What would you give up for Mike Babcock?

Chris in Syracuse

I was thinking if Babcock is available he may want control over the team or at least GM. Make him highest paid is a given. Would you fire GMTM? Tell Babcock he can hire whoever he wants or be a GM and coach. I say let's start fresh and rid ourselves of two miserable years of losing. It may be the only way to get a great coach.

We've had two: Imlach and Bowman.

I should've thought about it. But I'm still thinking more modern. Doesn't seem to be something that teams do today. Also no reason to think Babcock would have any clue what he's doing in the personnel department.

Speaking of Babcock: his father passed away last night.

I should've thought about it. But I'm still thinking more modern. Doesn't seem to be something that teams do today. Also no reason to think Babcock would have any clue what he's doing in the personnel department.

Speaking of Babcock: his father passed away last night.

Lou in NJ for parts of 2 seasons would be the most recent I can think of.

The topic is a what if scenario. Show Mr. Babcock our commitment to winning is greater than loyalty to anyone. If you are going to fire Nolan and try to make him a scapegoat, fire Murray as well. He may have hired Babcock years ago but to tell Babcock he has no authority in personnel seems less attractive. Let's see, most money and most control. Eichel/McDavid. Kane. mmm?

The topic is a what if scenario. Show Mr. Babcock our commitment to winning is greater than loyalty to anyone. If you are going to fire Nolan and try to make him a scapegoat, fire Murray as well. He may have hired Babcock years ago but to tell Babcock he has no authority in personnel seems less attractive. Let's see, most money and most control. Eichel/McDavid. Kane. mmm?

Showing commitment to winning isn't just firing a guy because he may not want to work with him. That shows that you're willing to sell yourself to a name.

It's not about loyalty to a person, but to a plan.

Not much. Is he the best coach in the NHL? Maybe, but I don't see anything special that he does that other coaches can't do.  Personally, I'd rather go the route of a younger coach who is thought of pretty highly.

Would I take his as coach? Sure, but not at the expense of giving him ANY more power than you would any other coach. If he asks for a lot of control over the roster, or an outrageous salary, I'll pass.  

I want a GOOD coach with Great players. This is hockey, I don't need to stretch myself out too far with a coach.

Don't be ######. I think it's fair to discount guys that are just plugging in for part of a lost season and guys from the beginning of time and space.

Thinking at least 90s to now.

Is there a case of coach/GM in NHL history?

Showing commitment to winning isn't just firing a guy because he may not want to work with him. That shows that you're willing to sell yourself to a name.

It's not about loyalty to a person, but to a plan.

Why is that any different than intentionally finishing last two years in a row. We are selling ourselves and have been for two years for McEichel.

Edited by Chris in Syracuse

Don't want the coach trying to take on the G.M. duties as well. Coachings a hard enough job as is G.M. For a winning formula I believe its been shown that G.M. hires coach and they work together hashing out player moves etc with the G.M. asking the coach his opinion and the G.M. making the final decision. Let GMTM finish the job he inherited. 

A GM must focus on the 25 guys on the active roster, and everyone else in the system to maintain the pipeline of talent. A coach stops at the active,roster. I imagine you could reorganize your scouting and player development, but I think the two roles should be separate.

Don't want the coach trying to take on the G.M. duties as well. Coachings a hard enough job as is G.M. For a winning formula I believe its been shown that G.M. hires coach and they work together hashing out player moves etc with the G.M. asking the coach his opinion and the G.M. making the final decision. Let GMTM finish the job he inherited.

It seems there is no hashing out with Murray. He has hung Nolan out to dry before. Nolan needed a center and Murray said no. Kaleta had to play center which he hadn't in years. I can't see how any good coach would want to work with Murray.

Edited by Chris in Syracuse

It seems there is no hashing out with Murray. He has hung Nolan out to dry before. Nolan needed a center and Murray said no. Kaleta had to play center which he hadn't in years. I can't see how any good coach would want to work with Murray.

But there's a pecking order in any managerial situation such as this. Coach has to work with what he has most times when it comes to injuries etc. so most good coaches are aware of that. Just my opinion of course. Also what we hear in the media and what G.M. /coach actually talk about are prolly to different things. They keep much of what they discuss close to the vest.

It seems like you're completely ignoring the situation the team is in and the obvious plan that has been in place for years now.

Edited by Tank

But there's a pecking order in any managerial situation such as this. Coach has to work with what he has most times when it comes to injuries etc. so most good coaches are aware of that. Just my opinion of course. Also what we hear in the media and what G.M. /coach actually talk about are prolly to different things. They keep much of what they discuss close to the vest.

Agreed

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.