GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 1-23-14 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

logo.png

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

160072414_slide.jpg

GAME #50: CAR (21-19-9) at BUF (13-28-7) – JAN 23 – 7:00 PM EST – MSG-B, BELL TVWGR-550

BUFFALO SABRES BuffaloSabresSmiley-1.png

Final Lineup

26 Matt Moulson – 63 Tyler Ennis – 21 Drew Stafford

9 Steve Ott ("C") – 19 Cody Hodgson – 28 Zemgus Girgensons

82 Marcus Foligno – 84 Phil Varone – 65 Brian Flynn

37 Matt Ellis – 24 Zenon Konopka – 23 Ville Leino

X: 17 Linus Omark (healthy), 32 John Scott (healthy)

20 Henrik Tallinder ("A") – 57 Tyler Myers

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 52 Alexander Sulzer

6 Mike Weber – 4 Jamie McBain

X: 3 Mark Pysyk (undisclosed)

1 Jhonas Enroth

30 Ryan Miller

Lineup News & Notes

D Alexander Sulzer, D Mark Pysyk, and F Zenon Konopka were scratches in Tuesday's 4-3 loss vs Florida.

F Cody McCormick (UBI) and F Matt D'Agostini (UBI) are on IR.

Weekly Transactions

01/21: Placed F Matt D'Agostini on IR; Activated Henrik Tallinder from IR.

01/22: Assigned F Kevin Porter and D Brayden McNabb to Rochester; Recalled F Phil Varone from Rochester

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, Buffalo has gone 3-4-3.

Drew Stafford has three goals and one assist in his past two games.

Tyler Ennis has two goals and four assists during a five-game point streak.

CAROLINA HURRICANES CarolinaHurricanesSmiley.png

Final Lineup

19 Jiri Tlusty – 12 Eric Staal ("C") – 28 Alexander Semin

53 Jeff Skinner – 11 Jordan Staal ("A") – 16 Elias Lindholm

14 Nathan Gerbe – 22 Manny Malhotra ("A") – 15 Tuomo Ruutu

21 Drayson Bowman – 20 Riley Nash – 18 Radek Dvorak

X: 39 Patrick Dwyer (undisclosed)

4 Andrej Sekera – 27 Justin Faulk

65 Ron Hainsey – 26 John-Michael Liles

5 Mike Komisarek – 44 Jay Harrison

X: 73 Brett Bellemore (healthy), 7 Ryan Murphy (healthy)

31 Anton Khudobin

35 Justin Peters

Lineup News & Notes

Carolina scratched F Drayson Bowman, D Brett Bellemore, and D Ryan Murphy in Wednesday's 3-2 win at Philadelphia.

F Joni Pitkanen (heel) and G Cam ward (LBI) are on IR.

Weekly Transactions

None

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 Games, Carolina has gone 7-3.

F Alexander Semin has four goals in his past three games.

F Eric Staal has one goal and four assists during a three-game point streak.

PREGAME LINKS

01/21 – GAME RECAP: STAFFORD SCORES TWICE IN LOSS TO PANTHERS (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/22 – GAME RECAP: Tlusty's goal lifts Hurricanes past Flyers (NHL.com)

01/22 – GAME PREVIEW: Hurricanes continue hectic week by facing Sabres (Brian Hunter – NHL.com)

01/22 – BEYOND THE BOARDS: GOALS COMING, SABRES WORK ON TIGHTENING UP DEFENSE (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/22 – Nolan doesn’t believe he’s softened, still likes aggressive hockey (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01/22 – Drew Stafford feeling good about game, grateful for Nolan's opportunities (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01/22 – Game Preview: 1/23/14 vs Carolina Hurricanes (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/22 – SABRES RECALL FORWARD PHIL VARONE (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/22 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Wednesday's practice at First Niagara Center. <6:49>

