Yzerman Stepping Down as TB GM!

GASabresIUFAN

22 minutes ago, JJFIVEOH said:

He probably figures if he quits now, the new guy can take the fall for when they need to trade half the team to be able to afford to keep a team together. 

Yep, that sounds exactly like Steve Yzerman.  Good call.  I mean, when I think Steve Yzerman, I say to myself, "now there's a guy that quits.  He must be trying to scapegoat somebody."  Not a single ounce of respectable determination in that guy.  He's probably already trying to figure a way to quit the Detroit GM job in the first couple of weeks so he can blame Marion Ilitch for his inevitable dooming of that franchise.  That's why Yzerman quit Detroit before, so that Mike Ilitch would blame Ken Holland for Yzerman's meddling.  Yzerman's ruse was so successful, that when Mike Ilitch realized he had been bamboozled by Stevie Y, Ilitch croaked on the spot, and Ken Holland was convicted of murder.  Damn that Yzerman and his quittin' attitude and letting other guys take the fall.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Yep, that sounds exactly like Steve Yzerman.  Good call.  I mean, when I think Steve Yzerman, I say to myself, "now there's a guy that quits.  He must be trying to scapegoat somebody."  Not a single ounce of respectable determination in that guy.  He's probably already trying to figure a way to quit the Detroit GM job in the first couple of weeks so he can blame Marion Ilitch for his inevitable dooming of that franchise.  That's why Yzerman quit Detroit before, so that Mike Ilitch would blame Ken Holland for Yzerman's meddling.  Yzerman's ruse was so successful, that when Mike Ilitch realized he had been bamboozled by Stevie Y, Ilitch croaked on the spot, and Ken Holland was convicted of murder.  Damn that Yzerman and his quittin' attitude and letting other guys take the fall.

He sounds like a douche!

Tampa's D, right now, is a top 4 unit in the league - that one member (Stralman) is on a slow decline and the other was going to be a UFA (but extended, McDonagh) doesn't really do much to make Steve look bad. Hedman will continue to be a Norris candidate and winner, Sergachev is an absolute stud of a rookie, and Cal Foote is as rock solid a defensive prospect as can be. It might become their weak point in a couple of years but won't be bad for a long time.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

What smoke is coming from Tampa?

You see no smoke?

Owner thinks he's going to reward his GM with a longer term contract only to be told *sorry I'm burned out. I don't want to be GM, I'll just supervise *.

And what do you call when he just says I don't want to do this anymore but I still want paid (the supervisory role) with a year left on his contract other than  *quitting on the team*?

JJ made some valid points of cap hell about to present themselves, and conveniently he's bailing.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Big time!

And who are you referring to?

Because you love me right? Being as we are co-PA woods camping southerners and all....

and it's still August.

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

You see no smoke?

Owner thinks he's going to reward his GM with a longer term contract only to be told *sorry I'm burned out. I don't want to be GM, I'll just supervise *.

And what do you call when he just says I don't want to do this anymore but I still want paid (the supervisory role) with a year left on his contract other than  *quitting on the team*?

JJ made some valid points of cap hell about to present themselves, and conveniently he's bailing.

He wants to go home to his family and be the GM of the team he is nicknamed 'The Captain' of. The Bolts are not in cap hell, and if anyone had a plan or a way out of it, it was Yzerman anyways. Do they have some things to deal with? Sure. But they're far and away the Cup favorite this year, and are set for years to come. Why would you bail that scenario for some issues that may or may not be real, and head to a team in disarray, for any other reason than family and nostalgia

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He wants to go home to his family and be the GM of the team he is nicknamed 'The Captain' of. The Bolts are not in cap hell, and if anyone had a plan or a way out of it, it was Yzerman anyways. Do they have some things to deal with? Sure. But they're far and away the Cup favorite this year, and are set for years to come. Why would you bail that scenario for some issues that may or may not be real, and head to a team in disarray, for any other reason than family and nostalgia

Why not just finish out the year on your contract and go to your *home team* instead of all the drama? 

If he can't handle the pressure in Tampa then what's it going to be like in Hockey Heaven?

Just now, woods-racer said:

Why not just finish out the year on your contract and go to your *home team* instead of all the drama? 

If he can't handle the pressure in Tampa then what's it going to be like in Hockey Heaven?

He is finishing out his contract. By going into a different role he's helping Tampa better transition into their new GM

What pressure are you talking about?

3 minutes ago, WildCard said:

He is finishing out his contract. By going into a different role he's helping Tampa better transition into their new GM

What pressure are you talking about?

This is where we disagree. Stepping aside, a different role, a supervisory role or what ever you call it is quitting while earning a paycheck. He was hired to be the GM. Finish your contract, then negotiate your 1 year supervisory contract.

The pressure that's driving him to step aside and no longer be GM and spend more time with his family. If it's the job or his family the pressure is coming from I don't know, but there has to be pressure from somewhere to just quit. If there is no pressure he's just quitting to quit?

18 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

This is where we disagree. Stepping aside, a different role, a supervisory role or what ever you call it is quitting while earning a paycheck. He was hired to be the GM. Finish your contract, then negotiate your 1 year supervisory contract.

The pressure that's driving him to step aside and no longer be GM and spend more time with his family. If it's the job or his family the pressure is coming from I don't know, but there has to be pressure from somewhere to just quit. If there is no pressure he's just quitting to quit?

But it's not quitting. If it was quitting, he wouldn't be working there anymore, which he easily could have done. He has no obligation to get a 1 year supervisory contract. So let's he didn't switch roles and played out his last year as GM. Then they throw, BriseBois in there with no experience, alone, and say good luck as Yzerman leaves. Or, they let Yzerman switch roles, and now he can help BriseBois transition.

The plan is the 41-year-old BriseBois who had been an assistant to Yzerman since they joined the Lightning in 2010. For a number of years, he has been considered a future NHL general manager, and owner Jeff Vinik said the Lightning were lucky BriseBois wasn't hired by someone else.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ap-source-steve-yzerman-stepping-lightning-gm-57750221

It doesn't have to be pressure to want to do something; just because he wants to spend time with his family doesn't mean they're pressuring him into it, he can be a good dad/husband willingly

Be honest, I see this playing out as:

• Y is truly burnt out, and wants a smooth transition for BriseBois
  • After this year or maybe next, he'll re-energize
  • He'll decide he misses hockey and become the President and GM of the Wings.

I'll leave it to the observer to decide if it's calculated or it happens naturally.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.