Worst team in Franchise History

papazoid

Here's hoping

They should have started this process last year but somehow actually got better after they sold off all their rentals. Tells you a lot about the team before the deadline. Now they just delayed the rebuild a season. I want 10 wins combined the next two seasons.

They haven't won a game yet. There's no way they could get worse, so the only two options we're left with are improvement or continued winlessness.

Better doesn't necessarily translate into wins. But executing a three on two would be nice. Scoring a few goals would nice. Offensive zone time would be nice.

Here's hoping

They should have started this process last year but somehow actually got better after they sold off all their rentals. Tells you a lot about the team before the deadline. Now they just delayed the rebuild a season. I want 10 wins combined the next two seasons.

THIS

Naw thy might get better. Keep Darcy on until McDavid. Then bye bye.

well, at least we both didn't need the Jim Beam to get us through tonights game :)

Do you really think we'll be the worst team back-to-back to score McDavid?

-no sarcasm, genuinely asking

Yes, I do. It's a matter of percentages and probabilities.

99.9% of me sees Darcy Regier at the helm as the GM next season.

Probability of finishing last again due to the above statement, 100%

Abso-freakin-lutely.

It'd be nice for a Buffalo team to do what's ironically necessary to win, lose out. Reinhart, Myers (if he pans out like he was supposed to) Zadorov, Enroth, Larsson, Girgensons, Grigs (assuming not a bust), Risto and Mcdavid, that sounds pretty sweet to me. (And Armia, keep forgetting about him)

It'd be nice for a Buffalo team to do what's ironically necessary to win, lose out. Reinhart, Myers (if he pans out like he was supposed to) Zadorov, Enroth, Larsson, Girgensons, Grigs (assuming not a bust), Risto and Mcdavid, that sounds pretty sweet to me. (And Armia, keep forgetting about him)

Sadly, I think it's more like that Myers will not pan out at this point.

I am firmly staying to believe that is the plan. No way a team could be put together this bad if it wasn't.

well, at least we both didn't need the Jim Beam to get us through tonights game :)

Yes, I do. It's a matter of percentages and probabilities.

99.9% of me sees Darcy Regier at the helm as the GM next season.

Probability of finishing last again due to the above statement, 100%

There are definitely plenty of examples of teams who have gotten back to back #1's in the draft:

Montreal: 68-69: Michael Plasse, Rejean Houle

Islanders: 71-71: Guy Lafleur, Billy Haris

Quebec: 89-91: Mats Sundin, Owen Nolan, Eric Lindros

Ottawa: 95-96: Bryan Berard, Chris Phillips

Oilers: 2010-2012: Hall, Hopkins, Yakupov

So it is definitely possible/do-able, I guess the only questions are

1) Is this team that bad

-They seem to be

2) Can they sustain it for next year

-If they continue to be this bad this year, they'll trade Miller and Vanek, so they'll be even worse

3) Are the number one picks good enough to win with

-I don't know the success of the teams listed above, as far as getting consecutive number one picks, and I can't judge the Oilers yet as it hasn't been that long

http://www.nhl.com/i...ge.htm?id=31886

Side question, I know Rolston was brought in initially because he was the coach of the Amerks, and kept on because he has done work in rookie development, but does anyone else suspect Darcy kept him on in part/also because he figured he'd lead a team to a first? Besides Perreault, Turgeon (the latter of which I know nothing about) Buffalo has never had a number one pick, and we've only picked in the top 5 a handful of times including those. At some point, you have to suck enough to become good through the draft, and it seems the only thing the Sabres have ever been the best at is being just good enough to never improve, and bad enough to be illicit some sort of hope that dies come May

Sadly, I think it's more like that Myers will not pan out at this point.

I'm starting to lean that way also, which is depressing considering the excitement that came with him his Calder year.

So, assuming Myers doesn't pan out (which I think is likely), do we trade him or are we incompetent enough to keep him for an absurd contract for years, watch him struggle, then lose him for nothing after paying him like he's an All-Star? Hopefully not, but this is Buffalo.

Assuming we trade him, and Vanek and Miller, and we get back to back firsts, (if not, at least top-threes), we should be looking at a top-four team, right?

The draft is a little more easy to predict as the talent is mapped out for months, but the trades for Vank/Miller/Myers are a little more iffy, and they could lend some pleasent surprises. We appear to have some stock, some pretty deep pockets actually, and the next three years could be exciting, building wise that is.

Edited by WildCard

I'm starting to lean that way also, which is depressing considering the excitement that came with him his Calder year.

So, assuming Myers doesn't pan out (which I think is likely), do we trade him or are we incompetent enough to keep him for an absurd contract for years, watch him struggle, then lose him for nothing after paying him like he's an All-Star? Hopefully not, but this is Buffalo.

Assuming we trade him, and Vanek and Miller, and we get back to back firsts, (if not, at least top-threes), we should be looking at a top-four team, right?

The draft is a little more easy to predict as the talent is mapped out for months, but the trades for Vank/Miller/Myers are a little more iffy, and they could lend some pleasent surprises. We appear to have some stock, some pretty deep pockets actually, and the next three years could be exciting, building wise that is.

If the Sabres are lucky enough to land Reinhart, I'll feel a ton better about their long term outlook. He's not going to be Crosby but he should be a legit no.1 center in the NHL. Once you have one, it's a lot easier to slot everyone else in the organization in around that guy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.