World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

I still want the Netherlands to win it all, Idk why and have no ties at all to the team, nor do I follow soccer all too closely.... But from what I've seen of the world cup so far they seem like the strongest offensive team.

Also what the hell constitutes a yellow card vs no card..... I don't know the exact wording but it seems very very inconsistent.... Makes the NHL look good.

I have no dog in the fight, but still think that the refs gave the Dutch that last game. I'm rooting for Costa Rica. They're not playing a great game today and they need one.

I see that the game is still scoreless right now, sucks I'm driving back to buffalo now from NYC, sometimes 0-0 games can be exciting

Not this one. All Dutch..

And then the Dutch almost won it in stoppage. Crazy that did not go in.

Edited by wjag

Guest Sloth

Would've stunk if the Netherlands lost in a shootout. They controlled the game. Hit two crossbars and one post. Argentina had to be pulling for Costa Rica. Would've been a cake walk into the final. The final four is stacked! Pulling for a Germany/Netherlands final. A european country has never won a World Cup in south america.

I just hate shootouts deciding elimination games. And thanes, did you watch between 45 and 75 minutes? Costa Rica owned that half hour.

while I enjoy watching them, I agree and don't think that should be the deciding factor.... It's some skill with a lot of luck, basically the goalie needs to guess and the Nets are so big that the shooter just needs to not screw up. All other tournaments let's the teams play it out (that I'm aware of) at some point a sudden death extra time needs to be implemented, fatigue will set in and one team will net one.

Guest Sloth

I just hate shootouts deciding elimination games. And thanes, did you watch between 45 and 75 minutes? Costa Rica owned that half hour.

Not going to disagree w/ that. The Netherlands were outplayed for a bit, but they had control most of the game. Costa Rica was outshot 15 to 3 and their possession was only 36% . Few felt Costa Rica would go as far as they did. Believe they were given a 4,000 to 1 chance to make semi-finals. To take the Netherlands to a shootout in the quarter-finals is impressive. Had Costa Rica won they would've been the 1st CONCACAF team to make the semi's since 1930. Too bad it all came down to a shootout. Glad the Netherlands won though. Sets up a fun semi-final to watch.

Let me add I enjoyed watching the Costa Rica/Netherlands game. No scoring, but it had a lot of excitement.

Edited by thanes16

Let me add I enjoyed watching the Costa Rica/Netherlands game. No scoring, but it had a lot of excitement.

I disagree. In fact, it looked like way too many of the games. One side seemed to dominate the other in many games. If you were routing for the Dutch, maybe. But all these games seemed lopsided and not that exciting.

Guest Sloth

I disagree. In fact, it looked like way too many of the games. One side seemed to dominate the other in many games. If you were routing for the Dutch, maybe. But all these games seemed lopsided and not that exciting.

As I said above, the Netherlands had control most of the game. It's was still a fun game to watch though. The Netherlands couldn't buy a goal. They had a number of quality scoring chances. Costa Rica did anything and everything to keep the ball out of the net. Seeing a defenseman blocking a shot on the goal line is exciting stuff. What are the odds of hitting a post and a cross bar twice in soccer?! Total shots are beyond low when compared to hockey. It was definitely worth watching. It didn't matter what team a person was pulling for. This game had plenty of energy. Not all games have that.

Edited by thanes16

Stick to hockey predictions. :D

I was surprised that Belgium couldn't generate more offense against Argentina. Belgium has the talent, but they lack the creativity in the offensive third that separates the good sides from the great sides. Young team. Belgium should be even stronger in 4 years.

uggh I got a hangover :D

That being said, we let Argentina smother us, we didn't create any chances, neither did they, but they were in the driver seat going up 1-0 after 7 minutes.

We didn't play our game and showed to much respect.

Better team won i guess, rooting for the dutch now because the other 3 teams showed even less during this world cup.

And in 4 years, we got alot of good young players coming up, you'll be surprised how many of the current theam will be out.

They should have played like it was their last shot at a world cup.

Classic teams in the semi finals though :(

Edited by Heimdall

I know Robben isn't the most popular player given his theatrics, but in all the games I've watched, I haven't seen anyone pressure the defensive zone consistently like he does. Seems to constantly be in attack mode and always seems to make the defender expend a lot of energy. Now I know jack about "futbol", but to my untrained eye, he's been the best player in the tourney.

And I agree entirely with the idea of sudden death vs. penalty kicks. Let the game decide the outcome, not a skills competition. BTW, saw a 'Sports Science' feature about goalies and penalty kicks. Seems that is actually harder than hitting major league pitching and is the new hardest thing to do in sports.

And get rid of the offside rule.

All it is, is a moving blue line. It's pretty necessary for the game.

I agree. But once the puck(ball) clears the blue line, the rule is suspended. I think it would cause some new creativity in the box if the wings could crash the net as soon as the ball entered the penalty area.

But any major adjustment to the rules of association football would almost immediately remove Europe and south America's development and coaching advantage. I don't see a change until the MLS becomes a more profitable league.

I agree. But once the puck(ball) clears the blue line, the rule is suspended. I think it would cause some new creativity in the box if the wings could crash the net as soon as the ball entered the penalty area.

But any major adjustment to the rules of association football would almost immediately remove Europe and south America's development and coaching advantage. I don't see a change until the MLS becomes a more profitable league.

What development and coaching advantage ? lol

The only advantage we got is that football is #1 sport for us, while its only #10 for you guys.

If they are going to insist on PK, at least move the shooter back and allow the goalie to come off the line.

Not a bad idea at all. Or do it hockey style and have the guy dribble in from the circle (with the goalkeeper free to move). Possibly require the shooter to shoot by a certain point on the field.

What if they kept the off sides rule, but suspended it once the ball was in the box?

I can see this being interesting, my cousin and I have talked about this being something that could stop some very difficult calls and really if the ball is in the 18 yard box…….But I guess players could impede the goalie and defenders

Edited by DR HOLLIDAY