What NHL Rule Changes Would You Like To See?

GASabresIUFAN

I don't think you can get rid of offsides.  But maybe you could alter it some to favor the offense:  To enter the zone you have have to on sides on the blue line, but to exit the zone the puck has to cross the center red line?  I don't know; that might be too weird.

They could get rid of the blue lines and use the red line for everything (icing, offsides for both teams).  That'd favor a speed game for sure.

They could get rid of the blue lines and use the red line for everything (icing, offsides for both teams).  That'd favor a speed game for sure.

I think I'd want to see that in the AHL or in preseason, with a thorough assessment.  I'd want to make sure there are no unintended consequences.

Get rid of the trapezoid - why punish goalies with good stick skills? 

There has to be a good middle ground for interference on dump-ins. Last year's touch and be called and this year's no-called-nigh-tackles are the ugly extremes. Make well timed hip checks a thing again.

Remove offsides challange or make it 1 min review TOPS. The delay even when correct kills the mood. 

Make the front of the blue line and the vertical space above the line onside. It makes more sense to me. 

All highsticks should be two minutes unless intentional. Blood rule is weird.

Playing the puck to yourself with a high stick outside of the offensive zone should be legal (provided the puck is the only thing you contact). 

Reduce the bulk of goalie equipment. I'd even allow a larger blocker if the shoulders, pants and legs are slimmed down. Hell give them a knee-hockey mini stick while we're at it. 

Open the door a second later (at actual zero not before) and let players half out of the penalty box play the puck. 

$5 dollar beer price cap and allow it to be served third period. Bring back the pickle with the beef on weck. 

Penalties have different time limits depending on the infraction.

For example. A trip is 2 min but a boarding call is 3 to 4 depending on the severity. A hook is 2 min but a punch in the head roughing call is 3 min. A interference call is 2 min but a 2 handed slash is anywhere from 3 - 5 mins depending on location and severity.

It's still beyond me how a hook is the same time limit as a boarding call or charge. 

And all penalties served until time limit is up. 

No more buy week please!!!!

Yeah, where did this come from?  The Sabres were only a couple weeks from the All-Star break and on a roll, only 2 pts out of a playoff spot.  Five days off and they lost momentum.   They should've gotten at least 3 pts out of these last 2 games.  Oh well, they're not mathematically eliminated but it'll be very tough to make up those pts.

I think combining several ideas here and having minor and major 2 min penalties would be interesting. Minors are identical to the current system - two minutes and wiped on a goal. A 'major' 2-minute would be the full two regardless of goals scored. Still have double minors and 5, 10 etc. 

Delay of game - minor 2

Elbowing - Major 2 

etc.

I think combining several ideas here and having minor and major 2 min penalties would be interesting. Minors are identical to the current system - two minutes and wiped on a goal. A 'major' 2-minute would be the full two regardless of goals scored. Still have double minors and 5, 10 etc. 

Delay of game - minor 2

Elbowing - Major 2 

etc.

I like it a lot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.