Armchair Psychiatrist on Draft Picks

A lot has been said that Buffalo pushed these kids in their interviews. I am a firm believer that certain people have the ability to see "an aura" of a person in quick fashion. I don't know how many can, and it's not good to outright judge, but the intangibles of life might just be the most important thing.

My impression from seeing the draft picks talk....

Reinhart is ok for being in the spotlight for so long, but he just screams Pominville to me. He will probably work hard and be a solid enough player, but when you answer questions in the intonation of a question.....that's the kind of thing that gets you pulled over at customs and doesn't exactly inspire others. He was a little better when it seemed he was answering naturally, but I don't think you have the next big thing here.

Lemieux......holy sh!t......TV should sign this kid to a contract now. He is in total command but not abrasive at all. He knows what he feels, says it, does it with passion, can self-reflect, and has a vocabulary and logic to him. I don't know what his game translates to, but if he has anywhere near the talent of Girginsons, this kid is a threat to be a captain down the line. He's built like a jock as well, but talks like a 40 year old who has seen the world. Impressed....similar to Lazar last year.

Cornel.....Comes across as a bit slow on the uptake, but he makes sense and it could just be nerves. He reminds me of a cross between Dale Hawerchuk and Tim Connolly in both looks and personality. I guess I can settle for that. I bet this kid is a boom or bust. He ends up with 300 NHL goals....or 12......

Martin.....wouldn't have touched this kid with a 10' pole. Comes off as arrogant and entitled. That's different than even cocky. He's probably going to get a big surprise and those attributes don't bode well for rising to the occasion of a challenge.

Again....basing it on 3 to 10 minutes of interviews.....but you can see a basic personality in that time. My guess is that in 4 years, Lemieux has more endorsement deals in the city than Reinhart.......

I agree that Lemieux is polished and I'm looking forward to what he will bring the same way we were hopeful about Zack Kassian when he was drafted... I hope he doesn't follow the same trajectory.

I don't agree with your impression on Martin. The interview did not come across as arrogant or entitled to me. Surely he's confident and that's something we should want. I'm not sure what the odds are on 3rd rounders, but I'm fine with what I heard in that interview

Good stuff Drane.

Not disagreeing here, but what signs separate a nice-boy Pominville from a nice-boy Toews?

Or Lemieux's self-confidence and self-possession from self-centredness?

And what changes will there be in these kids by the time they are 25?

Not disagreeing here, but what signs separate a nice-boy Pominville from a nice-boy Toews?

i once saw pominville in line (a long line) at a panera on nf blvd. he was with his then-girlfriend, now wife.

i feel like if i could see reinhart in that situation, i'd have more insight into this issue.

also toews. i'd want to see toews, with his lady friend (presumably a lady), in line at a panera.

a chipotle would work as well.

edit: as noted below, my phone originally corrected "toews" to "toes." i've corrected it, in the event anyone was confused. i sorta prefer "toes", in truth.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I agree that Lemieux is polished and I'm looking forward to what he will bring the same way we were hopeful about Zack Kassian when he was drafted... I hope he doesn't follow the same trajectory.

I don't agree with your impression on Martin. The interview did not come across as arrogant or entitled to me. Surely he's confident and that's something we should want. I'm not sure what the odds are on 3rd rounders, but I'm fine with what I heard in that interview

I should try and find more interviews with Martin. I almost turned it off after 50 seconds because it made me cringe.

i once saw pominville in line (a long line) at a panera on nf blvd. he was with his then-girlfriend, now wife.

i feel like if i could see reinhart in that situation, i'd have more insight into this issue.

also toews. i'd want to see toews, with his lady friend (presumably a lady), in line at a panera.

a chipotle would work as well.

edit: as noted below, my phone originally corrected "toews" to "toes." i've corrected it, in the event anyone was confused. i sorta prefer "toes", in truth.

What did you glean from Pommer's line performance? Was he impatient? Rocking back and forth like the anthem was playing? Did he toussle some kid's hair?

Good stuff Drane.

Or Lemieux's self-confidence and self-possession from self-centredness?

And what changes will there be in these kids by the time they are 25?

We have to see how that personality translates to play. I'm not knocking Reinhart, just my impression. He's had a lot of time in front of a mic already and has been closely followed as the next big thing for a few years so it isn't new to him. Everyone says he is a smart kid and that he anticipates on the ice. I don't see that anticipation in his social interaction. He almost overthinks it if it isn't an obvious flow. Again, he could be a very smart kid, but maybe airplane co-pilot smart, where he runs down the checklist every flight to make sure the plane doesn't crash. I like Tom Cruise fighter pilot smart.

