MSG - Wanna buy a TV Network?

LGR4GM

http://nypost.com/2017/07/18/no-one-wants-to-buy-james-dolans-tv-networks/

Interesting to know that the tv network is actively being shopped.

Probably believes (as do the non-bidders ;)) that w/ the uncertainty of how people "cutting the cable" will end up playing out that the network is overvalued & wants to "sell high."

Live sports are one of the last things keeping cable subscribers re-upping. Could definitely see cable sports networks revenues decreasing as cable companies lower rights fees they're willing to pay (or maybe the per viewer fees go up though for a far smaller viewership) as they have significantly reduced incomes.

There may also be a longer range plan to eventually bring the broadcast of local games under the NBA & NHL TV monikers & either have the leagues handle production costs or (more ideally from Dolan's point of view) have the network partners like CBC (hockey) or TNT (bounceyball) pick up the production costs for games they don't broadcast (like the NFL forces CBS to do for the 1/2 schedule of Thursday night games CBS doesn't air yet staffs) as a cost of getting the games they do.

If the major sports aren't available to the regional sports networks, their values plummet. Dolan would know if such plans are in the works.

Sorry for the incongruent post. Just some ottomh thoughts about WHY they'd be looking to sell.

Not that I have any faith in the league being able to pull this off, but I think the NHL is sitting on a golden opportunity to shake up the "broadcasting norms" for sports and they should look into delivering their games via legitimate streams and dump NBCSN or whatever they have that shows 1 or 2 games a night.

Want to grow your product? Make it easily available. Let people watch out of market games, implement a plan to end the insane blackout restrictions.

Yes, I know they have NHLtv or whatever, but that product is crap. I refuse to pay for a subscription to a sports league that doesn't allow me to watch playoffs. What's the point? There is so much money to be made on targeted online revenue. Imagine how many people you can reach if they'd embrace the future and open up access.

There's no way this will ever happen because the league is run by dinosaurs.

Not that I have any faith in the league being able to pull this off, but I think the NHL is sitting on a golden opportunity to shake up the "broadcasting norms" for sports and they should look into delivering their games via legitimate streams and dump NBCSN or whatever they have that shows 1 or 2 games a night.

Want to grow your product? Make it easily available. Let people watch out of market games, implement a plan to end the insane blackout restrictions.

Yes, I know they have NHLtv or whatever, but that product is crap. I refuse to pay for a subscription to a sports league that doesn't allow me to watch playoffs. What's the point? There is so much money to be made on targeted online revenue. Imagine how many people you can reach if they'd embrace the future and open up access.

I'd love if this came to pass. It won't unless the entire cable/satellite business model implodes. NBC and Rogers alone are paying the NHL $240M per year for broadcast rights. I have a hard time believe there are enough people that are going to seek out the NHL online that advertisers are going to trip over themselves to pay for "air" time. Just doing the math, $240M means you need nearly 5 million people to shell out $50 each per year. That's a lot. Only two of the six SCF games this year drew more people than that; if there aren't enough people dedicated to watching the finals, I doubt you're going to find enough that are going to shell out.

This doesn't even take into account local deals. The largest TV deals are $30-$45M per year, my very-ballpark figures that the 31 teams' local deals bring in at least another $300M.

Edited by MattPie

I have directv solely for MSG, would be great to have a cheaper legal alternative eventually somehow.

Just buy NHL.tv and pay for a VPN service. It's kinda cheating but they're still getting their money, and it's not like you aren't already paying for the internet service. Given that the illegal alternative is just viewing free illegal streams of NHL.tv though ad-heavy websites, you've got the moral high ground if you're paying for NHL.tv and just using a VPN to see your local team. 

I'd love if this came to pass. It won't unless the entire cable/satellite business model implodes. NBC and Rogers alone are paying the NHL $240M per year for broadcast rights. I have a hard time believe there are enough people that are going to seek out the NHL online that advertisers are going to trip over themselves to pay for "air" time. Just doing the math, $240M means you need nearly 5 million people to shell out $50 each per year. That's a lot. Only two of the six SCF games this year drew more people than that; if there aren't enough people dedicated to watching the finals, I doubt you're going to find enough that are going to shell out.

This doesn't even take into account local deals. The largest TV deals are $30-$45M per year, my very-ballpark figures that the 31 teams' local deals bring in at least another $300M.

