Ouch!!!

bob_sauve28

Still think it was Lindy's fault that Vanek never got to Ovechkin status, eh? Therrien -- a second NHL coach with substantial playoff success --taking Vanek's measure and not liking what he saw doesn't move the needle for you?

But it wasn't really a checking/energy role -- when he got demoted, Briere was his center most of the time. It was more like a third scoring line that Therrien just didn't like/trust enough to give them much ice time.

Certainly possible, but if so, why would Therrien publicly throw Vanek under the bus the way he did?

Well, he was on a line with Wiese. Limited time, and defensive zone starts.

Blaming Vanek for not producing in that role - well, why not scratch Vanek and start Travis Moen.

Therrien made the lines. I just think they were dumb.

Edited by X. Benedict

Vanek gets 5 goals 3 assists for 8 pts 21 SOG in 11 games in the Boston and Tampa series. Respectable.

Gets demoted to 4th line for the ECF with new line-mates. Looks lost.

Vanek didn't set the world on fire. But what the hell was Therrien thinking? Weak coaching move.

Put Vanek out in a checking, energy role at 11 minutes and then blame Vanek for his lack of production in that role?

Vanek is taking it on the chin. But Therrien really didn't have the balls to scratch him.

What's Therrien thinking here? Make the player play his way off the checking line in the ECF?

I agree with this. They went out and got Vanek for production. Demoting him certainly wasn't putting him in a position to succeed.

So your standard is one that the guy who wins the Rocket Richard Trophy each year doesn't even qualify for. Overly strict criteria, wouldn't you say?

going back and re-reading that...yeah, that's pretty strict. what I meant in my head was guys that don't give up and cash it in more so than not. How many times did this board complain about Vanek mailing it in or getting down on himself and letting the smallest mistake seat at him. That's not the sign of an elite player in my mind. Look at Kane or Toews, or even someone like Chara, who even though I hate, I think he's one of the best defensemen in the league (whether he plays dirty or not). They make a mistake, they lose a game, whatever, they turn around and use it as motivation so far as we the fans can see.

Why do I feel that all this negative criticism against Vanek will sink into him making him better. Let's face it the guy has talent but it's his work ethic that u have to question. I still feel he signs with the Wild and I just have this strange feeling he's going to have a big year. His Family being there and his best buddy Pom's.

Why do I feel that all this negative criticism against Vanek will sink into him making him better. Let's face it the guy has talent but it's his work ethic that u have to question. I still feel he signs with the Wild and I just have this strange feeling he's going to have a big year. His Family being there and his best buddy Pom's.

Thomas Vanek is Thomas Vanek. He's not reinventing himself.

Austrian+a grimace+a certain body language=lazy. I always give professional athletes the benefit of the doubt. I don't think people prone to laziness make it that far. It's the easy answer to grasp for.

Do you think this was Therrien's analysis?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.