The "Holland Tulip"

Seriously though.....did you watch Babcock's 2014 team?

You saw Ted Nolan have a system with the Sabres where goalies had stratospheric save percentages compared to their norm. They usually lose, but it was a constant.

You saw Ted Nolan come within 2 minutes of knocking Babcock and Canada out of a medal with that same system.

You saw 70% of the fanbase wanting to run that half-bred, no system, tank-wrecking, son of a gun right out of town.

Yet somehow nobody gives pause?

I laid out the reasons for Bylsma over Babcock. I'm glad many understood and even think it is a good option.

I missed this part of your post before.  And my response is...

The Nolan-Latvia-Babcock-Canada thing is a red herring. Small (especially teeny weeny) sample sizes are predictive of very little (and, really, exactly nothing).

(not actually me responding)

Two quick things because personally I don't care who the coach is as long as they get results.  

1) That system in the Latvia Canada game still worked.  Canada won.  On top of that those Olympics were on international ice surface and Babcock coached that team for a whopping what? 3 weeks?  Yea blame his system for almost losing a game but ignore they won a gold medal.  

2) That's racist.  Also having listened to the player locker clean out interviews and subsequent interviews, Nolan's time was up.

OK....since I am being nice and trying to communicate clearer.

When someone tells you: "I don't know why you would eat at Red Lobster when you can eat at Nobu. Did you see that shrimp scampi at Red Lobster?", Then I point out, "Did you see Long John Silvers serve up the same shrimp scampi at 90% quality as Nobu for $7.99 that Nobu charges $59.99 for?"

That doesn't mean I said, "Nobu has Sh!tty Food".

It means that I don't want to stand in line for 2 hours to pay $60 for something at a stuffy and structured establishment when I can sit down and relax with at Red lobster for $14.99 and $3 beers with my teenage kids, and the quality is similar, while the value and overall experience is the best given the situation.

I missed this part of your post before.  And my response is...

(not actually me responding)

How can you say that with a straight face when the reason you don't want Bylsma is because you saw him coach for 3 games in the same tournament???????

See my response to LGR using delicious seafood as my example of failed logic.

How can you say that with a straight face when the reason you don't want Bylsma is because you saw him coach for 3 games in the same tournament???????

The reason I don't want Bylsma is because I've never been impressed with him as a coach.  His lines always matchup well when he's coaching the Pens because how not?  With Crosby and Malkin against NHL squads, you're going to blow most teams out of the water at center ice regardless of what you do.  At the Olympics I got to see how he handled a lesser roster.  The tournament is small, so you can't get much of a read on how systems work.  But line matchups/changes are always on the coach.  And those little decisions mean so much more in a random single elimination tournament.

I also don't think very highly of his ability to keep his players level headed.  The Penguins get badly exploited by teams that get under their skin.  It's like when they get rattled they care more about trying to be tough than putting the thing in the thing.  Babcock's robots just go out there and play hockey.

OK....since I am being nice and trying to communicate clearer.

When someone tells you: "I don't know why you would eat at Red Lobster when you can eat at Nobu. Did you see that shrimp scampi at Red Lobster?", Then I point out, "Did you see Long John Silvers serve up the same shrimp scampi at 90% quality as Nobu for $7.99 that Nobu charges $59.99 for?"

That doesn't mean I said, "Nobu has Sh!tty Food".

It means that I don't want to stand in line for 2 hours to pay $60 for something at a stuffy and structured establishment when I can sit down and relax with at Red lobster for $14.99 and $3 beers with my teenage kids, and the quality is similar, while the value and overall experience is the best given the situation.

I have no clue what this analogy means and it applies to nothing I was discussing.  I don't care if we get Babcock or Bylsma or Richardson or some guy we don't know. I really do not care who the coach is.  My point was trying to use the Olympics to bash Babcock and then using the term "half bred" for Nolan are both flawed for any argument about coaching.  

Oh, man. I barfed a little in my mouth at that.  If you think you're actually enjoying food at a Red Lobster, then I'm not sure what to say to you. For a guy who's fairly obsessed with transparency and debunking illusions, the idea that scampi at Long John Silver's is something to compare to a place where that same food gets made from scratch by a competent chef is . . . well, a briny sort of irony.

I have no ###### clue what this analogy means and it applies to nothing I was discussing.  I don't care if we get Babcock or Bylsma or Richardson or some guy we don't know. I really do not care who the coach is.  My point was trying to use the Olympics to bash Babcock and then using the term "half bred" for Nolan are both flawed for any argument about coaching.  

That's where I am, too.

The reason I don't want Bylsma is because I've never been impressed with him as a coach.  His lines always matchup well when he's coaching the Pens because how not?  With Crosby and Malkin against NHL squads, you're going to blow most teams out of the water at center ice regardless of what you do.  At the Olympics I got to see how he handled a lesser roster.  The tournament is small, so you can't get much of a read on how systems work.  But line matchups/changes are always on the coach.  And those little decisions mean so much more in a random single elimination tournament.

I also don't think very highly of his ability to keep his players level headed.  The Penguins get badly exploited by teams that get under their skin.  It's like when they get rattled they care more about trying to be tough than putting the thing in the thing.  Babcock's robots just go out there and play hockey.

