The Veteran Leadership

Doohickie

• 2 weeks later...

Byslma and Reinhart talk about how much the guys like playing together. I think we actually have a team 

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1372&id=888617&cmpid=sm-tw-video

I think you're right, but I'll know it for sure when they have to stand up for each other under adverse conditions.

I'm really looking forward to this game:  Larkin vs. Eichel will be the marquis match up, but look for Samson to continue his hot streak.  I'd love to see him get his hattie and earn player (or at least rookie) of the week honors.

I think you're right, but I'll know it for sure when they have to stand up for each other under adverse conditions.

I'm really looking forward to this game:  Larkin vs. Eichel will be the marquis match up, but look for Samson to continue his hot streak.  I'd love to see him get his hattie and earn player (or at least rookie) of the week honors.

I would like to see some ass-kicking. GoDD may be right, it's gone from the NHL (the nastiness/passion that is)

I've been thinking about starting a "Who gets the first hattie" thread for awhile now.

• 1 month later...

So what do we think of the vets these days?

I know we're disappointed with lack of scoring on their part (looking at you, Matty Mo) but aside from that I think they're still doing a good job of mentoring. I think they have adopted DD's system and have become the backbone of the system in which the younger players are starting to excel. And by their example they are showing the kids how to play within the system.

There will come a point where we will need their cap space, but for now I think GMTM has assembled a nice crew of vets to show the kids how to play the NHL game.

So what do we think of the vets these days?

I know we're disappointed with lack of scoring on their part (looking at you, Matty Mo) but aside from that I think they're still doing a good job of mentoring. I think they have adopted DD's system and have become the backbone of the system in which the younger players are starting to excel. And by their example they are showing the kids how to play within the system.

There will come a point where we will need their cap space, but for now I think GMTM has assembled a nice crew of vets to show the kids how to play the NHL game.

I can't speak for what they provide this team off the ice, but on the ice they're a liability.     

To me this is a huge failure on GMTMs shoulders.    There are plenty of vets in the league who still contribute to the on ice success (Jagr, Campbell, Doan, Sedins, W. Mitchell, etc..).    

Edited by pi2000

I can't speak for what they provide this team off the ice, but on the ice they're a liability.     

To me this is a huge failure on GMTMs shoulders.    There are plenty of vets in the league who still contribute to the on ice success (Jagr, Campbell, Doan, Sedins, W. Mitchell, etc..).

Which of those guys were available post "that which shall not be mentioned?"

Is it really a huge failure? Doan and the Sedins have been with their teams for ever. Campbell, Mitchell, and Jagr are all on the same team, is that really Murray's failings or the fact that the 1 gm out of a handful of rebuilding teams successfully identified key vets to help his guys? Also, Campbell has been there for years, and without Jagr, it's a moot point anyway. If that team continue to succeed, they should put Jagr in the rafters for his developmental impact alone.

And if he's happy where he's at, he's not really available is he?

Short of giving him a Moulson-esqe deal, he wasn't coming to Buffalo (& maybe not even then).

I'm saying that when Florida signed him at the beginning of last season, I wanted the Sabres to do it instead.  The opportunity is gone now.

I'm saying that when Florida signed him at the beginning of last season, I wanted the Sabres to do it instead.  The opportunity is gone now.

I can't imagine Jagr would have wanted to come here at the beginning of last season.  We were full on tank by then.

He signed w/ NJ in '14 in April & w/ Florida in '15 in April. He signed both deals while the team he signed w/ had exclusive negotiating rights. So, how exactly did the Sabres miss out?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.