Sabres at Islanders - 4/9/16 7:30 pm

inkman

OT in a slow time during the intermission.  I haven't played hockey since the wood stick era.  Those composite sticks look way too flexible to be accurate with, even passing the puck.  Maybe it was personal preference, but I liked a stiff shaft (keep the jokes to yourselves :P ).  Do the pros now sacrifice speed of their shot for accuracy or am I just a dinosaur who should just tell more kids to "get off my lawn."

OT in a slow time during the intermission.  I haven't played hockey since the wood stick era.  Those composite sticks look way too flexible to be accurate with, even passing the puck.  Maybe it was personal preference, but I liked a stiff shaft (keep the jokes to yourselves :P ).  Do the pros now sacrifice speed of their shot for accuracy or am I just a dinosaur who should just tell more kids to "get off my lawn."

Lawn.  ;-]

It's lighter so the kids these days can play with one hand on the composite and the other hand can hold their iPhone.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Pysyk is terrible in the offensive zone. He seems like he can't take a slap shot. I know what it's like, I never take them either.

I am not 100% sure I have ever seen the guy take a slap shot.

Can anyone remember one specifically?

I'm going to start watching out for this.

Uh, next year I guess.

LOL.  

Uh, next year I guess.

LOL.  

But he doesn't shoot much, period. He's a defensive d-man in his mind, I think. Otherwise, he shouldn't have had trouble making it onto our second powerplay unit. Maybe it's just the quicker release?

I'm like you; never played with a composite stick.  I notice how inaccurate many shooters are these days.

On a slightly different tangent, I have thought for several years now that teams should use wood sticks on the PK b/c they just don't break like the comp. sticks do, and a broken stick on a PK can be real disadvantage.

Of course, that assumes you can still buy wooden hockey sticks.  

I am a wood stick advocate.  Composites are great but I started playing hockey in 1970 so I am a hockey dinosaur.  :)

Composite sticks are equivalent to corking your bat. There is so much power in the flex of the stick. Even I feel like a pro when I connect on a slap shot. I see no compromise to accuracy of passing and shooting. That's all hand eye coordination.

Good one Darth.  That one actually made me LOL.

Myself, I'm not a hockey player. But -- I imagine it's much like lacrosse playing with an aluminum or titanium shaft vs. wood. Or even baseball with the ping bats. You just feel quicker with it, whether you are or not (which probably as more to do with your skill).

What'd be curious to see is the "hardest shot" mph/kph scores at the All-Star games each year during the transition from wood to composite.

Edited by DarthEbriate

Uh, next year I guess.

LOL.  

Pysyk's signaure shot is to get it into the pants of the goalie and have him back it in too the net.  Not easy to do with a slap shot.

Really hoping he chooses us. He'd be a really good dart to throw at the "cheap complementary piece" dartboard.

Really hoping he chooses us. He'd be a really good dart to throw at the "cheap complementary piece" dartboard.

He looks less complementary and more featured.  He has been having  a great game and has ridiculous hands

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.