Has anyone bothered to confirm that Blysma coached BOTH CROSBY AND MALKIN IN THE SAME REGULAR SEASON GAME LESS THAN 200 TIMES?????

No one eats shrimp scampi at Nobu.

This is the most logical post of the day.

I want Weave to have real sushi some day. I think he'd go bonkers.

I have no ###### clue what this analogy means and it applies to nothing I was discussing.  I don't care if we get Babcock or Bylsma or Richardson or some guy we don't know. I really do not care who the coach is.  My point was trying to use the Olympics to bash Babcock and then using the term "half bred" for Nolan are both flawed for any argument about coaching.  

Yes.....the person who was laughed at for pointing out that Cody Hodgson's dad was heard by government officials saying, " Get those F'n Indians out of my park", minutes before the cops opened fire and killed people is the racist. Lord knows how much I hate Ted Nolan and never support him.

This is the most logical post of the day.

I want Weave to have real sushi some day. I think he'd go bonkers.

Yes.....the person who was laughed at for pointing out that Cody Hodgson's dad was heard by government officials saying, " Get those F'n Indians out of my park", minutes before the cops opened fire and killed people is the racist. Lord knows how much I hate Ted Nolan and never support him.

You're the guy who interjected race into this by calling Nolan a "half breed".  You did that.  You brought it.  You put that out there.  You posted it. It had nothing to do with him being fired and had nothing to do with the conversation that was occurring in the thread.  

Also thank you for agreeing with the other part of my post about Babcock and the Olympics.  

Yunho_wut_by_theseaiscalling-d5wvzf8.jpg

You're the guy who interjected race into this by calling Nolan a "half breed".  You did that.  You brought it.  You put that out there.  You posted it. It had nothing to do with him being fired and had nothing to do with the conversation that was occurring in the thread.  

Sorry. In what way is Nolan considered a half-breed of anything?

Yunho_wut_by_theseaiscalling-d5wvzf8.jpg

Sorry. In what way is Nolan considered a half-breed of anything?

Idk, I can't believe we are even discussing it.  Again I give 0 ###ks about who the coach is.  All I know is some of GoDD's arguments are ill thought out and weak sauce. 

Has anyone bothered to confirm that Blysma coached BOTH CROSBY AND MALKIN IN THE SAME REGULAR SEASON GAME LESS THAN 200 TIMES?????

I said "always" when I should've said "usually" when referring to Bylsma's line matchups working out.  I've seen the Pens get shut down hard with both Crosby and Malkin in the lineup.

There is this guy who posts in every WGR550 Facebook post about the Sabres about how Noah "Hannifin" (sic) is the player the Sabres need and Eichel is a bust. It's in every post and I have to believe the guy is a troll.

This thread smells like that.

Also thank you for agreeing with the other part of my post about Babcock and the Olympics.  

I consider that term to mean an idiot......which a LOT of people around here were implying about him in their giddiness to get him fired.

Calm down.......take a drive to Atlanta and hit the Gold Room.....

There is this guy who posts in every WGR550 Facebook post about the Sabres about how Noah "Hannifin" (sic) is the player the Sabres need and Eichel is a bust. It's in every post and I have to believe the guy is a troll.

This thread smells like that.

Is the guy from Arizona?  

Edited by X. Benedict

I said "always" when I should've said "usually" when referring to Bylsma's line matchups working out.  I've seen the Pens get shut down hard with both Crosby and Malkin in the lineup.

My biggest peeve with this whole Babcock thing is that people keep saying how elite and consistant he is. When I show how Bylsma has a better record in almost every category, especially head to head in the Stanley Cup, the excuse becomes..."Yeah.....but he had Crosby and Malkin!!!"

Crosby and Malkin played in the same regular season game for Bylsma for a total of less than 3 seasons. They were also hurt or coming off injury in multiple playoff years.

My biggest peeve with this whole Babcock thing is that people keep saying how elite and consistant he is. When I show how Bylsma has a better record in almost every category, especially head to head in the Stanley Cup, the excuse becomes..."Yeah.....but he had Crosby and Malkin!!!"

Crosby and Malkin played in the same regular season game for Bylsma for a total of less than 3 seasons. They were also hurt or coming off injury in multiple playoff years.

They both played in the cup run, which the Pens only won because Bylsma wasn't coach long enough to ruin them forever. ( :P )

Can we say they're both excellent and no proof exists as to which is better? In that case, we'll all bring personal observation and assessment to a message board. I like it! I like all of your views. I hold none of you to the "prove it" standard.

They both played in the cup run, which the Pens only won because Bylsma wasn't coach long enough to ruin them forever. ( :P )

How awesome would it be if he just took them from last to winning the Cup in a span of 6 months, then retired?

Torts is still my favorite as an overal coach....but I admit society is pulling away from his strength. I'd love to read a biography that he contributes to.

Can we say they're both excellent and no proof exists as to which is better? In that case, we'll all bring personal observation and assessment to a message board. I like it! I like all of your views. I hold none of you to the "prove it" standard.

I think you're lying! :P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.