Get to know - Luke Richardson

Hoss

I'm all for Luke Richardson now. He's the obvious name with the connection with Tim Murray, but it's not like he doesn't warrant legitimate consideration.

The B-Sens missed the playoffs the year before he arrived and finished with a 29-40-7 record. In his first season he led them to a 44-24-8 record which was good enough for 4th in their conference. That's a 31 point improvement.

He finished with the exact same record the following season. This year the record was down to 34-34-8, but the dip could probably be attributed to Ottawa pulling up Hoffman, Stone and others in large chunks of the season.

He's had a hand in the development of Ben Bishop, Mark Stone, Mike Hoffman, Jakob Silfverberg, Shane Prince, JG Pageau, Cody Ceci and Mika Zibanejad. The Hamburglar's numbers weren't nearly as impressive as his NHL numbers are, but he's about the only goalie that didn't have great success under Richardson when given time to do so. Possible Sabres target Robin Lehner also did well in Binghamton.

That's a lot of talent that has gone through Binghamton while Richardson was the coach. Obviously if the talent is there it's hard for them not to succeed, but many of the players above had immediate success once they got to Ottawa. That tells me that he's coaching them up well for future success. To me, that tells me he can coach talented players in the NHL. Most of the forwards are skill guys, but Richardson was rugged player so I'm sure he can coach both styles when asked to do so. Also, looking at that list, I think Ennis and Reinhart would thrive under Richardson. Goaltending doesn't seem like an issue for his teams.

Looking at the stats of players he has coached in Binghamton:

Mark Stone - Year 1: 15-23-38 in 54 games Year 2: 15-26-41 in 37 games then 26-38-64 in his first full NHL season

Mike Hoffman - Year 1: 13-15-28 in 41 games (this was his 3rd AHL season) Year 2: 30-37-67 in 51 games then 27-21-48 in his first full NHL season

Jakob Silfverberg - Year 1: 13-16-29 in 34 games before being called up to Ottawa for the remainder of the season where he put up 10-9-19 in 48 games

Shane Prince - Year 1: 18-17-35 in 65 games Year 2: 21-27-48 in 69 games Year 3: 28-37-65 in 72 games plus 2 NHL games

Matt Puempel - Year 1: 1-0-1 in 9 games Year 2: 30-18-48 in 74 games Year 3: 12-20-32 in 51 games plus 13 NHL games

JG Pageau - Year 1: 7-22-29 in 69 games with 9 NHL games Year 2: 20-24-44 in 46 games with 28 NHL games Year 3: 11-10-21 in 27 games with 10-9-19 in 50 NHL games
Ben Bishop - .909 NHL save percentage in 10 games prior to working with Richardson in 2012; .922 NHL save percentage in 13 games after spending time with Richardson the following year

He's also battled some personal adversity that hits home for me... http://www.difd.com/

I will provide more details on his candidacy when I'm off work.

Edited by Hoss

Saw this post earlier today, Hoss.  Great work.  You, Blue, and Ghost have taught me more about these middle aged schlubs than I ever would have known else wise.

I've always liked the idea of Richardson as an up-and-coming coach.  My sister's boyfriend has had seasons in Binghamton and he raves about him.  Good track record with young talent, seems like a good guy.

I can't believe you started a new thread for this!@!!!  :flirt:

Luke's a good guy. No clue if he's a good coach but he always was a great guy as a player. I think if he is the guy it's a HUGE ah play by Murray. Not my first choice by any means but if that's who my GM put's forth, I'm good.

Cause my GM I have full faith in. And it is that role that will make a team a team more so than a coach in todays game. A bad coach will be hard pressed to screw this up going forward. A good coach can become great though.

I think it is real important that the new guy has a presence, a respect factor from the kids.

Luke may not have the coaching record, but I think a physical specimen with 20 years of hardnosed NHL experience has to carry some weight.

Plus he has a track record of developing young talent.

Not sure if he is ready, or if he is strong on tactics, but he makes a good impression.