The idea in my head was geared to the US / International (non-Canadian audiences) because if I remember correctly the Rogers deal is enormous.

My dream scenario is that some online giant (like yahoo, twitter, facebook or Amazon, etc.) strikes aggregating local broadcasts where you sign on and just select which feed you want to watch, eliminating National broadcasts like NBC or whatever. I've never turned on a broadcast and thought "oh wow, we get the national broadcast, this is way better".

It'd be tough to pull off and would be risky and would probably start by losing a lot of money, but I think if the NHL truly embraced sports for cord-cutters, they could grow the game immensely. They could be pioneers here.

Just buy NHL.tv and pay for a VPN service. It's kinda cheating but they're still getting their money, and it's not like you aren't already paying for the internet service. Given that the illegal alternative is just viewing free illegal streams of NHL.tv though ad-heavy websites, you've got the moral high ground if you're paying for NHL.tv and just using a VPN to see your local team. 

This doesn't get around being able to view the playoffs, which in my mind is the whole point of subscribing.

Eh I dont have internet at my house the no playoffs is a big loss though if I went that route. Thanks for the idea though I'm always all ears for suggestions. $1200 a year just to watch hockey from direct tv ($100 x 12 months).

The idea in my head was geared to the US / International (non-Canadian audiences) because if I remember correctly the Rogers deal is enormous.

My dream scenario is that some online giant (like yahoo, twitter, facebook or Amazon, etc.) strikes aggregating local broadcasts where you sign on and just select which feed you want to watch, eliminating National broadcasts like NBC or whatever. I've never turned on a broadcast and thought "oh wow, we get the national broadcast, this is way better".

It'd be tough to pull off and would be risky and would probably start by losing a lot of money, but I think if the NHL truly embraced sports for cord-cutters, they could grow the game immensely. They could be pioneers here.

This doesn't get around being able to view the playoffs, which in my mind is the whole point of subscribing.

Eh I dont have internet at my house the no playoffs is a big loss though if I went that route. Thanks for the idea though I'm always all ears for suggestions. $1200 a year just to watch hockey from direct tv ($100 x 12 months).

Good point on the playoffs. I ended up watching via illegal streams on reddit this year since it was the only option.

I would pay extra to get the playoffs if NHLtv offered it. 

Good point on the playoffs. I ended up watching via illegal streams on reddit this year since it was the only option.

I'd gladly pay for NHLtv if the playoffs were included as well. I don't own a TV so even if I wanted to sign up for cable television (which will never ever happen) I don't have the ability to. I'm forced into the Reddit / private facebook streams for the playoffs and regular season and while I can get the games, sometimes it's a hassle, a hassle I'd gladly pay to get rid of if the NHL gave me a chance to pay for it.

Ugh, this post is making me think about cable television and I'm getting the shudders. Whenever I go home to my parents I'll throw on the TV and turn it off after 15 minutes. It's beyond me how people can sit through so many commercial breaks.

Someone is going to do this; I'd put money on it being the NBA. NFL won't because most of their stuff is still on broadcast, and the NBA is forward thinking enough to pull this off. 

Heck, the NHL and NBA should pair up, get me both leagues for a decent price with good streams that will work on any of the 10000 devices you're able to stream on now. I don't watch much NBA because its barely worth the pain in the ass to watch the games I care about, that means games I'm casually interested in definitely aren't worth it. But put it on my apple TV/Xbox/firestick/chromecast/computer/window/rock/smart-fridge without having to reload it 6000 times a game? Sure, i'll watch some games.

The problem with all the streaming stuff is monetizing it, but I think people streaming at home would be willing to still watch commercials if it meant ease of access to all the games they can ever watch.

I just cut the ties with cable a month ago. The only thing I want to watch would be the local networks, and Sabres games. From what I have read here, it sounds like if I am logged in through a VPN, I can get the NHL ticket and stream games. Is there any other way to watch Sabres games with DirectTV or Spectrum?

I just cut the ties with cable a month ago. The only thing I want to watch would be the local networks, and Sabres games. From what I have read here, it sounds like if I am logged in through a VPN, I can get the NHL ticket and stream games. Is there any other way to watch Sabres games with DirectTV or Spectrum?

You either need to buy cable TV or do the NHL.tv service and use a VPN. 

Or go to the bar. 

