Donald J Trump, your thoughts on his Presidency

LGR4GM

8 hours ago, Hank said:

Well, the process played out as we figured it would. Hopefully now Republicans and Democrats will focus on doing the jobs they were elected to do. 

You mean Mitch McConnell? He has several hundred pieces of house passed legislation on his desk that he has done nothing with. 

12 hours ago, Hank said:

Well, the process played out as we figured it would. Hopefully now Republicans and Democrats will focus on doing the jobs they were elected to do. 

It sure would be nice.  I'm not betting on it.

Long article.  Took a long way to get to the ultimate point at the end.  Well stated though IMO.

https://gfile.thedispatch.com/p/the-cult-of-unity-is-a-poison

I’ve been saying for 20 years that the cult of unity is a poison and that the hero in the American political tradition is not the mob, but the man who stands up to it. This week there was one hero and it wasn’t Donald Trump. 

40 minutes ago, Weave said:

Did I read correctly today that Trump’s federal budget proposal has more money allocated to military spending that the rest of the budget combined?

I did not see that, but good for him. 

Budget/spending primer: (numbers from fiscal 2019)

There are three main areas of spending/budgeting:

Servicing the national debt, 363B.

Mandatory spending, 2.73T.  Includes social security, medicare, medicaid, and welfare.  IOW wealth redistribution programs.

Discretionary spending, 1.02T.  Somewhat over half of this goes to military and veterans.  The rest is "everything else" not included above.

5 hours ago, 5th line wingnutt said:

I went to a bunch of websites this morning looking for actual info.  What I found was 97% spin and 3% numbers that were cherry picked to illustrate the websites point of view.  Nowhere did I find the basic numbers.  It is no wonder so many dislike and distrust the media.

I have no doubt that we likely have very different opinions on what constitutes spin.  LOL  Sometimes we just don't want to believe the results. At the end of the day it's the media that keeps us different from China or Russia.

If I had enough motivation to do it, the previous years budget is available on line for public viewing.  And the percentage increases that were proposed are well documented too.  It wouldn't be that difficult.

On 2/11/2020 at 3:34 PM, Weave said:

I have no doubt that we likely have very different opinions on what constitutes spin.  LOL  Sometimes we just don't want to believe the results. At the end of the day it's the media that keeps us different from China or Russia.

If I had enough motivation to do it, the previous years budget is available on line for public viewing.  And the percentage increases that were proposed are well documented too.  It wouldn't be that difficult.

Just addressing the bold. China and Russia use their media to influence their populations in accordance with a state agenda. Major U.S. outlets influence in accordance with political parties. Different in one way. Same in another.

8 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Just addressing the bold. China and Russia use their media to influence their populations in accordance with a state agenda. Major U.S. outlets influence in accordance with political parties. Different in one way. Same in another.

I disagree.  Only one major media outlet appears to be rather tied to a political party.  The others are tied to broadcasting what is profitable.  Sure, political leanings can be profitable, but only Fox is in lockstep with a party.  Right now it is virtually state run media. 

51 minutes ago, Weave said:

I disagree.  Only one major media outlet appears to be rather tied to a political party.  The others are tied to broadcasting what is profitable.  Sure, political leanings can be profitable, but only Fox is in lockstep with a party.  Right now it is virtually state run media. 

I think with Fox it’s Trump can do no wrong. Everyone else it’s Trump can do no right. Once in a while Van Jones says something positive about Trump on CNN and Nepolitano says something negative on Fox but for the most part the major outlets are echo chambers for the parties. 

I watch more CNN than Fox oddly enough. Not sure why. I skip through MSNBC because it’s weird how Maddow talks out of the side of her face. 

5 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I think with Fox it’s Trump can do no wrong. Everyone else it’s Trump can do no right. Once in a while Van Jones says something positive about Trump on CNN and Nepolitano says something negative on Fox but for the most part the major outlets are echo chambers for the parties. 

I watch more CNN than Fox oddly enough. Not sure why. I skip through MSNBC because it’s weird how Maddow talks out of the side of her face. 

I’m not surprised you’d think that but CNN was more than willing to criticize Obama and Clinton when it was warranted.