Training camp questions #7: what do we need to add before the season begins?

dudacek

September isn't for the big splashes, but it can be for the tweaks, the lower-level free agent, the waiver wire pickup, the minor trade.

What kind of depth move do you think the Sabres need to make to strengthen the mix or add a missing element prior to the puck being dropped for real?

I'll be honest, I don't think there's anything more to be done unless they can do some addition by subtraction. 

I'm on this train of thought too. I don't think we'll add anything but if would be great if a competitive team suffered a string of injuries and we were able to offload somebody like Gorges to them. I don't think it will happen until closer to the trade deadline but there's always a chance.

I think we need one winger if Sam plays wing and two if he doesn't.

One of those guys needs to be able to score and we also need speed and forechecking on the wings.

I am fully on board with giving the Rochester four (95, 13, 92 and 24 - every one with a new and improved number) first crack at those roles.

Edited by dudacek

I think we need one winger if Sam plays wing and two if he doesn't.

One of those guys needs to be able to score and we also need speed and forechecking on the wings.

I am fully on board with giving the Rochester four (95, 13, 92 and 24 - every one with a new and improved number) first crack at those roles.

Let's get crazy - offer sheet Athanaseiou? He's having contract issues in Detroit

A defensively skilled center who can offload ROR so he's not completely worn out by Christmas (due to his vegan diet induced anemia).

Josefsson to surprise? (One can dream)

LW - Kane, Girgensons, Pouliot

RW - Okposo, Reinhart, Pominville

C - O'Reilly, Eichel, Larsson, Josefsson

That leaves 2 spots open up front, a LW and a RW. I don't expect anyone else to be brought in (Jagr? :p) unless all the competitors for those 2 spots crash and burn in camp. Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, Nylander, Rodrigues, Smith, Moulson, Deslauriers. I think 25% of those guys can step up and earn them. It's shaping up to be a healthy competition.

D - Scandella, Ristolainen, McCabe, Bogosian, Beaulieu, Antipin

I honestly don't think there is a legitimate D competition in camp for a starting spot. The first 4 are locks. Unless Beaulieu craps the bed he's in the lineup. Antipin didn't come all the way over to ride the pine.

Oh wait, I just read that Bogosian has his first injury penciled in for September 21st, so he'll need supplanting.

Falk, Fedun, Gorges (Tennyson?, Goloubef?) fight it out for 7th D-man status.

G - Lehner, Johnson

---

So I don't think they'll be making any further additions leading into camp. What I'd like to see is the addition of years to Eichel's scheduled term in Buffalo.

Edited by Thorny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.