coughlindycoughcough

PASabreFan

Obtuse.

The point, as everyone here knows, was that when Lindy had good offensive talent, his teams were high-scoring -- both here and in Dallas (which is #4 in the NHL in scoring despite losing their top scorer to injury a couple of weeks ago).  When he had no offensive talent but had a great goalie, he built a winner around a different system.  And when he didn't have either, his teams were crappy -- like every other coach in the world.

Wait a minute, are you implying it takes good players, and a coach willing to change systems to use their strengths to win, and you are trying to reinforce that craziness with logic? That's all unbelievable. It just takes compete, you always need more compete, haven't you been listening to Nolan?

Obtuse.

The point, as everyone here knows, was that when Lindy had good offensive talent, his teams were high-scoring -- both here and in Dallas (which is #4 in the NHL in scoring despite losing their top scorer to injury a couple of weeks ago).  When he had no offensive talent but had a great goalie, he built a winner around a different system.  And when he didn't have either, his teams were crappy -- like every other coach in the world.

You lost me at "as everyone here knows." I'm done with Lindy. I'm sorry I brought it up. He was a good coach. I miss his delightful tales of lighting farts on fire outside the Igloo.

Am I the only one that remembers that even though the '05-'07 were high scoring, they were very much system first, defensive teams, often penned in to their own zone for long stretches, with a lot of our goals coming on breakouts? Maybe a stats guy could correct me, but I would doubt that our possession stats were very good in those years.

Edited by BolotoO

Am I the only one that remembers that even though the '05-'07 were high scoring, they were very much system first, defensive teams, often penned in to their own zone for long stretches, with a lot of our goals coming on breakouts? Maybe a stats guy could correct me, but I would doubt that our possession stats were very good in those years.

Yup. Absolutely right. They were terrible in 06-07, but shot 12.6%

The defenses were very active getting up ice and often made entries across the blue-line. The breakouts were usually long passes from the Buffalo goal-line to center ice. 

Rarely were those teams in defensive postures. Not a defensive system. Those teams almost never trapped either. 

I don't know. Dallas plays entertaining hockey. They don't have a defense, so usually they need to shoot and gamble to win. They aren't a dull team at all.

Sure. But they're still the most disappointing team in hockey right now.

The superlative belongs to one of these three: Colorodo, Columbus, or Toronto.

I'm not sure Columbus is as disappointing as the other two. They had an unreal amount of devastating injuries to start the season and never could recover. I don't think anyone had expectations after that. Definitely disappointing from a beginning of training camp standpoint, but they haven't underperformed based on their injury issues.

I don't know. Dallas plays entertaining hockey. They don't have a defense, so usually they need to shoot and gamble to win.  They aren't a dull team at all.

They had a good defense and then kind of deconstructed it. I think that started when they got rid of Stephane Robidas. He wasn't the best D on the team, but he was steadfast and dependable.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

I don't think its going to happen at all, but I would be more than happy with Lindy back as coach.  I think hes a pretty good coach at least, and I like the guy.

Seeing how I don't think its a real possibility, I'm in the same place with the Sabres that I have been with the Bills, give me a younger guy, not a retread.  Someone with at least the appearance of a lot of energy (if anything, it will make me feel good to see that), someone who at the very least accepts analytics and will make some use of it.

Cup run? I'm not buying that.

Hockey News had them 7th in the West preseason.

They were a popular pick to make noise in the West. I believe multiple posters here had them slotted in their cup final in the predictions thread. Once they added Spezza people expected a lot. No matter how you look at it they have been brutally disappointing under Lindy this year.

They were a popular pick to make noise in the West. I believe multiple posters here had them slotted in their cup final in the predictions thread. Once they added Spezza people expected a lot. No matter how you look at it they have been brutally disappointing under Lindy this year.

It was pretty apparent the first month of the season that they had no defense and their goaltending was suspect. Still, they are fun to watch. Seguin was having a breakout year until that dirty hit. Brutally disappointing? If you need it that way, I guess. I just thought they were fun to watch because they were going to try to score their way to wins this year. Makes for fun hockey, but it was a flawed team from the start so I wouldn't say it underperformed greatly. They have the worst blue line in the league.

But it hasn't been defensive hockey at all.

Edited by X. Benedict

It was pretty apparent the first month of the season that they had no defense and their goaltending was suspect. Still, they are fun to watch. Seguin was having a breakout year until that dirty hit. Brutally disappointing? If you need it that way, I guess. I just thought they were fun to watch because they were going to try to score their way to wins this year. Makes for fun hockey, but it was a flawed team from the start so I wouldn't say it underperformed greatly. They have the worst blue line in the league.

But it hasn't been defensive hockey at all.

They are the highest scoring team in the West (and they've only played us once) so I would say you are correctomundo. Blue line and Goalkeeping has been a problem all year for them. Unfortunately (or maybe not) I see alot more of their games than I do ours.

They are the highest scoring team in the West (and they've only played us once) so I would say you are correctomundo. Blue line and Goalkeeping has been a problem all year for them. Unfortunately (or maybe not) I see alot more of their games than I do ours.

I've used this tank of a year to watch more Western hockey then I ever have. Thanks for weighing in, I hope you stick around.

It's never Lindy with some people. When he has a lot of good players, he'll get you close-ish.

It's never Lindy with some people. When he has a lot of good players, he'll get you close-ish.

Like most coaches. Give Ted Nolan a team with some players and he'll do the same. Put Mike Babcock with our team of mutts at the start of this season and he'd fail miserably as well.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.