Game of Thrones

qwksndmonster

They dropped a lot of bodies in last night's show between the last season recap and then the show itself.

The one moment of incongruity for me was the Jamie/Cersei thing.  She just went through the shaming, had her hair cut and all they talked about was the death of her daughter.  The shaming happened while Jamie was gone and one would think they would have discussed it ....

They dropped a lot of bodies in last night's show between the last season recap and then the show itself.

The one moment of incongruity for me was the Jamie/Cersei thing.  She just went through the shaming, had her hair cut and all they talked about was the death of her daughter.  The shaming happened while Jamie was gone and one would think they would have discussed it ....

dude spoilers :P

didn't expect the prince of dorne to be killed already though :D

Last minute of the episode was the best, pretty boring but was to be expected episode 3 will rock though :D

aX9mDK2_460s.jpg

Edited by Huckleberry

Where are the wildlings?  Everybody at Castle Black hates them so much but is okay with them leaving the castle to go wherever?  None of the wildlings want to stay at Castle Black at all?  Tormund doesn't want to stay near Jon (you know, that guy he vouched for in front of all the wildlings and said we can be friends with the Black Brothers because of this man) apparently.

If the mutiny was about the wildlings, then why hasn't Thorne led men against wherever the wildlings are?  That bit where he told the assembly that they killed Jon Snow and nobody got out of control or whipped a sword out was so stupid.  Apparently whenever you stage a coup as long as you use a firm enough voice when you talk to your men everything will be okay.

And what about Hardhome?  Why the hell did that even happen if none of the characters are going to act like it happened?

Melisandre is going to be tough to replace.

I didn't even realize that scene was her choosing to die.  I feel like a fire witch would be really important in the fight against the others, her dying now means that her arc offered pretty much nothing to the story (hey, just like Stannis's!).

Edited by qwksndmonster

Ugh the fight scenes were so bad.  I liked the parts where Pod was fighting because you could see what was happening.  The way they cut the Brienne parts was the usual 3-cuts-per-sword-swing crap that they do when they don't want to try to make anything look good.  I don't understand why they think not being able to see it at all is better.

And when the prince of Dorne stood up to fight...  Okay a 16 year old would have been training with weapons for at least half of his life, I'm supposed to believe that he would just put his back to one of the TWO people trying to kill him?  Even somebody who's never held a sword would be able to put up a better fight than that.

The Dorne plot was... Okay it happened.  Elleria cared so much about Oberyn that she exterminated his house...  Nice.  This also marks the first time in the books AND show where something actually happened in Dorne.  So woooooo.

I don't understand the Meereen scene.  Why was Tyrion walking around without a guard?  Were they taking the measure of the city?  It seemed like they were just going on a leisurely stroll. Why didn't Tyrion and Varys have the ships protected?  Why didn't Dany if she literally just left and her order would've still been standing.  Why did the Meereenese allow Dany to keep the ships until now?  Why did the show give Dany the ships when she took Meereen only to have them ALL be burnt?  Dany already chose to stay in Meereen, this ships burning business is drama first plotting that doesn't even have any real dramatic payoff.  Like, okay they can't go to Westeros now, but they weren't even trying to go to Westeros.  The city can be blockaded by water now and they have no way of fighting it...  Ok. Was that worth an entire nothing scene?  

So few of the scenes in this episode accomplished ANYTHING.  Sooooo booooorrrrrring. The Marg and Arya scenes were both boring and didn't bring any new story elements to the table.  Oooohh, the spooky old religious guy is trying to use Stockholm syndrome ooooooohhhhhhhh.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Well. That was boring.

The over/under on the number of episodes you actually like this season is set at 1.5, and I'm taking the under.

Melisandre is going to be tough to replace.

Presumably Edd will return with Tormund, a giant or 2 and some others, and they will take Ser Aliser apart?  And maybe Melisandre's necklace will revive Jon Snow?

I didn't even realize that scene was her choosing to die.  I feel like a fire witch would be really important in the fight against the others, her dying now means that her arc offered pretty much nothing to the story (hey, just like Stannis's!).

Where did you two get the notion that was her choosing to die? Given the Davos dialogue it followed, I thought it was pretty clearly just a visual cue to illustrate to viewers her power and how she's more than she appears.

Where are the wildlings?  Everybody at Castle Black hates them so much but is okay with them leaving the castle to go wherever?  None of the wildlings want to stay at Castle Black at all?  Tormund doesn't want to stay near Jon (you know, that guy he vouched for in front of all the wildlings and said we can be friends with the Black Brothers because of this man) apparently.

If the mutiny was about the wildlings, then why hasn't Thorne led men against wherever the wildlings are?  That bit where he told the assembly that they killed Jon Snow and nobody got out of control or whipped a sword out was so stupid.  Apparently whenever you stage a coup as long as you use a firm enough voice when you talk to your men everything will be okay.