I can see where Lemieux could rub some people the wrong way. My guess is the kid is smart off the charts, and is a goofball chatterbox for the sake of self-entertainment. There is a 4 minute piece with him and Ekblad as best friends, and Lemieux is the alpha for sure. He seems to be a more fine-tuned Steve Ott. He doesn't think when he talks.....which to me is the sign of a truly confident person, and one who makes it easier for me to trust. Some people are just shy in social situations and it comes across as thinking, but this kid wasn't throwing out clichés or what he thought you wanted to hear. He handled the press like a CEO in an important situation.

When a kid can do that at 18, that is the "it" factor. I have no idea if his game will be good enough to have an important role down the line, but even if he is a career 3rd/4th liner....he is the type you want around for the playoffs.

Again, nothing wrong with quiet and measured. Ray Bourque and Scott Stevens both won a Stanley Cup......but Bourque had to be traded as a favor to find it....

What did you glean from Pommer's line performance? Was he impatient? Rocking back and forth like the anthem was playing? Did he toussle some kid's hair?

ha. no, he did none of that. it's hard to describe, really. it was apparent to us that his companion was taking the lead in ordering -- it appeared that she even over-ruled him at one point. it was the look on this face that stayed with me (us); as he picked up his food and turned to find a spot to sit, he had this look that was like ... i dunno, somewhat resigned to the whole situation. it was a good situation, mind you. but it had a certain world-weary quality to it.

whenever my buddies and i talk about pominville, we call to mind two situations: the series clincher against ottawa (in a supporting and unheralded role), and looking the way he did with a panera tray in his hands.

Edited by That Aud Smell

ha. no, he did none of that. it's hard to describe, really. it was apparent to us that his companion was taking the lead in ordering -- it appeared that she even over-ruled him at one point. it was the look on this face that stayed with me (us); as he picked up his food and turned to find a spot to sit, he had this look that was like ... i dunno, somewhat resigned to the whole situation. it was a good situation, mind you. but it had a certain world-weary quality to it.

whenever my buddies and i talk about pominville, we call to mind two situations: the series clincher against ottawa (in a supporting and unheralded role), and looking the way he did with a panera tray in his hands.

This is great stuff.

Don't know if it's the draft or the push for more threads, but the board sure has come alive.

This is great stuff.

Don't know if it's the draft or the push for more threads, but the board sure has come alive.

I'll be honest...I don't like starting threads. If I have a comment, I just usually respond to what I see. I also hate the "I started it first" thing that goes on. We're just a bunch of dudes and a few dudettes hanging out and shooting the breeze.

Having said that, given the directive, if I have a new or separate idea, I am fine with it.

I saw Gil Perreault at Dinky Donut's.

I'd like to take the opportunity, Mr. Ghost, to congratulate you on your NHL predictions from last year. I think that bodes well for your predictions in this thread. There are men and women that make a living out of reading another being's "aura." It takes a trained eye, they say, but I think that there may be talent in the mind, as you have alluded to in this thread.

I'm not yet convinced that Tim Murray has talent in evaluation. I mean, if he were keen at evaluation, why would he have accepted this role from LaFontaine? Or had he figured the Pegula system out beforehand? Or is he just making a lot of money and willing to go through the minimal efforts, such as drafting high picks with as few words as possible? You tell me Mr. Ghost, et al. Are they genuine hipster glasses, or empty frames?

A lot has been said that Buffalo pushed these kids in their interviews. I am a firm believer that certain people have the ability to see "an aura" of a person in quick fashion. I don't know how many can, and it's not good to outright judge, but the intangibles of life might just be the most important thing.

My impression from seeing the draft picks talk....

Reinhart is ok for being in the spotlight for so long, but he just screams Pominville to me. He will probably work hard and be a solid enough player, but when you answer questions in the intonation of a question.....that's the kind of thing that gets you pulled over at customs and doesn't exactly inspire others. He was a little better when it seemed he was answering naturally, but I don't think you have the next big thing here.

Meh, this is just sour grapes man :-) It'll pass as this kid produces.

Amusing stuff, Drane. Can't comment on picks 2-7 since I don't know much about them and haven't had a chance to watch the vids, but I'm not concerned about Reinhart's canned answers. From what I've read his game is not flashy, so why should his personality be? I wouldn't be disappointed if he turns into Pominville, as long as someone else has the C on their sweater.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.