Defensive Question

cnytom

What happens if Tyler Meyers coming back off his injury is not as good as the six defensemen they have now? He still has a contract, so they would have to put him on waivers before they could send him to Rochester to rebuild, correct? If another team claimed him, do they get his salary as well or is Buffalo stuck with it? The reason,I ask is two fold, he gets injured a lot with bone breaks and we have some young guys who are developing pretty good, Ruhwedel, Pardy and Pysyk to go with Ehrhoff, Weber, and Sekera. Sulzer was showing progress when hurt, so can Meyers fit?

What happens if Tyler Meyers coming back off his injury is not as good as the six defensemen they have now? He still has a contract, so they would have to put him on waivers before they could send him to Rochester to rebuild, correct? If another team claimed him, do they get his salary as well or is Buffalo stuck with it? The reason,I ask is two fold, he gets injured a lot with bone breaks and we have some young guys who are developing pretty good, Ruhwedel, Pardy and Pysyk to go with Ehrhoff, Weber, and Sekera. Sulzer was showing progress when hurt, so can Meyers fit?

1) Myers... 1 e

2) You do not put Tyler Myers on waivers you trade him

3) If you did for some insane reason he would be claimed and all his salary would go with him.

4) I don't understand why they would have to get rid of him to rebuild. His cap hit is only 5.5 and thats manageable

5) He has a no movement clause and cannot be placed on waivers if I understand NMC correctly.

6) Most teams carry at least 7 defensemen on their rosters and have 1-2 guys in the minors they can call on. We have plenty of room for Myers

1) Myers... 1 e

2) You do not put Tyler Myers on waivers you trade him

3) If you did for some insane reason he would be claimed and all his salary would go with him.

4) I don't understand why they would have to get rid of him to rebuild. His cap hit is only 5.5 and thats manageable

5) He has a no movement clause and cannot be placed on waivers if I understand NMC correctly.

6) Most teams carry at least 7 defensemen on their rosters and have 1-2 guys in the minors they can call on. We have plenty of room for Myers

NMC and NTC clauses don't kick into a contract until they are UFA eligible (i.e. over 27 or played 7 seasons).

Myers really wasn't that bad. He played pretty poorly in a shortened season when he was injured just before it started. Also he is just 23. Do Sabres fan only like Ott? I get this impression. Ott, good. Any other player, not worth it. Especially Hecht, his team leading +/- and his inflated $1.25million.

Rudy and Pysyk have both shown a nice simple game. But a simple defensive game is not enough from all your defence. Pysyk will never be a game changer, but he will be a Sekera - steady and reliable. Even a guy like Weber, I like his game, but it is not a dominating one, despite its physical side. You also need the Ehrhoff (and Myers), who can shut-down the top lines and put up the points

Myers biggest problem is his mind. He beats himself up about making mistakes. He makes one mistake and spirals. This will change with age. Most 23 year old D men have barely sniffed the NHL, Myers has about 250 games under his belt

Myers also made some really nice small plays that 90% of people here didn't notice. And these small plays weren't necessarily simple, they were just effective. His broken leg gives him time to mature and watch game tape and recover. He was also playing really well the few games between Leopold leaving and him damaging himself

'

I'll let the Chz/Taro CBA tandem confirm, but I believe that a player coming off of an injury can be sent to the AHL for reconditioning without waivers (in either direction) provided that the player consents.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, but assuming we're talking about Myers, is my analysis right?

Yeah.

if you waive him and he gets picked up- his salary and cap hit are gone.

Waive him and nobody claims him- well WTF cares it ain't happening- part of his cap and salary still count towards the cap hit with the new CBA

'

I'll let the Chz/Taro CBA tandem confirm, but I believe that a player coming off of an injury can be sent to the AHL for reconditioning without waivers (in either direction) provided that the player consents.

Assuming no changes from the old to new CBA, you are correct on that item.

Just looking at the injury recovery - conditioning assignment part of it. Under the old CBA if he were finally ready to play again at a point in-season, then with his consent he could be sent down to Ra-cha-cha for up to 14 days. I don't see a reason to expect that has changed with the new CBA.

Of course, it also sounds like he'd be healed up sometime this summer so a conditioning assignment wouldn't be in the works.

Archived