Before we move on to discussing Ottawa

nfreeman

Mine are:

1. Drury

2. Connolly

3. Miller

Honorable mention: Grier, Gaustad, Kalinin, McKee, Dumont, Pominville...ah, screw it, the entire rest of the team.

Watch out, Ottawa. If Miller stays in the zone you are going down.

Mine are:

1. Drury

2. Connolly

3. Miller

Honorable mention: Grier, Gaustad, Kalinin, McKee, Dumont, Pominville...ah, screw it, the entire rest of the team.

Watch out, Ottawa. If Miller stays in the zone you are going down.

Campbell ought to get #3 for throwing the Flyers into a tailspin for the rest of game one and game 2.

Philly never had an answer for Connolly. I guess I'd give him #1.

Numminen gets #2 in my book because he makes the PP work...

3rd - Drury

2nd - Miller

1st - Connolly

Honorable mentions:

Gaustad - Great game tonight...he was a force on faceoffs and played a great series at both ends of the rink

Kalinin - WOW...something clicked for Dmitri...he looked like an all-star D-man for the entire series.

Numminen - So, so steady. So, so good.

Grier - Scored 2 goals, set the entire tone for the series with his play in Game 1

Briere - How does a guy not play very well at all, look nervous for long stretches with the puck on the PP, and still end up as our leading scorer? This kid is unreal...if Buffalo goes deep, everyone will know who Danny Briere is by mid-June.

Dumont - Can't forget this guy! Big offense

Pominville - What a laser of a shot

Kotalik - finally turned his play around...was physical and had 2 really key goals

(I realize this is 11 stars...but wow. What a series)

Actually, I'll do 1st team and 2nd Team

First Team All Quarterfinals:

Miller

Connolly

Drury

Kalinin

Numminen

Second Team All Quarterfinals

Briere

Grier

Gaustad

Dumont

Pominville

Honorable Mention:

Kotalik/McKee

Shoot! How did I forget Campbell???? Agghhh!!!

1. Drury - Even when we lost, he STILL had a great game

2. Connolly - Really showed his scoring ability

3. Grier - I've been one of his biggest critics all year, but I'll say this....thank God we have this guy on our team in the playoffs. Phenomenal series all around, from hitting, blocking shots, scoring, grinding it out in the corners, and of course anchoring the PK unit. Phenomenal job.

To me, Miller is an honorable mention, IMO

1. Connolly - everyone who doubted that he would finally "get it" (including myself) have been proven 100% completely and totally wrong. The kid has matured and is playing with a confidence and poise I NEVER thought had more than a 25% chance of appearing.

2. Grier - he is the team's best penalty killing forward. He hit everything that was dressed like a pumpkin and moved. His scoring tonight was icing on the cake. He generated a lot of scoring chances. The kids on the Phlyers board that people like to link here hate the guy's guts. That to me is the icing on the cake.

3. Miller - he didn't get enough work and let in 2 poor (and very poorly timed) goals or he would have been higher. I didn't get to see the 1st tonight, but it sounds like he did what was necessary to let the rest of the boys take the game over. He was very good in the 1st and 5th games as well. He did what he needed to do when the Sabres really needed him to. Had he given up the Umberger goal in the 1st OT of game 1, this series could have gotten ugly, quickly. He didn't and the series didn't.

Honorable mentions - too many to mention.

D*mn, I just realized that I must be one of those dumb American hockey hating fans that SDS was talking about that hates European and Canadian players as I just noticed that my top 3 are all Yanks. U-S-A, U-S-A, U-S-A.

Off to Kanata. "We're going to the Capital of Canada." "You're going to Ottawa?" "No! Toronto!" (Or something to that effect. I think I need to see if "Canadian Bacon" is out on DVD yet. Sorry.)

