From the Vault

Doohickie

I was just randomly going back in the old threads, reminiscing over what the Sabres were like several years ago.  There was optimism over what we came to refer to as the Rotten Core.  I tripped across this thread which talks about potential draft pics.  Moulson26 had a particularly interesting response looking at some of the upcoming talent:

As for other picks, many players interest me. Some of the 2nd or even 3rd round picks that i think will be good and i've kept an eye out are-

-Ryan O'Reilly - Tough center. Leader. Good skater and a great penalty killer. Pretty much a total Lindy Ruff player. He lacks a scoring touch and prolly will be available mid 2nd round. But he has play making ability, could be a future C and can play against opponent top lines.
-Tyson Barrie - Puck moving d-men, he's tiny, but many scouts i've read talk about him as next Dan Boyle.
-Tommi Kivisto - went from finland to whl to adjust and adjusted really quickly, which was a surprise. He is big, fights, and moves real well with the puck, like most finns do.
-Tomas Tatar - Love this kid. One of my favorite prospects in this draft but won't go until may 3rd round because of size. He was a force in the WCJ and was a true warrior. Even vs. the big teams, vs. the big d-men, he was awesome.
-Marcus Foligno - Think Nick is tough? This kid lacks some of the skills, but he's tougher. This kid doesn't lose battles ever. He's projected late 2nd, early 3rd round, mainly because he lacks the skills, but has great hands, something you can't teach. If he gets in front of the net and works on position, he will be scoring goals.

Two of those guys ended up Sabres, and a third is turning into a featured scorer on the Red Wings (Tatar).  You've got a pretty good eye for talent, Moulson26.

Anyway, if anyone else finds an interesting read in the Vault, maybe we can get a thread going to share of the wisdom (or maybe wisdumb) of the past.

Sorry LGR :P

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21985-regiers-plan-projecting-3-years/

Just found this. Interesting D pairings, but that forward core...yikes 

edit: it seems LGR is going more for what he thinks Darcy is doing and is not necessarily agreeing that that would be a good team?

Edited by Randall Flagg

Sorry LGR :P

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/21985-regiers-plan-projecting-3-years/

Just found this. Interesting D pairings, but that forward core...yikes 

edit: it seems LGR is going more for what he thinks Darcy is doing and is not necessarily agreeing that that would be a good team?

I don't see that as reflecting badly on LGR.  Note that he labeled it "Darcy's Plan."  The scary part of what he wrote is that I think he was absolutely right:  That was exactly what Darcy pictured in his mind.  Thank all that is good that he's no longer with the Sabres.

You know what's depressing about that? Even back then Sizzle posted "What happens if they start calling penalties again"

I suppose I'm good for something around here. I'm heading back to the closet with the mop and floor basin, 'scuse me...

That's the point of this thread.... to remember the bad times.  I want us to remember when the Sabres have setbacks this season how bad things were the last few years.

Sorry.....

I thought it was skip over the time known as the great tank, and to rekindle the feeling of times before we wondered around soul-less in order to help with healing process.

"reminiscing over what the Sabres were like several years ago. " 

This I like better.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/4738-this-day-in-sabres-history/?hl=goat

Sorry.....

I thought it was skip over the time known as the great tank, and to rekindle the feeling of times before we wondered around soul-less in order to help with healing process.

"reminiscing over what the Sabres were like several years ago. " 

This I like better.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/4738-this-day-in-sabres-history/?hl=goat

I miss those.  A rolling thread with periodic updates would be great.

Well, maybe it's to remember the past in general, both good and bad.  Dig up a thread you want to revisit and post it.  Maybe we can dig up the GDT when Pommer eliminated the Sens in OT.  That'd be fun.

Ask and you shall receive.

Looks like they didn't have GDT back then so this is the closest I could find.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/3744-pominvilleeee/

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.