OT: Memorial Day 2016

Neo

C'mon, fellas.

PA has reasonable points to make here. It's a little weird to me that he takes a more practical than principled approach to the matter. He may have to relinquish his PAngloss card.

And Eleven isn't being pompous. He wants the dead to be honoured on Memorial Day, and for that alone to occur on that day (in terms of observances or recognitions). Such matters often prompt strong feelings.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Remembrance of fallen hero's....

Mourning the loss of fallen hero's....

Celebrating the lives of fallen hero's.....

I think the direction community goes is in part based on the fabric of that community.

My views are closely aligned with Elevens and K-9, but that don't mean that other views are wrong.

PA, I think you had some very good points, and I was 90% with you until the video. You are absolutely correct about one thing though, hypocracy runs amuck on this board.

A bit much, this.

You might say it's a bit, uh, fishy.

He saluted to the dead, you dumb ######.

I've already said that I have stated what I will state regarding military who are living.

Someone needs to play taps on your participation on this board...again.

I know why he saluted.

Thankfully you don't get to decide who posts here. We all get to, dirty fingernails and all, until SDS calls us home.

C'mon, fellas.

PA has reasonable points to make here. It's a little weird to me that he takes a more practical than principled approach to the matter. He may have to relinquish his PAngloss card.

And Eleven isn't being pompous. He wants the dead to be honoured on Memorial Day, and for that alone to occur on that day (in terms of observances or recognitions). Such matters often prompt strong feelings.

Maybe I was leaning toward taking a principled approach, until I saw how idiotic such an approach looks. Thanks, Eleven, for your service.

(And it's good to know that we should wait until Veterans Day to honor our men and women currently serving.)

Look at you, swatting away that lifeline of civility I tossed your way.

It's gone way beyond that. Eleven's being the bratty little brother again. I would bet Phil Kessel's left (?) nut that he's already PMed SDS, and SDS is probably looking into getting Ike on the blower to confirm or deny the true meaning of Memorial Day. I await my fate...

No one's going to tell me that it's ever inappropriate to honor our vets or those currently serving. Rightly so, it's never the focus of Memorial Day. But of course you have a float of World War II veterans, who are becoming scarcer than hen's teeth. And of course that elderly veteran in my town square should get a hand. It doesn't take away from Memorial Day, it enhances it. Most of these guys were two inches this way or that from being the honorees, anyway.

No one's going to tell me that it's ever inappropriate to honor our vets or those currently serving. Rightly so, it's never the focus of Memorial Day. But of course you have a float of World War II veterans, who are becoming scarcer than hen's teeth. And of course that elderly veteran in my town square should get a hand. It doesn't take away from Memorial Day, it enhances it. Most of these guys were two inches this way or that from being the honorees, anyway.

I think this is all fair. 

The thing that I, and others, have a problem with is that, in allowing Memorial Day to become more all-purpose, it is losing its significance. So, there is a small percentage of people out there who can embrace an all-purpose'd nature of the day without losing sight of what the focus of the day is and should be. But for the large majority of people, that trend will ultimately result in ignorance of what the meaning of the day is, should, and must be. And for that reason, there are those who will clamour for a more exclusive focus.

I think this is all fair. 

The thing that I, and others, have a problem with is that, in allowing Memorial Day to become more all-purpose, it is losing its significance. So, there is a small percentage of people out there who can embrace an all-purpose'd nature of the day without losing sight of what the focus of the day is and should be. But for the large majority of people, that trend will ultimately result in ignorance of what the meaning of the day is, should, and must be. And for that reason, there are those who will clamour for a more exclusive focus.

I don't find any high-mindedness in taking a position that it's ever inappropriate to honor our servicemen and women or that Memorial Day parades are "mortifying." The benediction at the service I attended asked people to pray for those military members in harm's way right now. Was that wrong?

Is this America circa 2016? A total lack of common sense?

I don't find any high-mindedness in taking a position that it's ever inappropriate to honor our servicemen and women or that Memorial Day parades are "mortifying." The benediction at the service I attended asked people to pray for those military members in harm's way right now. Was that wrong?

Is this America circa 2016? A total lack of common sense?

I've said my piece on the subject. I'm not talking about inappropriate honours, mortifying parades, benedictions, or an alleged lack of common sense.

I'm talking about a conscious effort to return Memorial Day to its intended purpose, and to pare away a lot of the extra stuff that's become associated with it. 

This thread got really crazy..

As a veteran who has lost several close friends and family members, I believe that memorial day is important, but to think that only a day in may is required is simplifying it, those close have a memorial day every day.

Humanity is always going to be humanity, by that I mean, any chance to have a party/parade will be exploited to an extent because as a society that is our human nature.

I think veterans day is in place to celebrate all veterans, alive or passed away, including those currency serving.

I am with many that believe memorial day should focus on those that are gone or those few old timers that will be gone soon and are the last of a generation we will never see again.

Just read this entire thread. Jeesh.

"Humanity is always going to be humanity, by that I mean, any chance to have a party/parade will be exploited to an extent because as a society that is our human nature."

Is this the time to ask if a moose knuckle is like a camel toe?

Thanks for your service everybody, especially those we memorialize.

Just read this entire thread. Jeesh.

"Humanity is always going to be humanity, by that I mean, any chance to have a party/parade will be exploited to an extent because as a society that is our human nature."

Is this the time to ask if a moose knuckle is like a camel toe?

Thanks for your service everybody, especially those we memorialize.

This thread is jacked up no doubt, but every single "holiday" is basically just seen as a long weekend and a chance to drink (I'm generalizing of course.) I call a spade a spade. I honor those that died before me and those that died along side of me, and I think it's a shame, but to pretend that doesn't happen is to be naive.

I'm not trying to debate anyone, and I agree that veterans day and Memorial day overlap in some cases, but they Really should be separate. Memorial day is a national holiday, and in many cases the "start of summer festivities" veterans day is a day where everyone works,including veterans.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.