Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GASabresIUFAN

Jay Bouwmeester Collapses on Bench

Recommended Posts

 

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/bouwmeester-hospitalized-but-alert-after-suffering-cardiac-episode-and-collapsing/article_e121798d-f74e-57dc-8180-477dd4518e43.html

Jay apparently is OK.  Similar incidents ended the careers of Rich Peverly and Jiri Fischer.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 years in the league... nothing to sneeze at.

Professional level sports puts far more stress on a human body than it was probably built to take, and in some cases you see something like this.  I read a remark that if this had happened in his hotel room, he wouldn't have made it, but I don't think his body would be stressed to the point that it would have triggered an event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very scary, especially since they said it was a cardiac event.  Might be a situation he can either take medication for and/or have a surgical procedure to fix but might also be an issue that doctor's may not clear him to play anymore.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it happened to me I don't think I'd *want* to play anymore, especially after a 17-year NHL career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If it happened to me I don't think I'd *want* to play anymore, especially after a 17-year NHL career.

Kyle Okposo is about to return to the ice — again. And he almost died. These guys are a different breed of cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boumeester is 5 years older than Kyle and has a Stanley Cup ring.  In his shoes, I hang them up.

I think there's a difference in the type of life-threatening event too.  From healthy to spontaneous cardiac arrest vs. reaction to a treatment following a concussion.  I'm not saying Kyle *shouldn't* hang them up, but I think his situation is different.  I think Kyle's primary concern at this point is early dementia/other symptoms from the concussions as he gets older, and each concussion will make things incrementally worse.  But the concern with playing is more about what happens in his later years, and it's easier for him to discount them. 

For Boumeester, the concern is dying at any moment if he continues to play.  It's much more immediate danger.  Unless they find a definite, treatable cause for his episode, I doubt he will be cleared to play again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from a medical perspective, I'm curious what caused the syncope and collapse. The differential is very large and can be anything from dehydration to cardiac arrest, and anything in between. 

 

I am glad he's well, but I believe his retirement is most like looming, he's had a hell of a career, no point in continuing the risk if it was something more along the serious side. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Coming from a medical perspective, I'm curious what caused the syncope and collapse. The differential is very large and can be anything from dehydration to cardiac arrest, and anything in between. 

 

I am glad he's well, but I believe his retirement is most like looming, he's had a hell of a career, no point in continuing the risk if it was something more along the serious side. 

 

This story lead to a couple of us friends being reminded how a mutual friend that was in great shape and just finished a winter triathlon almost died the same way from cardiac arrest due to dehydration.

What saved his life as with Bouwmeester was it happened in a public place and help was almost immediate. 

A little water goes a long way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, woods-racer said:

 

This story lead to a couple of us friends being reminded how a mutual friend that was in great shape and just finished a winter triathlon almost died the same way from cardiac arrest due to dehydration.

What saved his life as with Bouwmeester was it happened in a public place and help was almost immediate. 

A little water goes a long way.

I have always read that they should be given sugar or something with easily absorbed sugar that can be turned into glucose quickly as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

I have always read that they should be given sugar or something with easily absorbed sugar that can be turned into glucose quickly as well

For years after a good race I always slowly drank one of those big 32 ounce bottles of Gatorade on the way home. Just always thought it made me feel better than just water.

Now I know it wasn't just my mind, my body really was thanking me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...