OT: Moving the family out of state - destination: Nashville, TN area

Hi folks.  I know there are probably too many OT threads at the moment, but I did get nfreeman's blessing to start this one, as I didn't want to add to the forum clutter willy-nilly. 

Some might recall my mention of this last year after several trips to Nashville, but we have fallen in love with that area and have over the past half year come to the conclusion that is where we'd like to live out our years in this dimension.  We have multiple reasons, most of which I'd be happy to share over the course of the thread, but to begin I'd like to try and keep it focused on a few important subjects:

1. Have you ever moved your entire family (in this case two adults, two kids, and two dogs, along with the with usual material assets) to a new state?  If so, I would appreciate insights, anecdotes, and any general wisdom or advice one can give.   

We have already researched this subject, and my wife and I have moved before having kids several times, twice out of state.  If we didn't have kids, of course, things would be easier, and, thankfully, after much discussion, our kids are behind the idea (they're 11 and 14 and quite smart).  But, still, we don't have jobs waiting for us (yet, knock on wood), and other than a few colleagues-turned-long-distance-pals of my wife's, know no one there.  Hopefully these details give you, dear participant in this thread, a starting point for your contribution.

2. The Nashville area; the economy, the schools, housing, the crime rate, and any other vitals other than the usual touristy stuff that we've already been through and isn't really relevant to the topic. 

Again, we have done our research.  We know we want to settle in the Franklin area, probably more in the sticks of that area (I'd like a half-acre with at least one out-building to eventually convert into a studio, and my wife wants chickens).  We have a relative idea of housing costs between Franklin and heading north to Nashville proper. We know which schools have an I.B. program, and what the rankings are.  I see the jobs available that I "qualify" for based on job searches.  But, research and data don't quite tell the entire story, the story that develops from actually being there. 

So, jump in and help total strangers make an epic mid-life move in the search of existential contentment.  You'll get karma points if nothing else!

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Do it. I've done this from Ontario to Kentucky to Georgia to WNY. And now want to move to FL but don't see it happening. TN is a fabulous State with terrific tax benefits compared to anywhere but particularly here. You will make friends through work. Unless you are so book smart and are going into a steel plant environment.

My questions for you:

Where are you from?

Where are you now?

What do you really know about Nashville and the burbs?

p.s awesome ot thread!

My questions for you:

1. Where are you from?

2. Where are you now?

3. What do you really know about Nashville and the burbs?

1. WNY. Although, I can say unequivocally that we are not Northerners or Yankees. I don't mean that in a hick, torn shirt, jacked-up truck way. You can be a hick anywhere. I lived in the South before I met my wife and there is a distinct difference between the Southern and Northern psychology, and had I not met my wife when I came back here, I would already be somewhere in the South.

2. WNY.

3. Other than data available via online research, anecdotes and impressions from general media, we have visited several times and at least once with the objective of sampling the area as a potential permanent resident. Also, as I mentioned, we do know some families who live there (Franklin and Hendersonville), who have provided input already.

p.s awesome ot thread!

Thanks!

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

That's a great site JJ. City Data has all kinds of info on it. Crime results etc and the forums are a great resource and probably the best place to look for info about housing and jobs and such. I'm sure a city the size of Nashville will have a lot of activity. I've used it extensively in looking for info in Florida where I want to move. A move that I now feel is never going to happen.

Sizzle you have a leg up if you've lived in the south before. Has the wife?  There most certainly is an adjustment as far as weather. Tornado watches will become a regular event. Can your wife adapt to that? Some cant and it becomes an issue.

You've been doing research so you know that wages are lower down there but so are taxes. Sounds like you 're going about things the right way so you won't be surprised by these types of things.

I work in Hendersonville and live down the road in Clarksville. If you have friends in the area I would imagine there isn't a whole lot you can get from us that you can't get from them...