Nice story from February from some place I never heard of cause it's some Sens site. If Murray does hire Luke there are some fantastic reasons. He's got a handle on the kids it seems. Mentions a story from Harrington sucks also.

http://the6thsens.com/2015-articles/report-luke-richardson-will-be-pursued-by-sabres-to-be-next-head-coach.html

Like I said in the other thread, good work at getting it going.

I did not know the subject matter of the video. Heavy stuff.

Given the content my observation is trivial, but......why would you do an interview in bare feet? Any interview let alone THIS one?

I thought that was odd too.

Given the content my observation is trivial, but......why would you do an interview in bare feet? Any interview let alone THIS one?

Can see the future... Knew Rex was coming. Wanted his endorsement when the Sabres job was up.

Seriously...

I'm one of the most business casual guys you will meet. The parents are doing a feature about the most serious subject you could think of, and they are both barefoot?

God bless them....but.....

So are you actually alarmed by this? You REALLY want to convince everybody that Dan Bylsma is the only non-toxic candidate this world has ever seen, huh? You don't know the Richardson family. They deal with things their own way. They live their own lives. Being barefoot might've been some sort of tribute.

So are you actually alarmed by this? You REALLY want to convince everybody that Dan Bylsma is the only non-toxic candidate this world has ever seen, huh? You don't know the Richardson family. They deal with things their own way. They live their own lives. Being barefoot might've been some sort of tribute.

That's exactly what I thought.  Simple to imagine: their little girl liked to walk around the house barefoot.  Or something in the vein.

If it is a tribute....then God Bless them....

Please relax.....you have work ethic....don't let your brain go barefoot.....

That's exactly what I thought.  Simple to imagine: their little girl liked to walk around the house barefoot.  Or something in the vein.

There's no way for me to do this without backlash.....so fine.....God Bless.......

If it is a tribute....then God Bless them....

Please relax.....you have work ethic....don't let your brain go barefoot.....

There's no way for me to do this without backlash.....so fine.....God Bless.......

What exactly are you doing? Please, do tell. Insinuate a character flaw based on going barefoot? We get it.

I would consider Luke Richardson a strong candidate for the Amerks job. I think the Sabres need a coach with top level NHL experience. 

Why? I know this is the mindset of many, but I don't see why there's suddenly a stigma around guys who haven't had a head job in the league before.

What exactly are you doing? Please, do tell. Insinuate a character flaw based on going barefoot? We get it.

I'll be honest.....

If I understand Tim Murray like I think I do, there is almost zero chance Richardson gets hired.

I'm glad you are presenting him here. Heck, i voted Babcock wouldn't come to Buffalo and Richardson would be hired. I have now learned enough that I feel he won't be. There is a lot more than barefoot going on here. Lindy Ruff had a similar situation or two, and I have a better vibe. I will always give Lindy a real life pass for his coaching faults because I think he has a good heart. I need to see more on Richardson.....I feel a huge darkness. Lindy was just mad....this might be different.

OK....here is a more relaxed version of the guy....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkmcFFiKInw

I can't find a video of him on his own, other than a formal post game presser. He is always with the Mrs.....always in a house, and he at least wears socks in one of them, but she is barefoot for the whole shebang.

Seriously, God Bless them.

I'll be honest.....

If I understand Tim Murray like I think I do, there is almost zero chance Richardson gets hired.

I'm glad you are presenting him here. Heck, i voted Babcock wouldn't come to Buffalo and Richardson would be hired. I have now learned enough that I feel he won't be. There is a lot more than barefoot going on here. Lindy Ruff had a similar situation or two, and I have a better vibe. I will always give Lindy a real life pass for his coaching faults because I think he has a good heart. I need to see more on Richardson.....I feel a huge darkness. Lindy was just mad....this might be different.

Why do you think Tim Murray won't hire Luker?

Qwk....this is probably a good time for a horse racing comparison.

If you have 30 horses....and you have a main trainer who gets 15-20 of them, then maybe you throw Luke a horse or 3 if you really like the guy.  

They just tried to give Babcock $50 million. You can't go to Richardson.....it's going to get them both fired in 2 years.

If Bylsma was a 10 on your Librarian scale.....this guy has to be a 40......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.