GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 1-23-14 at 7:00 PM EST

26CornerBlitz

I can only do this for the 1 year obviously but if Compher continues his current ppg pace of 0.833 then he would finish a 39game season with 32.5pts. In a 43 game season he would have 35.8pts.

I can also compare the last year they spent on the USDP U-18 team.

Porter - 5g, 21a, 26pts

Compher - 18g, 32a, 50pts

So two players coming through the same system and playing at the same college. Looks as though Compher will be better than Porter. Of course that could change easily but just something to take a look at.

Well done.

To Freeman on the Sekera trade: I didn't like trading Sekera either but the price was high for picks in last year's very strong draft. Trading Sekera also balanced the D corp for the next couple of years. Even though there are scrub placeholders at this point, next year or perhaps the year after will have a healthy balance of puck movers and size. It was an admission of rebuilding, something that Darcy didn't do until the end. I saw it as a good soldier move, not a panic move.

Can't be a very big sample size there to make those type of judgments.

Granted, he improved his play along the boards last year so it may not be fair....but your heart is your heart. He was beyond a pussbag in that Flyer series.

I would have traded him all day. I actually give Darcy credit for this one.

Some players somehow can't or won't give all they have or can't fit into certain organizations but when they move to other organizations, they blossom. Maybe they enjoy it there away from B-lo ("the worst"). Maybe a new lifestyle is a breath of fresh air for them. Gerbe mentioned how their coaches and "Mr. Ron Francis" made it a point to show how much they believe in him. Don't know if it's our system, the surrounding players, the coaches, management, the staleness ...who knows? but it seems like when our players go somewhere else, especially lately, they generally do better.

Some players somehow can't or won't give all they have or can't fit into certain organizations but when they move to other organizations, they blossom. Maybe they enjoy it there away from B-lo ("the worst"). Maybe a new lifestyle is a breath of fresh air for them. Gerbe mentioned how their coaches and "Mr. Ron Francis" made it a point to show how much they believe in him. Don't know if it's our system, the surrounding players, the coaches, management, the staleness ...who knows? but it seems like when our players go somewhere else, especially lately, they generally do better.

Just for the record...Gerbe while better than his injury plagued last 2 years, is just under his 2010-11 pace with Sabres.

• 2 weeks later...

If the Sabres' D is so strong, why are guys like Sulzer, McBain and (to a lesser extent) Tallinder in the top 6?

The Sabres don't need another 3rd-line forward. They need real top-6 guys. If Compher becomes a 20-goal guy, it was a good trade, and worth the built-in discount the Sabres had to take by trading a guy who is good right now for a guy who might be good in 3-4 years or so.

Trading Sekera was actually un-Darcy-like in that he gave up on one of his young guys too soon. It was another panic move in a final year of his tenure that was full of them.

Was this post a joke,? I cant believe anyone would say the Sabres D is strong right now. Guys like Sulzer are here to keep the bed warm while Risto and the boys develop. Do you really see Sekera playing a role with this team in 2 years if he stayed?

TJ Compher projects to a 2nd or 3rd line player as per HockeyFuture.com for whatever that is worth.

I'll say good trade for Darcy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.