I'm familiar with the builders and framing crews in the middle Tennessee area. As with anything, some are better than others. A common practice is to inflate the lumber estimate, have the lumber company pick up the excess lumber for a credit but not pass that credit onto the customer. The difference often reaches five figures. Most framing crews are made up of illegal immigrants, if having an American crew is important to you there are very few of them. If you plan on having a home built I can advise you.

Lacrosse is not big here, if one of your kids play let me know when you get settled and I can put you in touch with a coach in your area. Same with rugby.

The best aquarium I've ever been to is in Newport, KY, just south of Cincinatti, 4-4 1/2 hours away depending on where you settle. Definitely a must for the kids.

Tornadoes are not an issue where we are. I've lived here since 04 and I think I've heard the siren go off three times with nothing actually touching down. Of course I was deployed to other parts of the world about half the time so that may not be completely accurate. I'll check with the wife but I would think if a tornado hit the area while I was gone she would have told me.

Preds season tix are insanely cheap. If you decide you're interested I get 25% off. If you want to split a season or a half season I can help pair you with someone.

Many lakes around here. You can swim seven months out of the year and boat 9-10 months. If you don't have a boat, get one.

Day one - get season passes to Nashville Shores.

Many great places for brunch, my favorite is Stoney River.

Nashville has a great night life and great food.

My wife and I made this exact move 2 years ago, we're currently in the Mount Juliet area.

Bills backer bar is McNamara's, located in Donelson. http://www.mcnamarasirishpub.com/

Regarding tornados, we've had 3 storms that have scared us enough to enact our storm plan but no tornadoes and nothing that caused any severe damage. Most locals I've talked to about it state they've never actually seen a tornado, but it can happen.

There are a million great restaurants here, in fact Franklin has one of my favorites, Red Pony. I've visited Franklin a couple of times, the downtown area feels like a little larger East Aurora.

Of course it's fun to go to Broadway a couple times a year.

My biggest complaint is probably traffic. A large number of people moving to the area and the thruway system has not kept up. Make sure you factor this in when purchasing a home/finding a job. My house is 35 minutes from work with no traffic, but in rush hour will take me around 70 minutes.

The weather is pretty awesome most of the year, the heat gets old quick June through August. But it's better than snow.

I've moved around quite a bit due to my Dad serving 26+ years in the Marine Corps when I was growing up and I've moved twice within the state of NC as an adult (once for school and once for work).

The biggest piece of advice I would give is to line up a job before you uproot your family. Depending on how much savings you have you don't want to incur all those expenses with no income coming in and have all the added stress of trying to find employment on top of the stress of moving. You may find yourself in a situation where you or your wife end up settling for a job that you hate because it's your best option or you manage to find a job you like but it's a long commute from where you decide to live. Commute time can vary a lot from city to city and the last thing you want to do is be forced to spend 10 hours extra per week commuting off the clock while not being there for your family as they try to adjust to their new environment. Most companies will allow interviews by phone and video conferencing and if you manage to line up a new job it could help you narrow down your home search depending on schools in that area.

Edited by Drunkard

We don't have kids, but had a cat and a whole lot of junk, when we could not take it anymore and sold our house in the *Great Satan*, as many in NS call it, Toronto ... no offence to any Toronto area residers here and I know there are some.

Toronto was just so not us and something had to give.

We sold our house with no place, or jobs, in Halifax and we went.  Did not know anyone here, but it was just the right thing to do.  Sold and packed up our house in Toronto and 3 weeks later we were in Halifax, with a wild weekend in between that where we found and bought the house we live in now in Bedford, NS ... right at the tip of the Bedford Basin.  Google Earth is your friend.

I landed a good job on day 2 in Halifax ... had good communication with the company leading up to our arrival here.  Good enough pay so that my wife did not have to work ... her failing health was a key motivator in the move.  Since then (almost 18 years) I have started my own accounting practice and really enjoy working for myself.

My wife has been back to Toronto once to spend some time with a dying friend, but I have never been back and do not intend to even visit if I can avoid it.

