Tankless Thread - What's the best roster we could conceivably ice next season

LastPommerFan

Nolan just said goaltending was "90% of the game" and Enroth is suddenly the best goaltender in the world, so we're basically contenders already before we make any trades or sign anyone.

That was fast.

fun-once-grumpy.jpg

Edited by sizzlemeister

Trades, draft, FA. What would trying look like?

Is the best we could do 9th?

Could we make the playoffs?

There are still a ton of holes to fill.

Call me crazy, but i think they will be worse next year then this year. I think losing is contagious and it will have an effect on some players. I also believe players who finish strong this season, Ehrhoff and Stewert for example, could be dealt at the draft

I'm not a mind reader but i think i see what Murray's vision is. Build a Calder Cup contender next year for Rochester, and tank to get a top-2 pick. 2015/16 line combinations thread will be a very interesting thread when the time comes.

Edited by Loyalty

Call me crazy, but i think they will be worse next year then this year. I think losing is contagious and it will have an effect on some players. I also believe players who finish strong this season, Ehrhoff and Stewert for example, could be dealt at the draft

I'm not a mind reader but i think i see what Murray's vision is. Build a Calder Cup contender next year for Rochester, and tank to get a top-2 pick. 2015/16 line combinations thread will be a very interesting thread when the time comes.

I'd be surprised if that thread doesn't already exist on here.

Since losing is contagious and losing cultures are like a cancer, I don't want to lose. I never want to lose.

Win as much as we can no matter what.

I'm with you, I just can't ever imagine myself wanting a team I root for to lose.

You must enjoy mediocrity.

Is there some guarantee that says if you lose 2-3 years in a row you will suddenly become a winner ? Draft picks and prospects are fine, if they turn out, but you need veterans and proven NHL'ers on the roster and losing badly for a couple of years, is not going to attract many good ones. Also no matter how good Connor McDavid may be, one player does not make a team. I can't see a team of 18-22 year olds being very successful in the NHL without some quality experienced players.

One more year of tanking is all that it will take. The best chance to turn the franchise around and be good long term is to get as many high draft picks as possible and build with them. Then add some good young players and you are ready to get to the playoffs and contend. It is not about contending for the 8th playoff spot next year, it is about contending for the stanley cup for 5-10 years. Tanking for two years through roster manipulation is the best way to do that. We've already seen what happens when you build to make the playoffs without high draft picks, that is why we are in the mess we are in.

Trades, draft, FA. What would trying look like?

Is the best we could do 9th?

Could we make the playoffs?

There are still a ton of holes to fill.

No to 9th and No to the playoffs.

They just completed stripping down the roster. The step is cashing in on all those assets they have accumulated.

I'm with you, I just can't ever imagine myself wanting a team I root for to lose.

Is there some guarantee that says if you lose 2-3 years in a row you will suddenly become a winner ? Draft picks and prospects are fine, if they turn out, but you need veterans and proven NHL'ers on the roster and losing badly for a couple of years, is not going to attract many good ones. Also no matter how good Connor McDavid may be, one player does not make a team. I can't see a team of 18-22 year olds being very successful in the NHL without some quality experienced players.

The 2009 Penguins and the 2010 Blackhawks might beg to differ.

The 2009 Penguins and the 2010 Blackhawks might beg to differ.

The Penguins were bad for 4 seasons before their turnaround and the Blackhawks missed the playoffs 9 years out of 11 before their turnaround. The idea that their turn arounds were quick is just not true.

So much for the OP's desire to talk about the best roster the Sabres might ice.

Is it reasonable to think the Sabres can re-sign Moulson? Buffalo is now woefully short of scoring wingers, as in they have none. Is Armia going to be anywhere near ready for next season?

Moulson Ennis Stewart

Foligno Hodgson Armia

Girgensons Reinhart Stafford

Flynn Konopka DiAgostini

Ehrhoff Pysyk

Myers Weber

Risto Tallinder

Not awe inspiring for sure. And depends on a scoring LW showing up in the offseason.

Is it reasonable to think the Sabres can re-sign Moulson? Buffalo is now woefully short of scoring wingers, as in they have none. Is Armia going to be anywhere near ready for next season?

Moulson Ennis Stewart

Foligno Hodgson Armia

Flynn Konopka DiAgostini

Ehrhoff Pysyk

Myers Weber

Risto Tallinder

Not awe inspiring for sure. And depends on a scoring LW showing up in the offseason.

Thank you.

The 6D there actually has some potential. Especially the way 57 is playing right now. Maybe he finally gets it.

