GDT Sabres at Montreal, 7pm, MSG

Eleven

Rule 69 has many scenarios. It's a very complicated rule, and how the NHL writes its rulebook doesn't help. But a goalie can initiate contact if he's in his crease in order to establish position. He can even use excessive force or "act in a manner that would otherwise warrant a penalty" to establish position and the goal is still disallowed. This is a scenario where an attacking player is in the crease.

Samson wasn't. It was a simple scenario where Samson made incidental contact with the goaltender who was in his crease. No goal and no penalty to Samson.

Read Rule 69. It's fun. And maddening. You'll lose faith in humanity.

i'll lose faith in humanity?  I watch the Sabres, FFS.  And NHL refs.  I doubt reading the rule is going to make anything worse.

But Samspn didn't initiate the contact. How is the incidental contact? He was simply standing there outside the crease.

If a goalie can initiated the contact with a player outside the crease and get a goal disallowed then the rule is worse then useless. Might as well say any contact with the goalie will void the goal. Total BS

i'll lose faith in humanity?  I watch the Sabres, FFS.  And NHL refs.  I doubt reading the rule is going to make anything worse.

Here's one:

A goalkeeper initiates contact with an

attacking player to establish position in

the crease by using excessive force or

acting in a manner which would

otherwise warrant a penalty, and the

attacking player vacates the crease at

the time a goal is scored.

Penalty to the goalkeeper AND no goal

But Samspn didn't initiate the contact. How is the incidental contact? He was simply standing there outside the crease.

If a goalie can initiated the contact with a player outside the crease and get a goal disallowed then the rule is worse then useless. Might as well say any contact with the goalie will void the goal. Total BS

Sampson skated into him.

If this isn't in Montreal, to restore a Price shutout in the final minute, initiated by Toronto, I don't think anyone has a problem with it.

It's amazing how many teams the league is cheating for — Toronto, Montreal, the Rangers — and yet they never win a Cup. What about when the Canadiens play the Leafs?

Here's one:

A goalkeeper initiates contact with an

attacking player to establish position in

the crease by using excessive force or

acting in a manner which would

otherwise warrant a penalty, and the

attacking player vacates the crease at

the time a goal is scored.

Penalty to the goalkeeper AND no goal

Sampson skated into him.

If this isn't in Montreal, to restore a Price shutout in the final minute, initiated by Toronto, I don't think anyone has a problem with it.

It's amazing how many teams the league is cheating for — Toronto, Montreal, the Rangers — and yet they never win a Cup. What about when the Canadiens play the Leafs?

People are calling it a bad call.  Not a conspiracy.

LTS, do you have a link to the Jbot interview?

Fuhr, I agree the DR was a terrible drafter at the end. However, nothing with ever change the verdict of TM as a GM. He had a clean slate. Unlimited resources, a mass of picks and prospects, and huge cap space. He still blew it. Hitting on a few draft picks only lessens the damage to the organization he caused.

I can't find a link.. honestly, who knew finding a replay of the Buffalo Sabres pregame show would be so hard?  Botterill speaks a lot about the AHL and its development.  He's asked about Guhle and brushes it aside by saying he's the #1 guy in Rochester and logging minutes and all situations and that's where he needs to be this year to help the team.  I think he mentions Ullmark's play as well and has no intention of bringing him up if he can avoid it.  It really sounds like the players who are pulled up are done so as not to disturb a core of players he wants learning the system in a lower key environment and learning to win and have success and then bring that up to the Sabres next year.

He has this year to play with whether the fan base agrees or not.  

I can't find a link.. honestly, who knew finding a replay of the Buffalo Sabres pregame show would be so hard?  Botterill speaks a lot about the AHL and its development.  He's asked about Guhle and brushes it aside by saying he's the #1 guy in Rochester and logging minutes and all situations and that's where he needs to be this year to help the team.  I think he mentions Ullmark's play as well and has no intention of bringing him up if he can avoid it.  It really sounds like the players who are pulled up are done so as not to disturb a core of players he wants learning the system in a lower key environment and learning to win and have success and then bring that up to the Sabres next year.

He has this year to play with whether the fan base agrees or not.  

I found the interview! It's on Sabres.com  under Sabres TV. Thanks.  I agree with your assessment.  That doesn't surprise me.  He needs Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Guhle, Nylander, Smith and Guhle to grow together and build a playoff team in Roch.  They will all be much better off for the experience.

I found the interview! It's on Sabres.com  under Sabres TV. Thanks.  I agree with your assessment.  That doesn't surprise me.  He needs Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Guhle, Nylander, Smith and Guhle to grow together and build a playoff team in Roch.  They will all be much better off for the experience.

Yep, but I'm hoping Guhle, Bailey, and Nylander in particular become full-time Sabres by next fall.

Nice.  I looked there but could not find it.  I'm either blind or it was added after I looked.  I'll go with blind (that's what my wife tells me)

Yep, but I'm hoping Guhle, Bailey, and Nylander in particular become full-time Sabres by next fall.

I think that's the case.  Botterill will go after new players to stock up Rochester.  He'll likely clear space on the Sabres roster for players who are doing well in the AHL.  I'll find a better thread to post in for next year.. I think we have one.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.