Another article on who is the 'best player in hockey'

mjd1001

Article by Adam Gretz...saying it is obvious Crosby is the best in the game still, but who is next?

Full article here:  http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25257993/sidney-crosby-is-still-the-nhls-best-player-but-who-is-next-in-line

Just a note for anyone who doesn't follow Gretz...I think he is a pretty good writer with some good ideas...but he seems to overate players who are Canadian and anyone that plays for Pittsburgh (if you look back through his old articles on the internet, I found some from as far back as 2011 and 2012 that have Crosby and Malkin and #1 and #2 or #3...while Ovechkin is rarely higher than 4th or 5th...and just about every March or April he has an article about how the Penguins are 'rounding into shape' for the playoffs, or are underated defensivley...or are clearly the team to beat.)

As for his top 5 choices...I think I'd have Stamkos #1, not #3, and I wouldn't have Price on that list.

I think it's a pretty good list outside of ranking McDavid there already, before he has played an NHL shift. Crosby is the best player in the NHL right now, him being #1 makes sense, even if the writer has shown a trend towards Pittsburgh bias in the past.

Edited by Thorny

Article by Adam Gretz...saying it is obvious Crosby is the best in the game still, but who is next?

Full article here:  http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25257993/sidney-crosby-is-still-the-nhls-best-player-but-who-is-next-in-line

Just a note for anyone who doesn't follow Gretz...I think he is a pretty good writer with some good ideas...but he seems to overate players who are Canadian and anyone that plays for Pittsburgh (if you look back through his old articles on the internet, I found some from as far back as 2011 and 2012 that have Crosby and Malkin and #1 and #2 or #3...while Ovechkin is rarely higher than 4th or 5th...and just about every March or April he has an article about how the Penguins are 'rounding into shape' for the playoffs, or are underated defensivley...or are clearly the team to beat.)

As for his top 5 choices...I think I'd have Stamkos #1, not #3, and I wouldn't have Price on that list.

Seems like there was a stretch where Ovechkin was *not* among the best in the league, but I can't put a finger on when that was...

Isn't it time to give Carey Price some respect? 44 wins in 66 games, a 1.96 gaa and .933 sv%, those are Hasek-esq numbers. Carey Price is a game changer and deserves to be mentioned as one of the best players in the NHL right now. 

Edited by DeLuca1967

Isn't it time to give Carey Price some respect? 44 wins in 66 games, a 1.96 gaa and .933 sv%, those are Hasek-esq numbers. Carey Price is a game changer and deserves to be mentioned as one of the best players in the NHL right now.

Insight. I agree. Giving him the same respect I gave 39, I'll say best goalie in the game. Three seasons at this level, in the conversation for best player in the game. Seven seasons, among the best goalies OR players of all time. Edited by Neo

• 4 weeks later...

Hockey News just released its annual top 50 NHL players list.

For the first time in a few years, two Sabres on the list:

Ryan O'Reilly at 43, Jack Eichel at 50 (McDavid was 36)

The top 10:

1) Carey Price

2) Jonathan Toews

3) Alex Ovechkin

4) Sidney Crosby

5) Duncan Keith

6) John Tavares

7) Erik Karlsson

8) Drew Doughty

9) Steven Stamkos

10) Victor Hedman

False, we finish last even if we win that game. The clincher was Cam Atkinson.

And I know I'm in a teeny tiny minority on this one, but I just don't agree with crediting individual players for team accomplishments.

I agree. If Ovechkin had half the organization Toews did we'd like him a lot more (and I already like him a lot). Imagine Sidney in that organization. Toews is good but I'd take probably five centers before him.

And there is no way that 26 players are better than Malkin.

Didn't they have Malkin around ~26th? I thought it was a bad list. Toews isn't that good.

False, we finish last even if we win that game. The clincher was Cam Atkinson.

And I know I'm in a teeny tiny minority on this one, but I just don't agree with crediting individual players for team accomplishments.

Gotta agree with these points. Toews is a great player, and he certainly deserves a good amount of credit for helping to win 3 cups, but it's a team game. He's even had notable slumps within a couple of the playoff runs.

I know points are certainly not everything, but to be considered the best forward in the game, scoring is obviously very important. Crosby is averaging more than 50% more points per game than Toews is. 1.36 to .90 - Toews isn't as good as Crosby, or Ovechkin, and arguably even a few others.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.