Anyway, sizzle, no real advice except to say that when it feels right everything will work out.

Best of luck with the move.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

I've made major moves with the family several times with kids around this age (I have three daughters). Many people I work with have similar experiences due to the nature of our business. So I can pass along my own experience and observations for you to take or leave as you wish. 

It's good that everyone is on-board with the move. But even so, it's hard. My rule of thumb is the first six months are challenging. Of course there is excitement and good stuff too but various emotional and logistical challenges usually arise and they are hard to anticipate and at times impossible to do anything about other than weather the storm. After six months or so the new reality and way of life becomes somewhat entrenched and the pains of moving recede and life is better. 

Some challenges I have seen:

-"Didn't know that [person] (could be you) would miss [person, activity, place, etc] so very much."  This is a big one. My observation is that there are at least a few of these for each member of the family. For example, I remember one move from a rural environment to a big city where I was rudely surprised by how much I missed sitting out on my deck under the trees and sky, eating dinner or relaxing with the family or by myself. That wasn't happening in a big city and it takes time to find the new mode of getting the same family or individual enjoyment and relaxation. There are myriad other things like missing friends and family, restaurants, favorite spots, etc.  It's hard to predict beforehand which ones will feel "lost" and hit a family member emotionally. But unless you just hate where you are now, it's gonna happen.    

-"New job is not working out/is very stressful"

-"Not making friends"

-Some thing that locals in the new place take for granted you will find to be a complete pain the butt or annoying. Like traffic or regulations or some social norms. 

-Some things you don't even realize you appreciate or like about WNY will be absent

Anyway, I don't think this sort of challenge is really avoidable, but I also think it's normal and just something to go through as you make a transition in life as a family. 

My suggestions are to have times set-up before but especially after you move where the family talks specifically about the move and what's going well and what's bothering them. Not every problem can be fixed right away but facing the challenges as a team is much better than suffering alone and (perhaps) assuming that everyone else in the family is just doing great and handling the move better than you are. 

The biggest specific thing I can say to help these challenges is just have faith that the process of change requires going through those inconveniences and that as time passes it will get better and better. "A short term inconvenience for a long term improvement". 

Best of luck!

I've heard wonderful things about Nashville.  Tons of people from everywhere are relocating there.  Fantastic music scene there, and I don't just mean country music.  Many famous musicians/bands have relocated there.

I'm sure Potato can vouch that Preds fans are very good, loyal and knowledgeable fans, so you will still be living in a place where hockey really matters.

I've lived here 7 years in the Germantown/Salemtown area just north of downtown Nashville. Nashville is experiencing explosive growth the likes of which this area has never seen. Traffic has gotten noticeably worse in the past two years. Real estate prices are going through the roof, so if you're going to buy do it ASAP. If this growth continues, expect the commute from Franklin to Nashville to be well over 30 minutes each way at peak times. So if you plan to work in Nashville, that is definitely a consideration. If you have a particular neighborhood you're looking in, I can give you a heads-up on expected traffic patterns.

Franklin is a nice town - very family oriented since the Williamson County schools are fantastic whereas the Davidson County school are not very good (can be dangerous). Wealthier folks in Nashville tend to send their kids to private schools... or they move to Williamson County. I believe the Williamson Special School district is very much desired, but I don't have kids so I could be way off on this one.

Hank - I'll be at a place called The Warehouse in Clarksville next week for a concert. Do you know it?

Potato, most of the jobs that I'm looking at are either in Franklin, Brentwood, and a few are downtown.  We've noticed that real estate prices do not seem stable, but are definitely on the rise.  I was in Austin when it started to really take off, so I'm familiar with those growing pains for what I'd call "an intimate larger city".

I'm trying to get a handle on the job market, lots of jobs, it seems, but, are they for real? Any news or talk of the job market being able to handle all of the people? 

