Per Source Pegulas Have No Plans to Hire a POHO

Brawndo

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Truly doubt Scandella would've been part of a package for a 2C, unless TWO D went out in that trade.  He was playing well this year after a very bad year but wasn't a key target from anyone, especially being a pending UFA.  Montreal absolutely maxed out his value and only roll because of Bouwmeister's condition.  (Timing helps.)

Again.  I am not saying that Scandella is directly part of a package for a 2c when we already know we are sending out a top 4 defense.  The ASSET acquired for Scandella is more important than Scandella.  We missed a great opportunity to get a #2 that could have been part of the package to get a 2C.  In that way Scandy could be indirectly part of the deal for a 2C.  Very plausible scenario that I propose. 

This is a simple concept, that these assets and trades can affect the product on the ice. 

YES, Timing helps - so far four defensemen have been traded at the deadline and the lowest return is a 3rd rounder.   Scandy brings in a 2 and a conditional 4.  EVERY GM in the league knows that defensive depth is critical going into the playoff and teams will pay, or overpay, for that insurance.  

Yes, Timing helps - that is why acquiring a stockpile of defensemen and holding them all season long when you have the weakest top 6 and top 9 forwards in the league is not a way to succeed for that season. 

Yes Timing helps - which is why trading ROR hours before his bonus is due is going to get you a bad return. 

I understand timing, its our GM that seems to have trouble with the concept. 

4 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

This team is in the playoffs if he doesn't make the O'Reilly trade. That move alone,  and the fact they still have no replacement is grounds for dismissal.  That is the worst trade in Sabres history and he's still here?

For about the 100th time, no they wouldn't be if Ullmark is still injured and Hutton plays as horrible as he has been.  ROR was on that dead-last team that didn't turn around until coaching change and new goalie.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They are related if you believe that Scandella could have in some way been in the package to get a 2C.  Which I do.   Example:  get that #2 pick for Scandella.  Use that pick in whatever you package for a 2C.  There, they are related now.  All assets are interrelated and one deal can impact the next.  

I am saying that stockpiling defensemen, waiting all year for a trade while rotating 7, and then mismanaging the assets you have all go together.  My main point has been that I believe we are in a weaker position to acquire a 2C right now.  I prefer he waits until the off season so we can look at free agents too.  

My confidence in JBot is very low.  

But they could still make the trade without the extra 2nd.  Just use their own 2nd.  That would be supplemental piece in a 2C trade.  It wouldn’t stop a trade from happening.  That’s exactly what I mean.  Scandella isn’t the difference between being able to or not being able to trade for a 2C.

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

For about the 100th time, no they wouldn't be if Ullmark is still injured and Hutton plays as horrible as he has been.  ROR was on that dead-last team that didn't turn around until coaching change and new goalie.

But.....but....O'Reilly won the Conn Smythe....and....and Jerry Sullivan told me I MUST weep about that deal and be angry....and tweets were sent from other Buffalo sports media 'darlings' like Mike Harrington to get me mad about O'Reilly. How dare you bring facts and try to kill their joy ?

9 hours ago, Curt said:

But they could still make the trade without the extra 2nd.  Just use their own 2nd.  That would be supplemental piece in a 2C trade.  It wouldn’t stop a trade from happening.  That’s exactly what I mean.  Scandella isn’t the difference between being able to or not being able to trade for a 2C.

Ok, I give that technically, he isn’t the difference, but it would be far better to have two second rounders.  

I am burned that he got only a fourth for Scandella.  I lived through the Sabres - Canes series when we ran out of defensemen.  

Montreal knew thatt he was worth a two.  St Louis is very happy to get him. 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/blues-put-scandella-in-a-prime-spot-on-defense/article_f6c081bf-a037-553d-a636-9d05dac96c18.html

Edited by Pimlach

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Ok, I give that technically, he isn’t the difference, but it would be far better to have two second rounders.  

I am burned that he got only a fourth for Scandella.  I lived through the Sabres - Canes series when we ran out of defensemen.  

Montreal knew what he was worth a two.  St Louis is very happy to get him. 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/blues-put-scandella-in-a-prime-spot-on-defense/article_f6c081bf-a037-553d-a636-9d05dac96c18.html

I agree that the Bogosian and Scandella situations were both not handled optimally.  Yes, of course, it would be nice to have an extra 2nd.  And yeah, of course St Louis is happy to have Scandella.....they just traded for him.

I’m just saying that, either way, this situation is not making or breaking Buffalo’s ability to trade for a 2C.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.