Sign in to follow this  
PASabreFan

Advice on skating and playing hockey

On 9/2/2020 at 10:11 PM, Taro T said:

1st time bavk on the ice must've been a strange feeling.  Were you wearing goalie skates or "real" skates?

How long do you have to avoid "injury risk" situations?  (Is that a forever thing or just a temporary need the ligaments & tendons to get stronger thing?)  Here in Ra-cha-cha, there are a few "learn to skate" programs that spend about 1/2 the session in drills & then in a pickup game in the area and also over 40 & over 50 leagues.  Would expect there'd be something like those in NH.  And if not, IIRC you aren't too far from Bah-stan there.  An evening drive & there would have to be a bunch of options available, one would expect.

I had two Conformis knees installed. They call it a total knee replacement but really it's only the cartilage surfaces get ground down and covered with a 3D-printed prosthetic, plus a plastic meniscus.  The rest of the knee is intact: patella, ligaments, etc. You can be walking pretty quickly but doing anything stressful might take a year for things to feel right. One knee is 15 months and the other is 9. The 9-month knee still gets twinges if I make a false move.

Obviously I can't take a shot off the knee but my shin guards protect me well. Goaltending is out of the question with the up-and-down. Covid has reduced the number of leagues around here. Most are C/D level. Still too much for me to risk. I did find one novice/beginner league near Boston, about 45 minutes drive from me. Still deciding.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hilarious game last night. We were up 5-1 and lost 10-9 in a shootout. I was on the ice for every goal we scored and only 1 that they scored. I've got legit advanced stats. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ubkev said:

Hilarious game last night. We were up 5-1 and lost 10-9 in a shootout. I was on the ice for every goal we scored and only 1 that they scored. I've got legit advanced stats. 

Yeah, but how was your Corsi?

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, but how was your Corsi?

Great! Our line matching appears to be terrible though.