I think Google map's representation of the traffic patterns is likely accurate as it matches our experiences when we were out there (and does a good job of representing WNY's traffic patterns).  Traffic is something we expect to deal with, although I understand it can take a little getting used to.  FWIW, the traffic has gotten worse out here, too.

I'm curious about crime.  That's one aspect I haven't been able to get a handle on.  I mean, we have the data, but not the on-the-ground perspective (other than "it's not a big deal").

Also, what about critters?  What kind of bugs and nuisance pests are around there?

Thanks to those who talked about tornadoes, as that subject is one that does slightly concern me.  When I was in Texas, I saw tornadoes when I lived in the Hill Country, but never while in Austin.  I think the topography of those two areas are similar and I would expect a similar record (relatively).  Plus, a couple of the weather sites have excellent historical data to plunge into. 

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Lanny, on 09 May 2016 - 09:18 AM, said:

My wife and I made this exact move 2 years ago, we're currently in the Mount Juliet area.

My wife asks "where'd they move from?"

Potato, most of the jobs that I'm looking at are either in Franklin, Brentwood, and a few are downtown.  We've noticed that real estate prices do not seem stable, but are definitely on the rise.  I was in Austin when it started to really take off, so I'm familiar with those growing pains for what I'd call "an intimate larger city".

I'm trying to get a handle on the job market, lots of jobs, it seems, but, are they for real? Any news or talk of the job market being able to handle all of the people? 

I think Google map's representation of the traffic patterns is likely accurate as it matches our experiences when we were out there (and does a good job of representing WNY's traffic patterns).  Traffic is something we expect to deal with, although I understand it can take a little getting used to.  FWIW, the traffic has gotten worse out here, too.

I'm curious about crime.  That's one aspect I haven't been able to get a handle on.  I mean, we have the data, but not the on-the-ground perspective (other than "it's not a big deal").

Also, what about critters?  What kind of bugs and nuisance pests are around there?

Thanks to those who talked about tornadoes, as that subject is one that does slightly concern me.  When I was in Texas, I saw tornadoes when I lived in the Hill Country, but never while in Austin.  I think the topography of those two areas are similar and I would expect a similar record (relatively).  Plus, a couple of the weather sites have excellent historical data to plunge into. 

The job market here is booming, especially in health care. Plenty to go around for folks with the right educational background. Very low unemployment rate. No state income tax, which is awesome.

As a city-dweller, I can tell you on a street-by-street basis where the crime is. Quite a bit of gang activity in certain neighborhoods (mine until a couple of years ago), but that is localized to very specific areas. I've never had a problem, even living in what was once considered a "rough" area. Downtown Nashville is very safe. I can walk home from there without a concern. Crime is mostly of the petty theft variety (i.e. steal something to fence for cash). Out where you are looking, crime is almost non-existent. That's where most of the rich folks live - up and down I-65.

We have horrible allergies here, get a ton of rain, and have a lot of bugs and spiders. We'll get some hellish storms (tornado sirens a couple of times per year), but the rain is what keeps this place green. Winters are nothing by WNY standards.

I'm curious about crime. That's one aspect I haven't been able to get a handle on. I mean, we have the data, but not the on-the-ground perspective (other than "it's not a big deal").

Also, what about critters? What kind of bugs and nuisance pests are around there?

Potato summed up the crime situation pretty well. For the most part it happens where you would expect it to. Do be where you shouldn't at times you shouldn't be there and you shouldn't have any issues.

One thing I really like about living here is most of the neighborhoods are in subdivisions with cute names like "the hunt club" or "Quakers run" and so on. There's only one or two ways in so there's no through traffic. If you are in there its because you live there or are visiting someone who lives there. Otherwise you don't belong there and you'll stick out. Unless you're a social recluse you'll get to know your neighbors and hopefully make some good friends. Another thing I like is all the homes in the subdivision are similarly priced, so everyone should be on the same financial/social scale. Are you looking to rent or buy? If you can give us an idea of what you expect your household income to be some of us could probably recommend neighborhoods for you to look.

