Prediction time: Which player will take the biggest step up in 2014-15?

nfreeman

Movin' on up  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which Sabre -- youngster or veteran -- is going to make the biggest jump this season?

• Enroth
    • Neuvirth
    • Zadorov
    • Ristolainen
    • Pysyk
    • Myers
    • McCabe
    • Ruhwedel
    • Grigorenko
    • Girgensons
    • Hodgson
    • Ennis
    • Reinhart
    • Larsson
    • Foligno
    • Deslauriers
    • Stafford
    • Armia
  2. 2. Which player's development is most critical for the team's improvement in 2014-15 (assuming you do NOT want them to tank)?

• Either Enroth or Neuvirth
    • Zadorov
    • Ristolainen
    • Myers
    • Grigorenko
    • Girgensons
    • Hodgson
    • Ennis
    • Reinhart
    • Foligno
    • Stafford
    • Armia
  3. 3. Purely as a matter of personal preference, which youngster would you most like to see turn into a really good NHL player?

• Enroth
    • Neuvirth
    • Zadorov
    • Ristolainen
    • McCabe
    • Ruhwedel
    • Grigorenko
    • Girgensons
    • Reinhart
    • Larsson
    • Foligno
    • Deslauriers
    • Armia

#1 & #3 I chose Grigorenko. He's been dragged through a real $hitparade so far by the organization. I hope he can use that as a chip on his shoulder and be able to compete & produce at an NHL level.

#2: Tyler Myers. Everybody here seems to be agreeing with the goalies which I agree with to an extent but for the first time in a long, long time the team is devoid of a goaltender who is going to steal a game for us when all other parts of our game break down. We need Myers to step up to the player he's shown he can be and more importantly paid to be. He needs to set an example to the rest of our D-Core. If he plays confidently it will trickle down to the rest of the team.

Personally, I don't think that's going to happen and poor play in our defensive zone by the D & Goalies is what is going to keep us nestled tightly in the bottom of the standings all year. I do predict our offensive to be more productive this year (how can it not be?). I sincerely believe Leino had some sort of kinetic vampirism that sucked the goal-juice from everyone on the team. Getting rid of the waiver scraps and having the younger guys become less young will help as well.

Similarly, if Risto becomes a rock-solid, 19 min-per-game top-4 defenseman, that would be a pretty substantial leap -- but Myers would, IMHO, need to (finally!) make it to the all-star game to take a similarly-sized leap. I would think Hodgson and Ennis would need to get to around 70 points, Stafford to 35 goals, etc.

ve 'em.

Just a quick comment on the All-star game. While that would be nice to have more, you have to figure Buffalo only sends one player to the All-star game, but Myers has a much chance as anyone. Just doing the math, there are 16 teams in the East. Each team seems to have one player (you have to keep the fans interested), so that's 16 players locked in with one Sabre. If another Sabre fills one of the remaining 5 slots (12 F + 6 D + 3G??), Buffalo is having a way better year than expected.

I went w/ Myers, Reinhart, & Grigorenko.

I expect Myers will prove to be the real deal and this year will be his (2nd) coming out party.

Went w/ Reinhart for 2, but could easily have gone w/ the goalie combo. I expect having 2 strong centers would be almost as important as getting solid goaltending for having a reasonable season, and expect there is a better chance that he'll play as a legit #2 than either goalie will be in the top 10.

For 3, went w/ Grigorenko because if he pans out, the Sabres go from having arguably the worst C's in the league to quite likely a top 5 set in 2-3 years.

Just a quick comment on the All-star game. While that would be nice to have more, you have to figure Buffalo only sends one player to the All-star game, but Myers has a much chance as anyone. Just doing the math, there are 16 teams in the East. Each team seems to have one player (you have to keep the fans interested), so that's 16 players locked in with one Sabre. If another Sabre fills one of the remaining 5 slots (12 F + 6 D + 3G??), Buffalo is having a way better year than expected.

east and west dont matter do they? The nhl is doing the draft for the 2 teams again right? I also don't think they have a concrete rule of at least 1 per team anymore

east and west dont matter do they? The nhl is doing the draft for the 2 teams again right? I also don't think they have a concrete rule of at least 1 per team anymore

Haven't they been doing some sort of young stars thing as well? So in between the all star rosters and that young star roster, that would be how they get at least one guy from every team. If he's in the NHL, your one representative is Reinhart.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.