Grigorenko is still interesting, although I put him somewhere below 50/50 odds of impacting the NHL roster next year.

Kaleta is still on the payroll next year, so he's an option, maybe they give him a chance to show his rehab has changed him.

Larrson is playing well with the Amerks. He's another option for next year.

I just don't see 200 goals without a huge FA wing singing.

Moulson Ennis Stewart

Foligno Hodgson Armia

Flynn Konopka DiAgostini

Ehrhoff Pysyk

Myers Weber

Risto Tallinder

Reports out of ROC, namely from Matthew Coller, who covers the Amerks for WGR, are that Armia will need at least one more year in the AHL

Moulson is a possibly, depending on what the FA Market dictates.

Kaleta with Nolan's Coaching should be interesting .

Moulson Ennis Stewart

Foligno Hodgson Armia

Flynn Konopka DiAgostini

Ehrhoff Pysyk

Myers Weber

Risto Tallinder

Not bad but how do they get to cap floor?

Edited by Sherman

Thank you.

The 6D there actually has some potential. Especially the way 57 is playing right now. Maybe he finally gets it.

Grigorenko is still interesting, although I put him somewhere below 50/50 odds of impacting the NHL roster next year.

Kaleta is still on the payroll next year, so he's an option, maybe they give him a chance to show his rehab has changed him.

Larrson is playing well with the Amerks. He's another option for next year.

I just don't see 200 goals without a huge FA wing singing.

I forgot about Larsson.

And yeah, still need $$'s. I think TM is going to have alot of work to do to get us to the floor.

I forgot about Larsson.

And yeah, still need $$'s. I think TM is going to have alot of work to do to get us to the floor.

One possibility is to be a pass-through destination for a 3 way trade. all three of our retained salary slots clear up next year, so we could take a part of a player salary who never played for us in a three way deal, and reap draft/prospect rewards in the process.

I also think Leino has a zero chance of getting bought out. He's on a roster in Buff or Roc.

One possibility is to be a pass-through destination for a 3 way trade. all three of our retained salary slots clear up next year, so we could take a part of a player salary who never played for us in a three way deal, and reap draft/prospect rewards in the process.

I also think Leino has a zero chance of getting bought out. He's on a roster in Buff or Roc.

Overpay for Ott or Moulson, and take a run at Brooks Orpik. It won't help the tank but we're not going to finish at the bottom anyway.

EDIT: Just looking at CapGeek, there are a lot of guys age 35+ that we could overpay with 2-3 year contracts to hit this floor. Probably better than having the young players learn from AHL vets.

Edited by Robviously

Best case scenarios, eh?

Callahan/Ennis/Moulson

Stewart/Hodgson/Reinhart

Stafford/Girgensons/Foligno

Kaleta/Larsson/Mitchell

Ehrhoff/Pysyk

Myers/Orpik

Weber/Risto

Enroth

Neuwirth

And yes, if Ethron arrives, it could challenge for a playoff spot

Edited by dudacek

Even if I don't agree with trying to be competitive next year, I'll play along.

FA Moves:

Re-sign Moulson

Sign a FA center - Option 1:Stastny, 2:Grabovski 3:Jokinen

Sign a FA RW - Option 1:Vrbata Option 2: Hemsky

Moulson Stastny Vrbata

Ennis Hodgson Stafford

Grigensons Reinhart Stewart

Foligno Konopka Flynn

Ehrhoff Pysyk

Myers Weber

Risto Tallinder

That might give us enough scoring to squeak into the 8th spot. Maybe. It would definitely get us to the cap floor.

A cursory look at the UFAs suggest to me that the Sabres could, if they signed the right guys, ice a relatively competitive team. I know the team and lots of fans are looking at the 2015 draft, but, is there some mandate to ice the best team they can? I wonder if the Sabres tanked another season, if other teams would complain that it was intentional (especially since not only had Black said that, but the organization all season has said as such, even though the main voice of that, Regier, is gone).

Best case scenarios, eh?

Callahan/Ennis/Moulson

Stewart/Hodgson/Reinhart

Stafford/Girgensons/Foligno

Kaleta/Larsson/Mitchell

Ehrhoff/Pysyk

Myers/Orpik

Weber/Risto

Enroth

Neuwirth

And yes, if Ethron arrives, it could challenge for a playoff spot

Sign me up!

I would be legitimately excited going into October to watch that team.

FWIW, I'd hazard a guess that TM likes Moulson and Callahan but isn't interested in Stastny (although I'd sure be interested in Stastny).

I also wouldn't be surprised if TM takes a shot at signing Ott.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.