1. Drury - gotta love the guy... where would we be without him.

1. Grier - doesn't have Afinogenovs legs, Connollys stick handling skills, or Kotaliks slapshot, but he does (for lack of a better term) "all the little things" (does throw some nice hits though). And, again, how does this series shape up without him? I love this guy.

2. Miller - gave up a couple bad goals, but shut em down the last two games. Stepped up when he had to. Hope he's ready for Ottawa. They will get their shots.

3. Lindy - Gotta give Lindy some credit.

Were I pressed I say GRIER for mvp.

Bring on the Sens!

Geaux Sabres!

I don't think I can pick 3, but I'll point out a couple things.

Griers multiple hits on Forsberg, specially in the beginning of the series, helped set a tone.

Kotalik led both teams in hits in game 2. Soupys hit.

Everyone of them said we weren't gonna be beaten up on.

Gaustad was a horse on the PK, along with his regular shift and on faceoffs.

Tallinder, Kalinin, McKee (with stitches in his mouth), Lydman all did an honorable job.

Connolly looked like a racoon tonite. :lol:

Roy played his best hockey, Pominville woke back up, even Vanek fought through checks and came back... occassionally.

Overall, I think Grier and Gaustad get unsung heros. I've been very critical of Grier, but did stonehands ever come to play.

I called it in 5, expecting them to lose gm 3, learn from it, and win game 4. I was off by one.

I watched gms 3 & 4 a couple times, and I swear up and down Philly did NOT win those games, we lost them both. That in itself was a great learning experience, leading to tonite's whipping. There was no way this team was going to make those same mistakes again.

Gonna be an exciting 2nd round...

So tough to name 3 people, since it was a total team effort. Look at the box score tonight, everyone contributed.

I cant include miller sinece that Umberger goal could have cost us the series.

1. Connolly - where did this guy suddenly come from. I am in awe (and so is everyone else i guess since other teams stand around watching him skate)

2. Grier - the kid has really stepped it up as a leader and playmaker - he was everywhere on the forechecks knocking Flyers off the puck.

3. McKee - Steday as she goes, adding some offense????, and playing solid solid D in our zone!

This is so friggggggen funnnn!

Go Sabes!

1- Tim Connolly (is he becoming a "superstar" before our very eyes? Dude is very skilled!)

2- Mike Grier (the guys works so hard, every shift, and added a little O to his reptoire for the playoffs. He was amongst the very best players on the ice for the Sabres in games 3, 4 and 5)

3- Ryan Miller (Rookie, has been solid for 6 games, let in one bad goal the entire series)

Most honorable of mentions: JP Dumont- I know you could pick any handful of guys (Drury, Briere, Pomminstein, Campbell), but the flying french-men has really come through in the playoffs. He was injured a lot of the year, got knocked around a lot by the Flyers, but just kept making plays in the offensive zone...these are the kinds of guys that we need to produce. In the past, our best offensive players have disappeared in the playoffs (think Miro)...

While I won't say he is one of the three stars of this series, Ales Kotaliks' shots are becoming one of my favorite parts of Sabres hockey this year. I have always loved the "snipers" (guys who can shoot from anywhere on the ice, with accuracy). His goal in tonights' game was a real thing of beauty...

EL CRUSHO'S 3 STARS!!!

1ST STAR: Daneil Briere - GWG in Deuce OT in Game 1, 3 goals, 6 assists & +5 in the series, key player, what else is there to say, small guy with alot of heart who can lead our team, Briere is the new LaFontaine in my eyes, kinda looks like em juuuust a tiny bit 2...

2ND STAR: Mike Grier - Without Grier our PK would have been nothing...2 Goals (1 SHG) 3 assists, +2 , all of which came on the road, and 1 big driving force...I want a Grier Jersey which I also said in last nights chat and I'm not joking, he Rules!

