Something Housley should try regarding accountability

matter2003

I'm at a loss for what the issue is on this team but if I were the coach I would try the following.

After every win the players vote on the top 3 players of the game and after every loss, the bottom 3 players of the game. Not a secret vote...they have to do it out loud in front of the dressing room. No hiding or secret agendas here. It would force them to hold each other accountable...nobody is going to want to constantly get called out in front of the team.

The top 3 get the next practice off after a win. After a loss, the bottom 3 dont get to practice and instead have to help the equipment and laundry guys during practice and then after practice they have to come out and do bag skates for an hour.

I think after a few weeks of this there would be a pretty drastic change as good players get rewarded and bad players get punished. Nobody would want to end up in the bottom 3 doing Sorry and sweaty laundry and sharpening skates. Everyone would want the day off...

Edited by matter2003

You could lose the room pretty quickly with that and also run the risk of turning the room toxic. As the coach, you can be tough on everyone, be the bad guy and rally the team against you. Same thing with the military. Officers are taught to be tough on enlisted men to get them to bond together as a unit. Instead, you make them hold each other accountable by making them suffer together.

Lets say ROR is trying to do his own thing instead of listening to the coaches game plan. Give the team a choice that has to be unanimous: Either bag skate the entire team or make ROR sit a game. Lets say they all suffer with him a few games and do the bag skate. After 3 or 4 times of that someone is going to say it and not suffer for him. Imagine walking back into that room after sitting a game because your teammates said no. Then you don't have to play for the fans or the coaches, but the men next to you. If you get a repeat offender they'll either get with the game plan eventually or get traded. The thing is you have nothing to lose, even if it's one of your top guys. You're losing every game anyways.

Personally I'd choose someone in that room I think has the grit and drive to lead the others one day and single them out. Then, if they turn it around, put the C on their sweater. Then you can have the captain be the one choosing which player to bench next and they have the experience so no one can say they haven't been through it themselves.

You could lose the room pretty quickly with that and also run the risk of turning the room toxic. As the coach, you can be tough on everyone, be the bad guy and rally the team against you. Same thing with the military. Officers are taught to be tough on enlisted men to get them to bond together as a unit. Instead, you make them hold each other accountable by making them suffer together.

Lets say ROR is trying to do his own thing instead of listening to the coaches game plan. Give the team a choice that has to be unanimous: Either bag skate the entire team or make ROR sit a game. Lets say they all suffer with him a few games and do the bag skate. After 3 or 4 times of that someone is going to say ###### it and not suffer for him. Imagine walking back into that room after sitting a game because your teammates said no. Then you don't have to play for the fans or the coaches, but the men next to you. If you get a repeat offender they'll either get with the game plan eventually or get traded. The thing is you have nothing to lose, even if it's one of your top guys. You're losing every game anyways.

Personally I'd choose someone in that room I think has the grit and drive to lead the others one day and single them out. Then, if they turn it around, put the C on their sweater. Then you can have the captain be the one choosing which player to bench next and they have the experience so no one can say they haven't been through it themselves.

How would you lose the room by rewarding players who play well and calling out players who play poorly? By the players themselves.

If these players are that mentally weak then they need to be elsewhere.

Kind of interesting idea.  The OP is proposing a sort of soccer relegation approach to the roster after wins and losses.  

I don't think this would work or solve the problem in the intended manner however.

The problem with this club is that there is not a core of inherent team leaders pulling the team forward from the top.

That group should be led by Eichel, Reinhart, and ROR.  They are supposed to be the 3 best players on the team most nights and they need to lead by example and work ethic.

That is not happening b/c it is not in those guys to play in that manner, by nature.

It is the same problem we had prior to the breakup of the old core.

You solve this problem by eliminating players and replacing them with players of a different makeup.

I feel we are 6 or 7 bodies away from being where we want to be.

Unfortunately, Eichel is part of the problem, big time, in this regard.  He may grow out of it.  Let's hope so.

He is still a baby.

How would you lose the room by rewarding players who play well and calling out players who play poorly? By the players themselves.

If these players are that mentally weak then they need to be elsewhere.

What if you are said player that gets called out for playing poorly but you don't feel you did. You think the players who called you out have an agenda and are trying to run you off the team. You don't think that'd going to cause any issues?

What if you are said player that gets called out for playing poorly but you don't feel you did. You think the players who called you out have an agenda and are trying to run you off the team. You don't think that'd going to cause any issues?

Oh well.  Take their marshmallow soft mindset and leave then.  Not like they are doing anything as it is.

Oh well. Take their marshmallow soft mindset and leave then. Not like they are doing anything as it is.

Jordan Nolan already spoke to this. He said in LA, players would let others know if they made an unacceptable play. No voting necessary, just tell someone to their face they aren't cutting it. I'm not sure the Sabres have players wiling to do that.

Oh well. Take their marshmallow soft mindset and leave then. Not like they are doing anything as it is.

Jordan Nolan already spoke to this. He said in LA, players would let others know if they made an unacceptable play. No voting necessary, just tell someone to their face they aren't cutting it. I'm not sure the Sabres have players wiling to do that.

Great conversation going on right now with Schopp & Bulldog and Rob Ray on Gr-55.

Talking about accountability in the locker room and the dynamics of how that should work and Jordan Nolan's comments. 

Listen for it when it is recorded at wgr550.com.

It will probably be recorded under its own title of "rob ray joins schopp & bulldog" but it is taking place at @ 4:20pm in hour 2 of the show.

Rayzor said countless players told him over the years "Thanks for the wakeup call last night I needed it" and that sort of thing...and that on a good team players should not mind being called out by a teammate in a constructive manner to get it in gear...no one doing that on this team currently.

Rayzor said the team in Ottawa when he played there was the same; no one would criticize anyone else around them and team suffered as result.

Great conversation going on right now with Schopp & Bulldog and Rob Ray on Gr-55.

Talking about accountability in the locker room and the dynamics of how that should work and Jordan Nolan's comments. 

Listen for it when it is recorded at wgr550.com.

It will probably be recorded under its own title of "rob ray joins schopp & bulldog" but it is taking place at @ 4:20pm in hour 2 of the show.

Rayzor said countless players told him over the years "Thanks for the wakeup call last night I needed it" and that sort of thing...and that on a good team players should not mind being called out by a teammate in a constructive manner to get it in gear...no one doing that on this team currently.

Rayzor said the team in Ottawa when he played there was the same; no one would criticize anyone else around them and team suffered as result.

It's the difference between players who strive for greatness and players who accept mediocrity

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.