Dropbox alternative

JJFIVEOH

What is the best Dropbox alternative out there? My promo is ending and I'd like to have something that automatically uploads all my cell phone photos and then downloads them to any linked computers....... like Dropbox does. But, I do also like the share feature where I can create a link for any photo, video or album to share with anybody. Most don't have that feature. I like Amazon photos since I have Prime, and it's included with Prime. But I can't share with that. Dropbox wants $80 for a year but I have no need for 1TB of space. Any ideas?

Yeah, I use Google Drive for all that. Something like 10-15G of free storage. I move stuff easily between my phone and several different computers.

Google Drive.  Yeah, that's the name of it.  I don't have an account, but I have clients who use it to share large files with me.

What is the best Dropbox alternative out there? My promo is ending and I'd like to have something that automatically uploads all my cell phone photos and then downloads them to any linked computers....... like Dropbox does. But, I do also like the share feature where I can create a link for any photo, video or album to share with anybody. Most don't have that feature. I like Amazon photos since I have Prime, and it's included with Prime. But I can't share with that. Dropbox wants $80 for a year but I have no need for 1TB of space. Any ideas?

I had been paying for a Dropbox account, and it was easy to use so I had no complaints. I started looking at alternatives at the end of the subscription. It was at that time that I realized I had access to Microsoft OneDrive as a Office 365 subscriber. Office 365 is what I use to host my domain, and it gives me access to Word, Excel, Outlook, ... I am pretty sure OneDrive comes with 1TB and included in the fee for Office 365. It was a no-brainer to save on the fee for Dropbox and begin using the OneDrive in my plan.

Thanks for the input everybody. Does OneDrive or Google Drive allow you to share pictures and videos with links? I'll look into it and Highland today. Only reason I never considered Google Drive is I'm not big on Google controlling so much of everything I do. But, it's only camera pictures/video that I don't really care if people see.

I've heard Flickr is good but it's not a Dropbox alternative (from what I remember).

Thanks for the input everybody. Does OneDrive or Google Drive allow you to share pictures and videos with links? I'll look into it and Highland today. Only reason I never considered Google Drive is I'm not big on Google controlling so much of everything I do. But, it's only camera pictures/video that I don't really care if people see.

I've heard Flickr is good but it's not a Dropbox alternative (from what I remember).

Yes.  Well, Google Drive does for sure and OneDrive is a Google Drive rip off, so I think it would.

Google does control everything, but if you went OneDrive than Microsoft would, so no big difference there.

If you are strictly looking at mobile and not PC then you might want to consider WhatsApp.  It's great and can be used to do everything, but it can only interact with other WhatsApp users.  I use it to communicate with International friends mostly, but some local as well.

Yes.  Well, Google Drive does for sure and OneDrive is a Google Drive rip off, so I think it would.

Google does control everything, but if you went OneDrive than Microsoft would, so no big difference there.

If you are strictly looking at mobile and not PC then you might want to consider WhatsApp.  It's great and can be used to do everything, but it can only interact with other WhatsApp users.  I use it to communicate with International friends mostly, but some local as well.

NS is right on -- if you are concerned about Google, then Microsoft should also be a concern.

Going out on a limb and guessing NS is not a fan of Microsoft. I am not in love with OneDrive, but, as NS pointed out, it does the same thing as Drive, and is free for me.

With OneDrive, you can invite people to see certain directories/folders. You can also send permission via link for individuals to see certain files.

Honestly, I would not pay for OneDrive if it wasn't free. There are too many services out there that are free to have to pay for Dropbox or Citrix ShareFile. Google Drive is one of them, but if you Google search "sites like DropBox" or "best free alternatives to DropBox" you will be in good shape. Just a word of caution, some of those sites are owned by the company doing the list. So, their product appears as the top spot, and all the negatives for the other companies could be exacerbated.  

NS is right on -- if you are concerned about Google, then Microsoft should also be a concern.

Going out on a limb and guessing NS is not a fan of Microsoft. I am not in love with OneDrive, but, as NS pointed out, it does the same thing as Drive, and is free for me.

With OneDrive, you can invite people to see certain directories/folders. You can also send permission via link for individuals to see certain files.

Honestly, I would not pay for OneDrive if it wasn't free. There are too many services out there that are free to have to pay for Dropbox or Citrix ShareFile. Google Drive is one of them, but if you Google search "sites like DropBox" or "best free alternatives to DropBox" you will be in good shape. Just a word of caution, some of those sites are owned by the company doing the list. So, their product appears as the top spot, and all the negatives for the other companies could be exacerbated.  

Just never been a big fan of Google knowing everything I do. Email, browsing (I don't use Chrome). I guess since I'm on Windows, Microsoft is doing the same thing, just more discreetly. 

I'm a fan of Dropbox, I love that it's so simple. Take a picture and it's automatically synced to my computers. It's a pretty good service, just not willing to pay $80-$100 for 1TB. I'd be more than willing to pay the same as everybody else, $20 for a couple hundred gig. 

It's not so much the storage per se, it's the ease of use, syncing and sharing. 

From the looks of it, OneDrive isn't available for phones and tablets until the $70 package. But that comes with Office 365. Great deal if I needed Office 365. I'm still using Office 2013, so that might be an option. 

If it weren't for the sharing, SpiderOak One looks nice. I use their Encryptr tool for password storage, which is a cool no-knowledge (at least they claim) cloud storage. They can't unlock the files, and my password is never sent over the network; all they see is an encrypted blob on their storage and it's decrypted on my device. It's free.

SpiderOak One is their backup solution that works on a similar premise; everything is encrypted on the device so they cannot unlock it for anyone. They do have a "share room" concept where you can share a password with others and put things into that area for them to see, but that may be cumbersome for general sharing. (Note: I don't use this service, so I'm just reading about it)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.