Sabre diving theory

Corp000085

Ok, i have not noticed it, but the NESN guys are convinced that the sabres dive. They do fall down a lot when they play the bruins, but htat's usually due to the bruins holding, clutching, grabbing technique. I know that briere has been warned or fined this year too. However, do the sabres actually dive, or is the NESN crew just drilling into our heads so that we start to question whether or not the sabres do dive? I will admit that i believe the sabres go down very easily when there's a hooking penalty to be made. Is that cheap? Maybe... Is that good coaching? yes. Is it diving though? That's a fine line.

Anyhow, i do not believe that the sabres dive in games, especially against the crying chowderhead bruins. Beware of Bear, assclowns.

Ok, i have not noticed it, but the NESN guys are convinced that the sabres dive. They do fall down a lot when they play the bruins, but htat's usually due to the bruins holding, clutching, grabbing technique. I know that briere has been warned or fined this year too. However, do the sabres actually dive, or is the NESN crew just drilling into our heads so that we start to question whether or not the sabres do dive? I will admit that i believe the sabres go down very easily when there's a hooking penalty to be made. Is that cheap? Maybe... Is that good coaching? yes. Is it diving though? That's a fine line.

Anyhow, i do not believe that the sabres dive in games, especially against the crying chowderhead bruins. Beware of Bear, assclowns.

The NESN announcers pretty much made me want to puke tonight. They were wrong on a lot of the names, questioned every call that went against the Bruins, and basically suck. I can't believe the good folks (term used loosely) of New England approve of these two jackasses. There's got to be somebody better out there.

I'm glad we're done playing Boston, because I can't stomach another game with those two announcing.

An easy answer to that is, if it's actually diving, then that's also a penalty and should be called. As long as the refs don't call it, I guess it's not a penalty. I haven't heard Rick or Jim talk about other teams taking dives that often. Just a couple of homer re-tahds that are having a hard time dealing with the fact that their team blows man-crack. The Sabres that go down easy are guys like Afineginov, Briere, Drury, Pominville, etc....guys that get knocked over in a strong wind.

The NESN announcers pretty much made me want to puke tonight. They were wrong on a lot of the names, questioned every call that went against the Bruins, and basically suck. I can't believe the good folks (term used loosely) of New England approve of these two jackasses. There's got to be somebody better out there.

I'm glad we're done playing Boston, because I can't stomach another game with those two announcing.

My thoughts exactly. I am so glad I won't have to listen to those two idiots anymore - if it wasn't such a long drive from Orlando I might have driven to HSBC and punched them both in the throats, but that's neither here nor there... ;)

(rant)On a side note, I am a little surprised that Jack Edwards has gotten away from being a competent NHL announcer from ESPN/ESPN2 and turned into this smart-a$$ homer. When Dumont was taken down & hi-sticked in front of the Bruins net, he made some comment like "if you don't want to get hit, don't go there" (in the slot). Another one was where Kalinin knocked someone off the puck just inside the Sabres' blueline, and Edwards was chirping for a tripping call against Grier (because apparently no one can take down a Bruin without cheating...) anyway when Brickley corrected him that it wasn't really a penalty, he said something like "Well I guess I am still learning this game, I've only been watching it for about 40 years." Brickley also said something about hating Briere as an announcer, so he can only imagine how much the Bruins must hate him, and then later in the night Edwards alluded to Briere's "reputation" as a diver. (/rant)

Thank God I won't have to listen to those clowns again this year...

During the last game in Philly, the announcers called them divers at least twice.

I heard that also, but those guys weren't on the same level of sucky as theese two idiots from NESN. I used to think that the Lightning guys were the worst in the league, but the NESN road crew beats them easily.

I want to know what everyone else's feelings are on the Leetch hit on Briere...Of course according to NESN, Leetch "tapped" Briere, and Briere fell down, but to me it looked like the "tap" was right in the back of the knee. Normally if you catch someone in the right spot in the back of the knee, they are going to have a hard time keeping their balance.

That was one time where i thought briere fell a little.. weird.

