World Cup 2014

Sabres Fan in NS

I've only been watching since about 75 minutes, and I've spent a lot of time with my eyes on this screen rather than the TV, so I don't get the reference--what happened?

Long ball kicked from midfield towards the box, Joe & Chilean goalie racing for it. Ball took big bounce and as Joe tried to get a boot on it put his cleats right into the goalie's upper chest. Announcers thought play was good; looked dangerous to me. In the end, no serious harm.

Long ball kicked from midfield towards the box, Joe & Chilean goalie racing for it. Ball took big bounce and as Joe tried to get a boot on it put his cleats right into the goalie's upper chest. Announcers thought play was good; looked dangerous to me. In the end, no serious harm.

Got it.

Looks like we're headed to PKs, although Brazil is turning it on here at the end.

Chile off the crossbar! Wow.

Got it.

Looks like we're headed to PKs, although Brazil is turning it on here at the end.

And Brazil comes right back to get a corner in extra-extra time.

Holy cow, does anybody want to play d now?

Guest Sloth

Got it.

I lost sight of the ball for a second. That would've been so awesome if it went in. Having a game decided by PK's stinks. :thumbdown:

and now one of the reasons soccer struggles to be popular in the US. Play for 122m and send the game to penalty kicks to decide a winner.

Edited by wjag

Guest Sloth

Pulling for the CONCACAF today. U.S. always gets slammed w/ the you guys have an easy walk into the World Cup. I'll admit the CONCACAF isn't the most difficult, but it's still world class soccer. Didn't 4 CONCACAF teams make the Round of 16? And the U.S. managed to pull it off in the group of death.

And did any of you here what Keith Olberman had to say about soccer? What an extreme liberal prick.

Edited by thanes16

Pulling for the CONCACAF today. U.S. always gets slammed w/ the you guys have an easy walk into the World Cup. I'll admit the CONCACAF isn't the most difficult, but it's still world class soccer. Didn't 4 CONCACAF teams make the Round of 16? And the U.S. managed to pull it off in the group of death.

And did any of you here what Keith Olberman had to say about soccer? What an extreme liberal prick.

I roll my eyes every time I read or hear that stuff about CONCACAF. Yeah, we don't have to overcome stalwarts like the Faeroe Islands or Northern Ireland, you know? Realistically (and I know this year was different), there's one and a half spots for the entire subcontinent, because USA and Mexico are just about guaranteed.

Guest Sloth

Take a look at the UEFA. W/ the way the groups are set up in the UEFA it's not too difficult for the regulars to make the World Cup. England's group was nothing to brag about. I'm not saying the CONCACAF is on par w/ the UEFA, but if one is going to put the CONCACAF down, they should look at how things are set up in the UEFA before they do it. And I'm not making reference to you, Eleven.

Edited by thanes16

Take a look at the UEFA. W/ the way the groups are set up in the UEFA it's not too difficult for the regulars to make the World Cup. England's group was nothing to brag about. I'm not saying the CONCACAF is on par w/ the UEFA, but if one is going to put the CONCACAF down, they should look at how things are set up in the UEFA before they do it. And I'm not making reference to you, Eleven.

No, I understand. We're in complete agreement. England had to get by San Marino, Moldova, and Montenegro. It was tough!

Edited by Eleven

This Mexico-Netherlands announcer sure gets into calling soccer. You have to believe he thinks this game is exciting.

holds it, Holds It, HOLDS IT!!!!!

Quite a different game right now from the first half.

Mexico holding on for dear life. I guess if anyone knows something about Alamo-mode, it out to be the Mexicans. This might be closer to the Battle of Big Horn though,

Edited by wjag

Mexico holding on for dear life. I guess if anyone knows something about Alamo-mode, it out to be the Mexicans. This might be closer to the Battle of Big Horn though,

This is just so opposite from what I saw in the first have that I am wondering if the field is tilted.