The Ryan O'Reilly super thread 2015!!!

LGR4GM

Silfverberg was light years ahead in 2012-13 of where Grigorenko is now. It was pretty clear Silfverberg was going to be an NHL player, Grigorenko has a long way to go to get there.  

I didn't get a chance to see Silfverberg play, so I'm going completely on history and production. Silfverberg was 2 years older, so it makes sense that he was a little more developed. I'm not certain the value, especially to Roy, is "in an different universe".

I agree that someone is going to overpay for ROR, but the contract has to be factored in.  It's going to depress his market value.  No one is going to give up much for him without having an extension in place or at least feeling very confident about being able to sign him.  ROR is going to make it clear which teams he's interested in signing with and which he isn't.  That is going to reduce the number of bidders.

I think ultimately ROR, if he is traded this summer, will go to a team willing to give up a young top-pairing defenseman.  Colorado needs defenseman and they don't want to spend $7MM per year to get one.  For the Sabres to make that trade, it has to be Risto or maybe Bogo.

NFW are the sabres trading Risto or Bogo.   Zadorov or Pysyk are possibliities.  Bogo has a big contract so that is undesirable for the Avs.

Edited by freester

when Ryan was traded for Silfverberg, he was coming off an AHL season that was VERY similar to Grigorenko's last season. And Mikhail is 2 years younger that Sifverberg was at the time.

Silverberg played the entire 48 game NHL season in 2012-13 where he scored 10g & 19pts. I'd do handstands if Grigorenko put up those numbers for the Sabres next season. 

I'm not sure that's the case. I've heard a bunch of talk about how much Silfverberg is exceeding expectations. In fact, people are thinking Anaheim has really won that trade big time.

He is 5th in playoff scoring with 13 points and a +6 so I can see the surprise. Did you mean to say the Senators won the trade. The third sentence goes against the first two. 

When you get traded for a Bobby Ryan I am going to guess there are great expectations. 

Silverberg played the entire 48 game NHL season in 2012-13 where he scored 10g & 19pts. I'd do handstands if Grigorenko put up those numbers for the Sabres next season. 

Truth.

I still think he was closer to 25 than 28, and certainly not in a different universe.

He is 5th in playoff scoring with 13 points and a +6 so I can see the surprise. Did you mean to say the Senators won the trade. The third sentence goes against the first two. 

When you get traded for a Bobby Ryan I am going to guess there are great expectations. 

I meant that they are saying Anaheim really won the trade now. I'd have to look to see what people thought of the trade then. Bobby Ryan was a #2 overall pick and was considered one of the best young wingers in the game.

I meant that they are saying Anaheim really won the trade now. I'd have to look to see what people thought of the trade then. Bobby Ryan was a #2 overall pick and was considered one of the best young wingers in the game.

I get ya. 

IMO, Girgensons is a better equivalent to Silfverberg than Grigorenko. In talking trade value, Grigorenko is a nonstarter, Girgensons turns the conversation serious.  

Can I use 71million or 3% increase as the cap or not. I can't take you because I don't know myself yet.

Bettman indicated it will be $71M I believe.

Ready, set, go...

Waiting on team cap percentages spent on O'Reilly vs others.

Bettman indicated it will be $71M I believe.

Ready, set, go...

Waiting on team cap percentages spent on O'Reilly vs others.

Nope guess again...

Okay so the Salary Cap:

2010: 59.4mil

2011-2013: 64.3mil (Includes the lockout year which is why is stayed static)

2014: 69mil

2015: 71mil

Everyone good with that?

Nope guess again...

Okay so the Salary Cap:

Everyone good with that?

It might take a few days for everyone to check in and approve your methods, but I'm good with that.

I get ya. 

IMO, Girgensons is a better equivalent to Silfverberg than Grigorenko. In talking trade value, Grigorenko is a nonstarter, Girgensons turns the conversation serious.  

Agreed.  Silfverberg was a much more polished product than Grigs is now.

A name I don't see thrown around a lot in trade proposals is Johan Larsson.  His value is at an all time high right now, and would be a logical piece to put in an O'Reilly deal.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Nope guess again...

Okay so the Salary Cap:

Everyone good with that?

I feel like I should have my lawyer with me for this one.

It might take a few days for everyone to check in and approve your methods, but I'm good with that.

I am rounding the percentages between that year a contract was signed and compared to todays cap how much that player/contract is worth.

So for instance... 

Alexander Ovechkin was awarded 9,538,462 Caphit in 2008.  The difference between the 2008 cap and 2015's is 20% so in today's money, Ovechkin is worth 11,446,154 

Any problems with this methodology?

I am rounding the percentages between that year a contract was signed and compared to todays cap how much that player/contract is worth.

So for instance...

Alexander Ovechkin was awarded 9,538,462 Caphit in 2008. The difference between the 2008 cap and 2015's is 20% so in today's money, Ovechkin is worth 11,446,154

Any problems with this methodology?

Yes. It's not so black and white as you're making it out to be.

Man, that was a letdown.

Okay, Liger. I think we're all adults and don't need permission.

If am doing this I want approval of the methodology before I proceed.  I have no idea who's point this will prove disprove or if it won't matter.  

Yes. It's not so black and white as you're making it out to be.

Man, that was a letdown.

What did you think I was doing?  Also why don't you do that instead and then you won't be let down. 

If am doing this I want approval of the methodology before I proceed.  I have no idea who's point this will prove disprove or if it won't matter.  

What did you think I was doing?  Also why don't you do that instead and then you won't be let down. 

Man, just present what your going to present and see if it sways anybody.  This is like the lead up to Babcock signing.