We don't have fleas down here, we have tics. Not sure if that's better or worse, but that's what we have.

Edited by Hank

Lanny, on 10 May 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:Lanny, on 10 May 2016 - 09:11 AM, said:

Sorry, I shouldn't assume I know where you're moving from.

We moved from Western NY to Nashville.

I'll let her know - I don't know what it means to her.  Thanks!

Thanks, all.

On allergies - my thinking is that since WNY is one of top worst locations for allergy sufferers (like me), it's probably a wash with Tennessee.

On the job market - cool, my wife was a big shot in the healthcare industry and could be again if she wanted to.

On crime - I walked the city, mainly downtown and then West End Ave. essentially from one end of Vanderbilt to the other and then some, except for one instance where I was definitely followed by a bum.  But, I could be followed by a bum in Vatican City.  The only area that I thought was sketchy was east on the 70 headed out of town.

On the critters and environment - bugs and spiders are fine.  They will rule the Earth one day, after all.  Honestly, very few things give me pause about the whole idea, but one would be tornadoes.  I have researched that to the nines.  If I could find a place with a '50s era fall out shelter I'd be all set.

On neighborhoods - where we settle will be highly dependent on the schools.  Highly.  We are unlikely to buy in the city while our kids are still of school age.  We're pretty convinced we want to be outside of town, south toward Franklin if not in Franklin.  If my wife works full time, I'm certain we'd have no problem being able to buy in any upper-middle class neighborhood we choose.  We do pretty good with her working part time right now, and she'd like to keep the dynamic, so if that's the case, by the numbers we'd still be "upper middle class" but from a house-buying perspective, thanks to the prices, we might actually be middle-middle.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Hi, Sizzle-

You have an advantage in that you have your family to move with you - I moved from Buffalo to Tucson some years back by myself.  It was very difficult for me. I did make friends through work, but after working with them during the day, I often didn't want to hang with them during off hours.

It appears you are definitely doing your homework in researching the area.  I'm sure you will make the right call, but just a cautionary note: visiting an area, even multiple times, is not really like living there.  When I moved to Tucson (for a job), I researched the area quite a bit and also spent some time there.  A few weeks after I moved there, I started to run across things I hadn't foreseen.  One thing (which these days is easily looked into on the internet) was automobile registration.  In NY, your registration fee is based on vehicle weight; in Arizona, it is based on value of the vehicle.  My one-year registration cost nearly $300.  That was quite an eye opener. 

Anyway, good luck to you - let us know how it works out....

Sizzle, not sure if you need these or if they help. www.spotcrime.com and www.crimereports.com

When I lived in GA we had a cellar that was dug into a hill for a safe room if a tornado was coming. We used it once. I know in FL there are hurricane safe rooms that can be built in garage floors and even in house for a  chunk o money. Last time I rolled through TX and OK I saw billboards advertising tornado shelters so there are people building stuff like that. 

Seems like you've done the homework necessary and will enjoy the move. Good luck.

Tornadoes- I have a lot of family in Murfreesboro/Woodbury which is southeast of Nashville in a bit more mountainous area. Well, mountainous by my NW Ohio standards, anyways. 

In my lifetime, they've had a LOT of warnings, but only 3 to 4 touchdowns that did damage, and never more than a shed knocked down, more likely from straight line winds than a twister itself. 

But, the weather patterns do hike up that north easterly pattern and skim by Nashville. Floods and the occasional tornado aren't a big enough reason to not give it a shot. I'd say watch weather.gov for Nashville the next couple weeks- this is spring, it's the most active season- you'll get a good feel for what you're dealing with. 

Just watch the skies if it's predicted, have a bug out bag/tornado kit, a basement or storm shelter handy. You'll feel it if it's going to happen. Areas that have many of them are pretty blasé about them unless it's a really bad situation, and then they're usually well prepared. Oh, and don't live in a trailer park. Twisters LOVE those things :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.