Official Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller’s Number on January 19, 2023

Brawndo

I can see honoring the player and their number, but I'm not sure the numbers should be retired except for rare circumstances. It might be better to more or less reserve the numbers as in not handing them out to camp bodies, AHLer's or fringe players. It was always an honor to put on a jersey where the number meant something to the team.

• Like (+1) 1

September 30th, 2050. The Buffalo Sabres pioneer using letters instead of numbers on NHL jerseys because they only have 22 unretired numbers left. "This is a great day for the NHL and the Buffalo Sabres. Using letters gives so many more combinations for the players to choose from. 26*26 is 672 combinations; it's unlikely we'll retire that many for at least a few decades," said Sabres President of Hockey Operations Cody Eakin. Head Coach Victor Olofsson agreed, stating, "It's good to see the players and fans embracing this new avenue for creativity. I already saw a fan in the stands with "PP" and the name "Drunkard" on the new Blue, Gold, Red, Black, and Silver jerseys released last week."

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Unpopular opinion.... Miller was good, had a couple excellent season, but I don't agree he was "retire his number" good. 

In episode 120 of the After The Whistle podcast, Brian Gionta disagrees with you.  Near the end. 
https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9mZWVkcy5idXp6c3Byb3V0LmNvbS8xODY5ODAwLnJzcw/episode/QnV6enNwcm91dC0xMDgwNDk2Mg?hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwjiw5jKwLT4AhWGTd8KHdsxCboQjrkEegQICRAH&ep=6

On 6/11/2022 at 10:03 PM, LGR4GM said:

11 technically if we count his 3 game season, 15 game rookie year, and the season he was traded. But hey, you were just in a rush to bully and insult me for a take you don't agree with. I get it. 

Edit: He played parts of 8 seasons with other teams not 7. Just wanted to make sure we get the count right. 

Sorry, haven't been around for a bit. I just like stirring ***** up with you. Believe me, I'm no bully. I know how much time you put into research, analytics (which I hate) and prospects. It's all good!!

• 1 month later...
  • Brawndo changed the title to Official Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller’s January 19, 2023
  • Brawndo changed the title to Official Sabres to Retire Ryan Miller’s Number on January 19, 2023
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.