Note on playoffs: Youtube TV signed up NBC, so it looks like for $35 month (no commitment), you should be able to get NBC and its hench-networks and see the majority of the playoffs. I'd guess NHL Network won't be on there so games there may be tricky.

On VPNs: the NHL wrote some language into the agreement that using a VPN for NHLtv could result in loss of service and a $400(?) cancellation fee. I'm not sure if they enforce that; I'd be inclined to take my chances.

The future is full streaming and only paying for the services you want. I will never watch ESPN accept for the rare instances my college team plays there. I will never watch it but I should pay extra money to my cable company to get 17 versions of ESPN. I'm a millennial, I want it now, I want it without other crap, and I don't want any BS blackout restrictions. The NHL could be out in front of this but they won't be because they want that guaranteed money. 

The future is full streaming and only paying for the services you want. I will never watch ESPN accept for the rare instances my college team plays there. I will never watch it but I should pay extra money to my cable company to get 17 versions of ESPN. I'm a millennial, I want it now, I want it without other crap, and I don't want any BS blackout restrictions. The NHL could be out in front of this but they won't be because they want that guaranteed money. 

I agree, that's what most of us want too. I'm just not sure the economics work out that you're not going to end up paying $300 in subscriptions.

Note on playoffs: Youtube TV signed up NBC, so it looks like for $35 month (no commitment), you should be able to get NBC and its hench-networks and see the majority of the playoffs. I'd guess NHL Network won't be on there so games there may be tricky.

On VPNs: the NHL wrote some language into the agreement that using a VPN for NHLtv could result in loss of service and a $400(?) cancellation fee. I'm not sure if they enforce that; I'd be inclined to take my chances.

Good call with YouTube TV. I think that'll end up being something I can get on Sling or Roku if I want later, right? 

I'm not worried about their VPN rules. So many people do it. I get the feeling the NHL is perfectly fine taking people's money for the service and ignoring whatever they do with it. I would imagine the guys who ustream their NHL.tv feeds for free are a bigger annoyance since that's just giving the product away. 

I agree, that's what most of us want too. I'm just not sure the economics work out that you're not going to end up paying $300 in subscriptions.

no you won't because the market wouldn't bear that. There's a reason netflix doesn't cost 100$ a month. There is a reason people won't pay 200$ a month for cable. It isn't worth it. 

no you won't because the market wouldn't bear that. There's a reason netflix doesn't cost 100$ a month. There is a reason people won't pay 200$ a month for cable. It isn't worth it.

It will get there soon enough. Sunday Ticket already runs close to it (6 payments of like 45 bucks or so) and Center Ice used to run about $160 (4 payments of 40 bucks) the last time I paid for it 4 or 5 years ago. I'm not sure about NBA or MLB but I imagine they fall somewhere in between the NHL and NFL with prices going up each year faster than regular inflation rates.

I can remember having directv bills north of 200 dollars (not including internet) during months where I was paying for subday ticket and center ice at the same time.

And that was years ago. It's probably even more expensive now.

I appreciate the guidance. Is there a free, reliable VPN service that you'd recommend?

Also, is there anything preventing someone from streaming on multiple devices? To be more specific, if I were to go in with someone else and split the nhl.tv package, could we both use one account log in, which means only one bill, and watch from separate streams?

I appreciate the guidance. Is there a free, reliable VPN service that you'd recommend?

Also, is there anything preventing someone from streaming on multiple devices? To be more specific, if I were to go in with someone else and split the nhl.tv package, could we both use one account log in, which means only one bill, and watch from separate streams?

It's worth it to shell out the $5-$10 a month for a reliable VPN, I don't have any suggestions because I haven't used one for awhile.

When I used to subscribe to gamecenter back in the day you were unable to log in and watch simultaneously from multiple accounts.

It will get there soon enough. Sunday Ticket already runs close to it (6 payments of like 45 bucks or so) and Center Ice used to run about $160 (4 payments of 40 bucks) the last time I paid for it 4 or 5 years ago. I'm not sure about NBA or MLB but I imagine they fall somewhere in between the NHL and NFL with prices going up each year faster than regular inflation rates.

I can remember having directv bills north of 200 dollars (not including internet) during months where I was paying for subday ticket and center ice at the same time.

And that was years ago. It's probably even more expensive now.

160$ divided by 12 months in not anywhere close to 200$ per month. Pro sports are on the verge of pricing themselves out of markets. IMPO I think pro sports have gotten a little to big for their own good. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.