I don't think he dove, but i definitely think he embelleshed it.

Usually I look for players jumping right back up on their skates when they're knocked down, not worrying about a call, but he definitely sat on the ice for a few seconds before getting back into the play.

I did think the call in the third which led to the game winner when Novotny was "hooked" was highly questionable, but I'll take it!

I agree- I thought last night's officiating was kind of suspect for most of the game. There wasn't a lot to the hook on Novotny, but then there wasn't a lot of substance to the Briere hook less than a minute before, so I wonder if it was a get-even call.

I agree- I thought last night's officiating was kind of suspect for most of the game. There wasn't a lot to the hook on Novotny, but then there wasn't a lot of substance to the Briere hook less than a minute before, so I wonder if it was a get-even call.

Brick pointed that out last night. Edwards was whining about the hook call but Brick said well it was similar to the Briere hook so he could live with it. Edwards was horrible as usual but Brick actually wasn't too bad except for the comment on Briere that was mentioned earlier. It got to the point that watching the game and listening to them was making my ears bleed. No more NESN announcers though.

Sorry. Don't buy it. The Sabres are only 12th in the league in drawing penalties. If they are such divers why do they only seem to do it against Boston? The Bruins suck and are 1-7 vs. Buffalo. Their frustration has made them whiners. Go watch the Sawx you cryin' !

I'm so glad someone started this thread. I absolutely can't stand the NESN guys. It's almost like it pains them to say anything bad about their beloved Bruins or anything good about the Sabres. There were dubious penalty calls going both ways, but you would swear the refs handed the game to the Sabres with the way they were talking. I actually did hit mute for part of the game.

I'm so glad someone started this thread. I absolutely can't stand the NESN guys. It's almost like it pains them to say anything bad about their beloved Bruins or anything good about the Sabres. There were dubious penalty calls going both ways, but you would swear the refs handed the game to the Sabres with the way they were talking. I actually did hit mute for part of the game.

Good thread - I don't feel I noticed the Sabres taking 'dives' in any games this year, except possibly the Bruins. Perhaps they ran with this perception that they do dive (Boynton started it back a month or so ago) and used it to their advantage.

Specific calls - I thought Briere definitely embellished that slash/trip and I also thought that Vanek dropped on that cross-check. I actually thought Novotny was a hook and he only fell awkward b/c of the hook and how while falling he was still trying to clear the puck from the front of the net.

I hope we do not pick up the reputation on a league-wide basis. There is nothing I personally hate more then guys that flop. If you feel a hook and do go down, get right back up. I thought I recall Dumont doing just that once or twice last night.

this diving talk is crap... Leetch poked Briere in the back of the knee and in between his legs, that is a penalty no matter how Danny flails around, and there was no reason for him to do it other than to trip him. Maybe Danny B threw his arms up and embelished, but he would have fallen over no matter what and that is a penalty.

The Novotney trip was probably a bad call, but Novotney didn't fall because he was trying to get a penalty called, he fell because he was off balance and was just trying to get the puck away from the net... it's not his fault the ref thought that the Bruins guy hooked/tripped him. He didn't fall with the intention of getting a penalty called, at least it didn't look like it to me.

If you have every skated I'm sure you know it is easy to fall with a stick in the back of your knee, in between your legs and when you are off balance and just trying to get the puck out on a shorthanded situation.

as far as the no call on the stick to the face for Dumont, that sucked but at least he's ok.

The NESN guys are horrible and everything said above is dead on... the last penalty when someone tripped Briere, "Briere goes down in a puff of smoke AGAIN!" and then when he actually opened his eyes and watched the replay he said almost under his breath "oh, that is a penalty" and then went on to say that Danny B is getting a reputation for a diver and it's hard to think that he's not diving..... what a moron.

I did think the call in the third which led to the game winner when Novotny was "hooked" was highly questionable, but I'll take it!

The hook itself was a bit weak, but I didn't think that Novotny dove. He was turned around a bit by the hook and then lost balance when he reached forward for the puck.

Archived