Compliance Buyouts

Eleven

He's been a damn good D-man. I can't hold the last quarter of this past season against him. I'm for keeping him if he wants to stay. No matter how much people want to tear a team apart and start from scratch, you need some veterans no matter how you look at it.

I'm fine with a veteran who looks and acts like he wants to be here. A la Ott. I'm not fine with a vet that looks and acts like he'd rather not be stuck on a full blown rebuild. Or someone whose skill is so far deteriorated like Hank. Much as like him there are other vets that could contribute much more for us.

I'm fine with a veteran who looks and acts like he wants to be here. A la Ott. I'm not fine with a vet that looks and acts like he'd rather not be stuck on a full blown rebuild. Or someone whose skill is so far deteriorated like Hank. Much as like him there are other vets that could contribute much more for us.

With the exception of the last quarter of the season when he was stuck picking up everybody elses slack because half the roster wasn't capable of playing at an NHL level, he has been a professional. He never went through the motions, he usually looked like he enjoyed being there (whether he actually did or not) and there was very little on the roster to compliment his strengths. If he wants to go, get him out. If he hasn't made mention of being traded I don't see why it would be a priority. I doubt there was a D-man in the league last year that played so many minutes and had to cover for so many inadequacies of everybody else around him.

What defensive veterans? Myers? Weber? Weber is a borderline NHL D-man and Myers hasn't proven anything yet. A short stretch of games does not make up for the last 3 years of underachievements. Ehrhoff is the very least of this teams concerns.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

So the Sabres have two available, and one is almost certainly to be used on Leino.

Is it possible that they have to use the other on Ehrhoff? The grid (below) on possible recapture penalties if he retires--even if he's traded first--is scary:

http://capgeek.com/recapture-grid

Saw something that said in order to use a compliance buyout on a player that player has to pass through waivers first. Which, if Ehrhoff is claimed on waivers (I assume he would be) the Sabres would then be on the hook for the full recapture penalty they'd be looking to avoid with the buyout. If they're looking to reduce the risk of the recapture penalty the only option for Ehrhoff is to keep him.

The league has confirmed that both ordinary-course and compliance buyouts supersede cap benefit recapture. However, a player must clear unconditional waivers prior to any buyout — unless he chooses to block the waiver process with a no-move clause, should he have one — and thus could be claimed by another team if the player intends to remain active. In these cases, the buyout is pre-empted and the waiving team is still subject to the recapture penalties they were trying to avoid. Meanwhile, ordinary-course buyouts executed in “back-diving” years typically come with equally stiff cap charges.

http://capgeek.com/faq/how-does-cap-advantage-recapture-work

Saw something that said in order to use a compliance buyout on a player that player has to pass through waivers first. Which, if Ehrhoff is claimed on waivers (I assume he would be) the Sabres would then be on the hook for the full recapture penalty they'd be looking to avoid with the buyout. If they're looking to reduce the risk of the recapture penalty the only option for Ehrhoff is to keep him.

http://capgeek.com/f...-recapture-work

He could cooperate and block the waiver, because he has a no movement clause. It would be well worth it for him. He gets major bucks from the Sabres and then picks where he goes for more major bucks.

He could cooperate and block the waiver, because he has a no movement clause. It would be well worth it for him. He gets major bucks from the Sabres and then picks where he goes for more major bucks.

Isn't his modified? Would he be able to block waivers with a modified no-trade-clause?

With the exception of the last quarter of the season when he was stuck picking up everybody elses slack because half the roster wasn't capable of playing at an NHL level, he has been a professional. He never went through the motions, he usually looked like he enjoyed being there (whether he actually did or not) and there was very little on the roster to compliment his strengths. If he wants to go, get him out. If he hasn't made mention of being traded I don't see why it would be a priority. I doubt there was a D-man in the league last year that played so many minutes and had to cover for so many inadequacies of everybody else around him.

What defensive veterans? Myers? Weber? Weber is a borderline NHL D-man and Myers hasn't proven anything yet. A short stretch of games does not make up for the last 3 years of underachievements. Ehrhoff is the very least of this teams concerns.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

I get your points. I was thinking of free agent pick up or someone coming back in a trade.

I respect your opinion and I also have one. Or maybe the veteran guy could be McBain. :w00t:

I'm not upset it hasn't happened because I'm confidant that it will, but I really did think Ville would be one of the first compliance buyouts we'd hear about.

I mean, there really isn't much to mull over on this...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.