Unbelievable fight with classic ending.

Claude Balls

I haven't really posted all season as I'm just not into it for obvious reasons, but I have been lurking from time to time. Saw this video and thought I'd share it. Talk about sportsmanship. Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere.

http://youtu.be/S_Z4qd7m1BY

That ending is why fighting should be banned. That fight served no purpose. It was literally just a spectacle that interrupted the game. Nothing came of that fight, the fighters congratulated the way the other person fought. I can not even fathom the point of it

That fight served no purpose as far as we can tell, because we can't see what precipitated it. And there are staged fights, and they are silly. But until the NHL gets serious about policing the game the right way (and there is no indication that this will happen before the Sun goes all supernova), fighting will be necessary to protect players.

These types of fights should be stopped when they get going. I love fighting and want it kept in the NHL, but if they're going to talk about preventing head injuries then fights where guys are just throwing punches straight to the temples can't happen.

This is obviously prevented mainly by the new helmet rule.

That fight served no purpose as far as we can tell, because we can't see what precipitated it. And there are staged fights, and they are silly. But until the NHL gets serious about policing the game the right way (and there is no indication that this will happen before the Sun goes all supernova), fighting will be necessary to protect players.

If an event precipitated it then it is even more useless. Lucic runs Miller, Goose fights Lucic immediately. They both swap blows. Goose and Lucic high five and hug...really sent a message there.

Player A runs player B. Player B takes exception to that challenges player A. They swap blows. Both players high five and hug....really sent a message there

There is no situation where this makes sense, bar it being a staged fight. Staged fights suck. Don't get me wrong I love fights that occur from emotions bubbling over or someone facing up against their rule bending. But I would rather watch hockey than two men on skates hold each other and wrestle

If fighting wanted to allow staged fights between women in lingerie, I could change my stance. It would serve no purpose still, but I would enjoy it more. If something is going to be a spectacle, you might as well go all out

That ending is why fighting should be banned. That fight served no purpose. It was literally just a spectacle that interrupted the game. Nothing came of that fight, the fighters congratulated the way the other person fought. I can not even fathom the point of it

I'm surprised how quickly the thread went this route. I thought I would be one of few who thought this way. Anyway, I agree with you completely. I don't understand why two guys who apparently have a lot of respect for each other would ever do that to each other when it clearly wasn't a heat of the moment type situation. If it was just emotions getting the best of them, they wouldn't have embraced at the end. It's just plain stupid.

I'm surprised how quickly the thread went this route. I thought I would be one of few who thought this way. Anyway, I agree with you completely. I don't understand why two guys who apparently have a lot of respect for each other would ever do that to each other when it clearly wasn't a heat of the moment type situation. If it was just emotions getting the best of them, they wouldn't have embraced at the end. It's just plain stupid.

Unless you know the both of them and can assess their temperment, I'm sot so sure you're qualified to say that.

Have you never seen, on ice or off, any instances where two guys who were pretty PO'd at each other but after scrapping for a bit reached a place where their anger was exhausted and replaced with mutual respect? Really?

Unless you know the both of them and can assess their temperment, I'm sot so sure you're qualified to say that.

Have you never seen, on ice or off, any instances where two guys who were pretty PO'd at each other but after scrapping for a bit reached a place where their anger was exhausted and replaced with mutual respect? Really?

That doesn't start with the 10-15 seconds (plus any time not included in the video) of that fight where the two squared up a good 6 or so feet from each other. There's also the unseen removing of the helmets. If it's heat of the moment, generally you don't take all of that time to prepare yourself, you just launch into the confrontation.

So yes, really.

I disagree...

The end of this fight doesn't show why those fights should be banned.

I am pretty sure both didnt go into the fight thinking well at the end we gonna high5 and everything is ok. It was a long an tough fight and over this fight both realised ...man that dude has balls... It was a spontaneous reaction nothing planed.

I disagree...

The end of this fight doesn't show why those fights should be banned.

I am pretty sure both didnt go into the fight thinking well at the end we gonna high5 and everything is ok. It was a long an tough fight and over this fight both realised ...man that dude has balls... It was a spontaneous reaction nothing planed.

Absolutely. A warrior appreciating a warrior. At the end of many classic boxing matches the competitors have a total hugfest.

just please take this garbage out of hockey. and while you're at it, lengthy suspension for head shots and boarding, make the ice bigger and the goal wider and taller. it would be freaking showtime and you would see the sport take off.

I'd rather watch indoor soccer than hockey with little to no physicality. That is a non-stop, fast paced game, and the close quarters make it much more physical than regular soccer. I really enjoyed when Buffalo had a team.

Weird. I never see hockey players spontaneously congratulate the opposition after a hard fought game. But apparently boxers are known to (citing Drain - I have my doubts about this). Wonder which sport these guys should be doing?

I am just hoping for the day when two players are racing for the puck and the forward gets there first and scores. Then I hope the defeceman hugs him, thus showing appreciation for the hard won skating race

Weird. I never see hockey players spontaneously congratulate the opposition after a hard fought game. But apparently boxers are known to (citing Drain - I have my doubts about this). Wonder which sport these guys should be doing?

I am just hoping for the day when two players are racing for the puck and the forward gets there first and scores. Then I hope the defeceman hugs him, thus showing appreciation for the hard won skating race

That's the thing... Tim Connolly, and Derek Roy...and Cody Hodgson..race for the puck and try to score a goal hundreds of times a season.....

I don't know....how many fights have they been in, in their lives???........

I'd rather watch indoor soccer than hockey with little to no physicality. That is a non-stop, fast paced game, and the close quarters make it much more physical than regular soccer. I really enjoyed when Buffalo had a team.

who the hell is asking for htat? i just want fights gone and the another two things are already illegal. plus the players have outgrown the playing area and that needs to be addressed. and soccer sucks!

You do see this regularly at the end of (American) football games. Usually in the "kneel down" part of the games, the line-men who have been beating on each other for the last few hours will shake hands and whatnot.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.