Playoffs, the only acceptable outcome

LGR4GM

I'm talking a frame of mind. This "well everything has to go right" attitude is crap. Either the only acceptable thing is the playoffs or you're playing with a defeatist attitude. Put up. Not put up or shut up. Just put up.

K. Kinda hard to argue with that.

Kind of a silly thread, though, 'cuz it's amazing what we will accept when we don't get what we want.

I'm talking a frame of mind. This "well everything has to go right" attitude is crap. Either the only acceptable thing is the playoffs or you're playing with a defeatist attitude. Put up. Not put up or shut up. Just put up.

I do not know if you were speaking directly to me, but your or my attitude has nothing to do with the fortunes of our team. Your or my expectations on the other hand directly effect your or my ability to handle those fortunes whether positive or negative. Positive thinking is generally good. Hubris is usually bad. YMMV.

It's a nice sentiment, but platitudes don't accomplish anything.

"You have to win with the team you've got."

We just need guys who play for the crest on the front of the jersey instead of the name on the back, man. We need guys who are willing to skate through a brick wall for their coach and guys who are willing to go to war with our opponents.

Captain America (Mr. Jack Eichel) just needs to motivate the troops and carry the team on his back to get us to the promised land. He hates to lose, you know.

Time to pull ourselves up by the boot straps and work hard. The team just needs to the exemplify a blue collar work ethic and bring their lunch pails to work with them.

In fairness though I think that already is the Buffalo Sabres actual mentality, hence firing the GM and HC. It's us fans that are making excuses not Pegula. He went full on scorched earth and were much better poised now because of it ☺

We just need guys who play for the crest on the front of the jersey instead of the name on the back, man. We need guys who are willing to skate through a brick wall for their coach and guys who are willing to go to war with our opponents.

Captain America (Mr. Jack Eichel) just needs to motivate the troops and carry the team on his back to get us to the promised land. He hates to lose, you know.

Time to pull ourselves up by the boot straps and work hard. The team just needs to the exemplify a blue collar work ethic and bring their lunch pails to work with them.

Exactly.  After all, Buffalo is a blue collar city.

Liger, i've been put of town for a week and I have been given this more thought and I'll ask some questions in return.

1) can a team with 3rd and 4th line centers of Larsson and Girgensons be truly considered a playoff contender?

2) is LW depth of Kane, Pouliot, Moulson and unknown good enough for a playoff contending team?

The more I think about these two questions, the more the Sabres look like an 82-87 pt team. Improved, but not good enough.

Liger, i've been put of town for a week and I have been given this more thought and I'll ask some questions in return.

1) can a team with 3rd and 4th line centers of Larsson and Girgensons be truly considered a playoff contender?

2) is LW depth of Kane, Pouliot, Moulson and unknown good enough for a playoff contending team?

The more I think about these two questions, the more the Sabres look like an 82-87 pt team. Improved, but not good enough.

1) I believe that yes it is good enough. However, we could also move Reinhart to center, and send girgs to the LW. This would make the Lw/C stronger but weaken the RW

2) As is I do not think the Lw is strong enough, but if we sign Vanek it could become manageable.

Jack Eichel. Our revived defense. Playoff team.

Pittsburgh has holes on the wing. They won a cup. Kane and Whomever emerges is good enough. Wings aren't what will make us a playoff team. Especially just 1 wing. The RW is solid.

Edited by LGR4GM

Jack Eichel. Our revived defense. Playoff team.

Pittsburgh has holes on the wing. They won a cup. Kane and Whomever emerges is good enough. Wings aren't what will make us a playoff team. Especially just 1 wing. The RW is solid.

I agree, though I really will be excited if we sign Vanek short term to help our left side and improve our even strength scoring.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.