Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Brawndo

2019 College UFAs

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Usually they get a standard ELC that burns year 1 of their deal immediately, gives them an incentive to leave college. Not sure about the exempt guys and the #of pro contracts. 

Burning a year off the contract is typically more for the underclassmen.  These college UFAs, most of the time, are already old enough where burning off a year doesn't actually change anything.

My ATO question was specific to the currently exempt guys.  I'd imagine that if guys like that are called up to the AHL, they do it on ATOs so that the team can retain their roster flexibility.  A roster of 46 vs. 48 really can change your immediate plans significantly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 8:27 PM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Limoges doesn't really do anything for me. I have seen him in person 7 or 8 times.  Meh.  Mason Jobst on the other hand...

I've seen Verroneau as well and liked him.

 

On 3/9/2019 at 10:51 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Finally looked over the list.  A goalie wouldn’t surprise me.  I like the descriptions of Sturm and Kuffner.  We need good two way forwards (Sturm) and finish (Kuffner).  Kuffner would be my priority.

The 2 bolded are linemates no?

If so, stick Casey at center.

Edited by Scottysabres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, shrader said:

Burning a year off the contract is typically more for the underclassmen.  These college UFAs, most of the time, are already old enough where burning off a year doesn't actually change anything.

My ATO question was specific to the currently exempt guys.  I'd imagine that if guys like that are called up to the AHL, they do it on ATOs so that the team can retain their roster flexibility.  A roster of 46 vs. 48 really can change your immediate plans significantly.

True but also if you are a 22yr old college grad it makes financial sense to get to your non elc contract ASAP. You can do that in 2 years instead of 3 if you get immediate playing time.

I honestly do not know about the exemptions or how they work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schuldt was to be the big name this year. Must not have had a good season. 

Doesn't look like much help coming from either the European leagues or the NCAA this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing like watching the leafs get better while the Sabres sink. Maybe Bots will surprise us with a college kid. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait a second.  All these years later and they're missing out on their chance to finally sign Taro?

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kurt.... Gosselin... 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8931fb4576674255

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8932da7052376863

Edited by LGR4GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Kurt.... Gosselin... 

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8931fb4576674255

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c8932da7052376863

 

It's an Amerk contract.  Nothing to see here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

who is the last college free agent (undrafted) who has made an impact in the NHL?

A huge impact? Martin St Louis 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

who is the last college free agent (undrafted) who has made an impact in the NHL?

Sadly this list doesn't include their previous team, but you'll find plenty.  It's all going to depend on your definition of "made an impact".  The recent part will also be somewhat limited since the list requires 100 games played.

 

Edit: And now I found this column through google which specifically describes a few.

Edited by shrader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got my software together for the year. I entered the 30 or so from the initial post. It likes mostly forwards. No one is NHL ready, but the favorite is Mitchell Chaffee. The top defenseman, Cooper Zech, who is really tiny, was signed by Boston's AHL team. Saccoman is interesting because he had a very good freshman year, then a terrible sophomore, then a better junior year.

The image is 4 or the better forwards

college ufa.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Martin St Louis 😏  Adam Oates, Blake Wheeler, Ed Belfour, Joey Mullen, Dan Boyle to name 6.

Erod has done a nice job for us. I’ve always liked Tory Krug.

Sheary Has been a solid pro. Even Ruhwedel and Schaller have carved out some decent NHL Pt.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tom webster said:

Blake Wheeler wasn’t an undrafted free agent. 

Going 5th overall, you might as well be undrafted.😀

At least I can understand the mixup on this one, becoming a free agent after refusing to sign with Phoenix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, utsvävande said:

Finally got my software together for the year. I entered the 30 or so from the initial post. It likes mostly forwards. No one is NHL ready, but the favorite is Mitchell Chaffee. The top defenseman, Cooper Zech, who is really tiny, was signed by Boston's AHL team. Saccoman is interesting because he had a very good freshman year, then a terrible sophomore, then a better junior year.

The image is 4 or the better forwards

college ufa.png

Well that makes me less excited. There aren't any good forwards? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, shrader said:

Going 5th overall, you might as well be undrafted.😀

At least I can understand the mixup on this one, becoming a free agent after refusing to sign with Phoenix.

Therefore making him a college free agent just like Vesey and Kevin Hayes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Therefore making him a college free agent just like Vesey and Kevin Hayes.  

Right, but the poster asked specifically about undrafted.  There's no need to dig in the heels here.  Typically it is going to be very different players that go the two routes.  Your guys are good players who have been recognized as such for years and choose to go that route.  The guys who are currently undrafted free agents today are more of the late bloomers.It is very rare for there to even be a drafted college free agent as of this calendar date, too many hoops to jump through, so they're not a relevant topic just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...