Friedman's 30 Thoughts: The Eichel Edition

WildCard

The NHL’s top two scorers since Feb. 1 are Tampa’s Nikita Kucherov (36 points) and Buffalo’s Jack Eichel (34). Maybe that’s not a coincidence. “He is probably my favourite player in the league,” Eichel said of Kucherov during a conversation last Friday. “The subtle plays he makes. One thing he does really well is shoot through a screen. He can pick a small corner through both the screener and the goalie and put it there. That’s something I’d like to do, too.” Eichel said he watches more now, both for personal use and for fun. “If I’m not happy about my game, think I missed something or had a bad night…I’ll get my shifts right away and look. Last year, living with Matt Moulson, I didn’t watch much (for fun). Now, on my own, I do.” He named Sidney Crosby and Patrick Kane as others he studies. I don’t know if it can be quantified, but there’s something about players who watch more games. Teams definitely like to hear that. They think it makes a difference.

Eichel really didn’t want to blame the high-ankle sprain suffered the day before the season began as any kind of excuse. Pressed, he did admit it took him longer than he thought to get to full strength, but wasn’t eager to continue that line of questioning. We started talking about his desire to improve and he said he’s “always looking to become more dynamic.” How do you measure your success?

“Scoring chances. The number of quality plays I make. When I have the puck, am I making the right decisions? Am I forcing plays or am I making plays? Do I know where my linemates are?” He can kill you from the left half-wall on the power play, but he’s also working being dangerous nearer to the net. As I’ve spent more time around great players, I’ve enjoyed discussing their craft. Eichel is really good at explaining how he thinks.

The last thing I asked Eichel was if he enjoys the life. It’s been hard season in Buffalo, and it can’t be easy to see Connor McDavid stampeding towards the playoffs while Auston Matthews battles to get there. But he understood. “I’m 20 years old,” he answered. “I do not take this for granted. (Being in the NHL) opens so many doors, gives you opportunity to see incredible things.” Personal highlight? “I got to see Conor McGregor at Madison Square Garden. That was amazing.”

Laughed pretty hard when Eichel celebrated a huge goal against Toronto by celebrating right in front of Maple Leafs’ fans who bought the good seats in Buffalo. As a lifelong southwestern Ontarian, let me say this: the NHL is a better place when the Sabres, Leafs, and their fans hate each other.

The Buffalo News’ Mike Harrington wrote an interesting piece a couple of weeks ago, wondering if Sabres players were “tanking” to undermine head coach Dan Bylsma. He’s in the second year of a five-year deal, and if I was an owner, I wouldn’t be happy about that. Terry Pegula is already paying Rex Ryan not to work, and that’s not something I’d want synonymous with my name. To me, that’s failure. Eichel missed the first six weeks of the season. Evander Kane went down in Game 1 and needed a month to get back. Dmitry Kulikov was never healthy. I think you have to be realistic about where you are. If the Sabres do have an issue, it’s a divide between older and younger. The organization is in the process of turning over its roster. Losing causes fissures. Ice time changes, and the veterans don’t like it if they feel some of the younger players are not accountable. Edmonton went through this too. When you surpass expectations (Toronto is a good example), no one’s complaining.

There’s been a lot of speculation about Eichel’s college coach, Boston University’s David Quinn, being a potential Buffalo target down the road. San Jose interviewed him before hiring Peter DeBoer. Quinn’s got a great setup there. If he even wanted to leave, NCAA watchers think you’d really have to make it worth his while.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-david-poile-advice-vegas-golden-knights/

Edited by WildCard

Who are our vets?

Okoposo

Gionta

Moulson

Franson

Kulikov

Gorges

ROR?

Bogo?

Of the for-sure vets there is one player who is really an asset to this team (Oko) and one player who is alright (Gio). Otherwise, i'm not sure what the vets have to say about accountability to the younger guys. They signed large contracts and none have lived up to them.

I asked in another thread if Jack is to much of a perimeter player. Well apparently Jack thought the same thing. I dont think it is a coincidence that Jack's production blossomed as soon as he started molding his game more on Kane and Crosby who regularly score in the slot. Having the ability to score with blasts from the outside or by beating defenders in close makes Jack virtually un-stoppable. Now if we can just find him some linemates who get open consistently.

Edited by yse325

I find it hilarious how so many touted Moulson for being a solid vet influence on Eichel...and Jack's watching more film and doing more to improve himself without the old geezer.

The frozen snickers in that fridge had to be pretty distracting.

I find it hilarious how so many touted Moulson for being a solid vet influence on Eichel...and Jack's watching more film and doing more to improve himself without the old geezer.

Oh, I don't know.  In a rookie season I think the emphasis should be on what playing in the NHL is really like and to get grounded in your new home town.

Enter old geezer to help with that transition.  I still think it was a good idea to have Jack bunk with the Moulsons.

Now in his second year it is more appropriate to be on his own and working on his game.

Sincerely,

Another old geezer

I asked in another thread if Jack is to much of a perimeter player. Well apparently Jack thought the same thing. I dont think it is a coincidence that Jack's production blossomed as soon as he started molding his game more on Kane and Crosby who regularly score in the slot. Having the ability to score with blasts from the outside or by beating defenders in close makes Jack virtually un-stoppable. Now if we can just find him some linemates who get open consistently.

The frozen snickers in that fridge had to be pretty distracting.

Three great takes.

Insight, True.

I rembered your post when reading the excerpt, yse.

Funny, PA.

Edited by Neo

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.