Expansion draft and league-wide wheeling and dealing

Brawndo

How so?  If he falls flat on his face this year and is a bust, we'll get nothing fir him next year and we'll all agree that we should have traded him now.  If he turns into a superstar, then it's obvious we wont trade him.  Waiting does the Sabres no good, unless you're SURE he will become a superstar.  No one is sure.  If he can be traded for a sure thing now, I'd take it.  Now, what player is a sure thing that we could get now?

What if rather than a star he ends up a Patrick Sharp that belongs on the 2nd line but can play C or W & doesn't hose you if he has to play top line minutes for 20 or so games?

That player brings back a lot more than Reinhart does today, IMHO.

He's not falling flat this year. He's 21, has some of the best underlying numbers on the team, and increased his production in another year of dump & chase, which is categorically the worst type of hockey system for his skill set. 

He might not grow, but then his value will still be that of a 45-50 point winger.

That's what I'm saying.  You're sure.  I'm not.  If I can get a 50-60 point winger today, I take it. 

What're the details on the Hjal one?

Connor Murphy + Laurent Dauphin for Hjalmarsson.

Why tf weren't we in on that?

That's what I'm saying.  You're sure.  I'm not.  If I can get a 50-60 point winger today, I take it. 

Can you describe a circumstance in which Samson gets notably worse and tanks his value, and why it would happen, and then the likelihood of it happening?

What if rather than a star he ends up a Patrick Sharp that belongs on the 2nd line but can play C or W & doesn't hose you if he has to play top line minutes for 20 or so games?

That player brings back a lot more than Reinhart does today, IMHO.

I'm with you on that, Taro.

Can you describe a circumstance in which Samson gets notably worse and tanks his value, and why it would happen, and then the likelihood of it happening?

What the F'ing F?!?

To paraphrase Marco Rubio: let us dispense with this notion that Stan Bowman knows what he's doing.

Concussion.  Likelihood?  Ennis, Okposo, Fedun just this year.  I may have missed a few.

What the F'ing F?!?

To paraphrase Marco Rubio: let us dispense with this notion that Stan Bowman knows what he's doing.

There are no details on what else might be moving with Saad-Panarin, but unless CBJ adds significantly, the Hawks took a notable downgrade in talent at the same cap hit?

Concussion.  Likelihood?  Ennis, Okposo, Fedun just this year.  I may have missed a few.

Uh, the piece we get for Sam is just as likely to get a concussion? So we should immediately move that piece while its unconcussed value is still there too? 

Jack next, right? He could get concussed and has value now. He could fall off the table. And he actually has gotten rocked recently, unlike Sam.

If Sam should be moved because he might get concussed and lose his value, then every player should be moved for the same reason, and we shouldn't get any players back beause they might get concussions.

Edited by Randall Flagg

Fair enough. But man, who takes Hammer's spot in that lineup? Their top-4 is already lackluster since Seabrook's implosion.

I don't know at this point.  But I have a suspicion Quennville's time in Chicago is coming to an end.  He wants vets not kids and his relationship with Bowman is cool at best.  Taking away a crutch like Hammer and forcing rookies onto the big club will not set well.   

I mean I guess I understand getting younger from Chicago's side, as Hjalmarsson is 30, and getting a 24 yr old back, but Murphy is a low first and not really all that special IMO, and Dauphin is minimal value.

I think Saad's better defensively, but nowhere near enough to make up that scoring differential.

The only thing going for him is two more years of contract length. but that's a stretch in making up the value.

What the F'ing F?!?

Really though. I linked an article a couple weeks back examining Bowman's moves. 

tl;dr he's extremely overrated 

There are no details on what else might be moving with Saad-Panarin, but unless CBJ adds significantly, the Hawks took a notable downgrade in talent at the same cap hit?

They just ditched Hjal and are likely going to be free of Hossa, what could they possibly be freeing up cap for?

They traded the 7th best scorer over the past two years for the 62nd best scorer

Did I miss something?  Sounds like you are describing a trade of Saad for Panarin?  Panarin was a FA pickup.  Saad netted Artem Anisimov and Marko Dano.  was their another deal? 

Did I miss something?  Sounds like you are describing a trade of Saad for Panarin?  Panarin was a FA pickup.  Saad netted Artem Anisimov and Marko Dano.  was their another deal? 

Chicago just traded Panarin for Saad, yeah. They no longer have Artemi, the guy that scored more than every player but 6, and have instead Saad, who has scored fewer than 61 other players the last two years.

Is BRAWNDO on the toilet or something? He's gotta get the tweets in here!

Uh, the piece we get for Sam is just as likely to get a concussion? So we should immediately move that piece while its unconcussed value is still there too? 

Jack next, right? He could get concussed and has value now. He could fall off the table. And he actually has gotten rocked recently, unlike Sam.

If Sam should be moved because he might get concussed and lose his value, then every player should be moved for the same reason, and we shouldn't get any players back beause they might get concussions.

You asked for a reason.  You didn't say it had to be well thought out. ;)   How about he plays 3rd line center this year with two average wingers.  GMs see poor results and don't think he's a good enough center for 3rd line work and has proven to be just an average winger.  Can we get more today for Sam than we get next year as an average 3rd line center?

Chicago just traded Panarin for Saad, yeah. They no longer have Artemi, the guy that scored more than every player but 6, and have instead Saad, who has scored fewer than 61 other players the last two years.

Is BRAWNDO on the toilet or something? He's gotta get the tweets in here!

Ahh there it is on the local feed.  Wow.  I would say they are retooling on the fly and have to be in on Shattenkirk.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.