01/22 – Dan Dunleavy recaps Wednesday's practice at First Niagara Center. <1:45>

01/23 – WGR: Steve Ott's weekly segment on the Howard Simon Show <16:22>

01/23 – Sabres vs Hurricanes Game Notes PDF (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/23 – Press Clips: 1/23/14 vs Carolina Hurricanes (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

01/23 – Sabres rookie Phil Varone set for NHL debut, emotional over first recall (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

01/23 – THE MORNING SKATE: VARONE TO MAKE NHL DEBUT (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/23 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at First Niagara Center. <5:25>

01/23 – Dan Dunleavy previews Thursday night's game against the Hurricanes at First Niagara Center. <3:01>

01/23 – Marcus Foligno speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at First Niagara Center. <1:38>

01/23 – Alexander Sulzer speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at First Niagara Center. <1:26>

01/23 – Phil Varone speaks with the media following Thursday's morning skate at First Niagara Center. <4:02>

01/23 – Teppo Numminen speaks with Sabres.com prior to Thursday night's game against the Hurricanes. <1:23>

POSTGAME LINKS

01/23 – POST-GAME NEWSLETTER: Carolina Hurricanes @ Buffalo Sabres (NHL.com)

01/23 – Post-Game Report: 1/23 vs. CAR (Ian Ott – Sabres.com)

01/23 – GAME RECAP: SABRES UNABLE TO WEATHER CAROLINA RALLY (Chris Ryndak – Sabres.com)

01/23 – Dan Dunleavy recaps the Sabres 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes. <2:47>

01/23 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes. <1:11>

01/23 – Steve Ott speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes. <1:43>

01/23 – Tyler Ennis speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes. <1:13>

01/23 – Phil Varone speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-3 loss to the Hurricanes. <2:45>

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I went to the Canes-Lightning game on Sunday and the Canes looked pretty bad giving up 4 goals on the first 14 shots. Gerbe got benched for a large portion of the 1st/2nd periods after going -2 early.

Had a discussion with a Canes fan friend at the game on the proper pronunciation of 'Sekera'. To me the PA guy and voice of the Canes on the radio were not pronouncing it the same as I heard in Buffalo with RJ etc. The Canes guys were saying "Sec-er-uh". As opposed to the Buffalo/RJ pronunciation..

So I found this on the canes website. Reggie says his name, then a Canes rep does his best representation of what the player said, then Reggie says it again. To me it sounds like the Buffalo pronunciation is closer.

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/pronunciation/sekera.mp3

I hope Leino sits for Varone, but I'm thinking it might be Brian Flynn's time.

That bone headed D zone pass attempt to Weber might be reason enough for Flynn to have a seat. Not to mention his line with Foligno and Girgensons was a non factor against Florida. Leino's in the lineup most likely as he practiced on the 2nd line yesterday as the RW.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

When your RWs consist of Drew Stafford on your top line and Ville Leino as the second liner, it's a wonder why this team is bottom of the league in scoring and record/points. That would be my first rebuilding priority, some GD right wingers...

Jake Virtanen, Alex Tuch, Kasperi Kapanen, Conner Bleackley

I just have to add this on

"Tuch was an immediate standout in Syracuse youth hockey, and also enjoyed special tutelage from next-door-neighbor Tim Connolly, a long-time NHLer."

Edited by LGR4GM

He isn't. Have to wait for Nolan's presser later this morning.

@BillHoppeNHL

Looks like Jhonas Enroth starts tonight. #Sabres

well then let me revise my prediction, 3-1 Canes, Gerbe and Sekera with goals (along with an empty netter), Peters/Khudobin still looks shakey giving up one in the first then shuts the Sabres down

I don't recognize them all but I believe those are RW draft prospects. I'd also be looking to target some RW NHL prospects like Toffoli, just so I don't have to watch Stafford/Leino as 'top 6 RWs' next for the rest of this year

Fixed it

Although Nolan has been able to turn Stafford around right now so upgrade him on the top line and I'm not as worried with him continuing to perform like he has one the 2nd line.......

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.