3RD STAR: Chris Drury - Another players that excels on the PK. 3 Goals and 6 Assists. Forsberg could not match up, that won't bode well in Philly considering Forsberg makes $5.75M compared to Drury's $3.02M

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Ryan Miller - 12 Goals against in 5 games = 2.21 AVG on 137 shots but one big Stat - 4 WINS, 1 BIG shutout and a .912 SV%. Miller stepped up when he needed to, now he needs to take it to the NEXT level for Round 2, It's Milla Time baby!

'Tiny' Tim Connolly - Tiny Tim is no more, Any One calling Tim Tiny will feel the wrath of El Crusho. 3 Goals (GWG in game 5), 5 Assists, +2, & 1.33 PPG. His Bald head is good luck I swear, A Local Boy is always going to be a fan Favorite... Tim turns 25 on Sunday, Wish him a happy birthday someway if you see him around town, How do I know this well because his birthday is in 1981, same with me

And last but not least, the Camera Guy below 203 that put me on TV for Game 2 :lol:

1. Grier

2. Drury

3. McKee/Miller

The PK this series was great.

Most unexepected contribution: Pyatt. Its going to be hard to take him out of the lineup.

And the mess with your heads because we no longer respect you move:

Ruff putting the Connolley line out to start the game to match with Forsberg. Ruff had Hitch's head spinning last night from the first drop. I am proud to have Lindy as coach.

Most unexepected contribution: Pyatt. Its going to be hard to take him out of the lineup.

And the mess with your heads because we no longer respect you move:

Ruff putting the Connolley line out to start the game to match with Forsberg. Ruff had Hitch's head spinning last night from the first drop. I am proud to have Lindy as coach.

Great point X...I think Lindy out-coached Hitchcock all series long. The Flyers did a nice job slowing down our PP for a couple games, but other than that, this was Ruff's series the whole way through.

For me it had to be:

1. Briere

2. Campbell

3. Miller

I picked campbell because that hit in game 1 probably swung the momentum and feel of the series right over to buffalo... and he carried himself very well throughout the series.

So tough..

3-Miller...yes he gave up a few goals, but rookie goaltender in first series played strong gave us 4 wins and goaltending wins championships, big stepping stones in games 5 and 6, should be confident and tight going into ottawa

2-Drury...shut down peter forsberg..no small task, leader on the ice and in the locker room, did what a captain does, lead by example

1-Danny B...absolute playmaker, everyone in the NHL will know his name come July, from winning games to setting up goals hes a force...

Very Honorable mention

Grier....Animal out there, throughout the season i was not one of his biggest fans, he set the tone in game 1 and didnt let up, hes a leader and will be so throughout this run

Not many defensemen being mentioned, which is too bad. Lydman recovered from his Game 1 funk. Kalinin was fantastic, joining the rush and getting involved physically. McKee. Nothing more to say. Those two syllables suffice. And on.

Can anyone remember Philly getting a rebound chance in this series?

Not many defensemen being mentioned, which is too bad. Lydman recovered from his Game 1 funk. Kalinin was fantastic, joining the rush and getting involved physically. McKee. Nothing more to say. Those two syllables suffice. And on.

Right on, PA Fan. I think our D was outstanding, top to bottom. McKee -- just a rock. Campbell -- solid skating, I don't remember many turnovers, and of course that Terminator moment. Teppo -- you said it best yourself above. Kalinin -- turning into a top 2 defenseman again on both ends. Henrik and Toni -- 21-22 minutes of solid positional play, good skating and good breakout passing every time out.

Even though everyone was hollering for us to pick up another defenseman, perhaps it's a good thing after all that we didn't trade for Gauthier (whom I believe was the only defenseman traded into the eastern conference at the deadline this year). I certainly wouldn't have wanted that punk on our team in place of any of our top 6.

As far as the rebounds, though, Miller also deserves credit for not giving up too many meaty ones.

Go Sabres.

Sorry, I'm not taking Timmy off my list. "2 out 3 ain't bad." It is a little interesting that none of the three you mentioned were ones I picked...

Archived