OT - Health Care workers

cdexchange

I've been thinking for a while about starting an OT thread to see if there are any other board members here who work in a health care related field. Not sure if there will be enough interest or not. Aside from Woody our resident MD, are there any other docs, PAs, NPs, RNs, LPNs, CNAs, PTs, imaging folks, dental, etc here? I recently read that 1 in 8 Americans work in health care, so surely there must be.

Would be interesting to hear about different specialties, what you love and hate about your particular field, any interesting stories of patient interaction both good and bad, how the ACA has impacted your job...anything at all really.

I'm starting PA school next year and I can't wait. Would love any advice from others who have already been down that road. I'm 45 so this will be a second career for me, and I have not previously worked in health care (although I've been a direct patient care volunteer at Hospice for the last year to get some experience). I've also done some PA shadowing and I hope to do some more before school starts.

Well, I'm not sure how many people are actually here during the offseason, so this will probably go nowhere, but so be it. B-)

My wife and I were talking about it yesterday, and decided that Health Care works are amazing since there's no way either of us could do it.

Yeah my wife is an RN at Roswell Park, so I know what you mean. She both loves and hates her job, if that makes sense. She almost didn't survive the first three years, since it was so emotionally draining. She would come home literally in tears sometimes before she truly learned to compartmentalize her emotions. It's a fine line they have to walk between genuinely caring for patients while at the same time avoiding emotional attachments. I doubt most people could do what she does.

I've been thinking for a while about starting an OT thread to see if there are any other board members here who work in a health care related field. Not sure if there will be enough interest or not. Aside from Woody our resident MD, are there any other docs, PAs, NPs, RNs, LPNs, CNAs, PTs, imaging folks, dental, etc here? I recently read that 1 in 8 Americans work in health care, so surely there must be.

Would be interesting to hear about different specialties, what you love and hate about your particular field, any interesting stories of patient interaction both good and bad, how the ACA has impacted your job...anything at all really.

I'm starting PA school next year and I can't wait. Would love any advice from others who have already been down that road. I'm 45 so this will be a second career for me, and I have not previously worked in health care (although I've been a direct patient care volunteer at Hospice for the last year to get some experience). I've also done some PA shadowing and I hope to do some more before school starts.

Well, I'm not sure how many people are actually here during the offseason, so this will probably go nowhere, but so be it. B-)

CD you made a great choice in careers by being a PA. I am a Doc myself but I took an unique career path to get there. I have worked as a PCA, RN and as a NP as well. As far as a career path keep all your mind open until you have had a chance to complete your clinical rotations. Keep plugging away as well, there are times when you will reach your breaking point but it is worth it in the end. Good luck and congrats!

I self medicate. Does that count?

Only if you self diagnose as well weave.... :flirt:

Yeah my wife is an RN at Roswell Park, so I know what you mean. She both loves and hates her job, if that makes sense. She almost didn't survive the first three years, since it was so emotionally draining. She would come home literally in tears sometimes before she truly learned to compartmentalize her emotions. It's a fine line they have to walk between genuinely caring for patients while at the same time avoiding emotional attachments. I doubt most people could do what she does.

I know we talked about Roswell before...and I'm 99% sure she wasn't my nurse, but I appreciate so much how supportive the staff can be. When I went in for my surgery, I just went into pure fun mode. No need to be gloomy....and the crew working on me went along for the ride. They made the mistake of giving me an epidural so I was awake and could commentate on the whole thing. I can't remember the nurse who was so kind, but I make it a point to treat every nurse as if they were the one to make it such an easy journey....

Let's see... I was only 17 when I took the Erie County EMT course (in 1974) and worked briefly for an ambulance company. My degree is in laboratory medicine and I worked in a hospital lab and later at a commercial lab. Then I got a position as a clinical data manager for a cooperative research group, first involved with cancer research and later with HIV/AIDS research. I am now a technical support person for a cooperative cancer research group (web support, etc.) Even though my day-to-day no longer involves direct (or indirect) patient care, I still have to use my knowledge of health care often. Our office is on the Roswell campus, so we do see patients as they come in to the hospital for treatment. (In my stint with the previous cancer group, our office was located in a suburban business park. I can't tell you how much more satisfying it is when you are so close to the patients receiving treatment. It reminds us every day the reason why we are doing our job.)

Just as BRAWNDO stated, I also took a path that was quite long to get to where I'm at, including PA courses.... It's a great field that requires some hard work and dedication, some days it can be tough to get through a heavy patient load, and being in medicine can also make a happy man very cynical quickly, so always make sure to try and do whatever you can to keep your spirits up. It can be very rewarding as a profession. Good luck and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask for help or guidance!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.