And what about Hardhome?  Why the hell did that even happen if none of the characters are going to act like it happened?

Do you get so mad at the show that you stop paying attention? It was made clear that the wildlings had settled the land Jon had given them. Why didn't Thorne lead the men against the wildlings? Two things. 1) The Watch is obscenely outnumbered--marching on the wildlings would just be suicide. 2) I'm not even convinced he cares enough to make that move--could easily just be an excuse to seize power. Politics man, politics.

Regarding Hardhome, I think most just assume the wall is there, so it's all good. 

The over/under on the number of episodes you actually like this season is set at 1.5, and I'm taking the under.

You make it sound like it's my fault that I don't like the show. (Oh man you could set it at .5 and I'd still take the under.)

Where did you two get the notion that was her choosing to die? Given the Davos dialogue it followed, I thought it was pretty clearly just a visual cue to illustrate to viewers her power and how she's more than she appears.

I didn't think she was.  But Freeman thought so and he's always right (hehe okay no he's not) so I just went with it.

Another thing, the hounds.  I know that dogs are really hard to shoot with, but this was the best they could do?  They look like sweet old dogs and they disappear from the scene entirely once the fight starts.  So much for "I've seen what these hounds can do."  And Theon grew up hunting in these woods! Crossing the river wouldn't help if there's a crossing nearby.  Why did he act like it would work?  And the realist in me was screaming "Hypothermia! They're both dead already!"

The Dorne plot was... Okay it happened.  Elleria cared so much about Oberyn that she exterminated his house...  Nice.  This also marks the first time in the books AND show where something actually happened in Dorne.  So woooooo.

I don't understand the Meereen scene.  Why was Tyrion walking around without a guard?  Were they taking the measure of the city?  It seemed like they were just going on a leisurely stroll. Why didn't Tyrion and Varys have the ships protected?  Why didn't Dany if she literally just left and her order would've still been standing.  Why did the Meereenese allow Dany to keep the ships until now?  Why did the show give Dany the ships when she took Meereen only to have them ALL be burnt?  Dany already chose to stay in Meereen, this ships burning business is drama first plotting that doesn't even have any real dramatic payoff.  Like, okay they can't go to Westeros now, but they weren't even trying to go to Westeros.  The city can be blockaded by water now and they have no way of fighting it...  Ok. Was that worth an entire nothing scene?  

So few of the scenes in this episode accomplished ANYTHING.  Sooooo booooorrrrrring. The Marg and Arya scenes were both boring and didn't bring any new story elements to the table.  Oooohh, the spooky old religious guy is trying to use Stockholm syndrome ooooooohhhhhhhh.

1) Ellaria made it clear it wasn't only about Oberyn. It was about general inaction when Dorne is wronged.

2) Dude, pay attention. Tyrion literally explained why--to get a legitimate view of the city as it is.

3) I enjoyed seeing Arya set up to be a Westerosi version of Daredevil.

You make it sound like it's my fault that I don't like the show. (Oh man you could set it at .5 and I'd still take the under.)

It is, actually, as you continue to watch it.

I wasn't referring to her death -- just to the likely end of her highly compelling scenes of disrobing.

I didn't think she was.  But Freeman thought so and he's always right (hehe okay no he's not) so I just went with it.

Another thing, the hounds.  I know that dogs are really hard to shoot with, but this was the best they could do?  They look like sweet old dogs and they disappear from the scene entirely once the fight starts.  So much for "I've seen what these hounds can do."  And Theon grew up hunting in these woods! Crossing the river wouldn't help if there's a crossing nearby.  Why did he act like it would work?  And the realist in me was screaming "Hypothermia! They're both dead already!"

If you don't like it, you don't like it.

Related question:  was it you that was surprised that I didn't like "Boardwalk Empire?"  If so, there's a grave and gathering credibility issue here.

And FFS, the show has dragons, giants and resurrections -- are we really going to try to nitpick all of the "unrealistic" items that present themselves?

1) Ellaria made it clear it wasn't only about Oberyn. It was about general inaction when Dorne is wronged.

Which is a totally fair criticism to lob at Doran.  But killing him now after not establishing him at all was not a good decision by the showrunners.  Oh, those three guys we met once are dead.

And Ellaria's whole coup just seems like it's fueled by rage and nothing else.  I don't find it compelling.

2) Dude, pay attention. Tyrion literally explained why--to get a legitimate view of the city as it is.

Ok. The scene failed then.  We just saw the 3 Meereen sets that already existed filled with like 4 people.  Tyrion wasn't fearing for his life even though there's basically an active rebellion going down in the city.  Varys is still waiting on his spies so no added information there. There's no reasonable explanation for why the unsullied wouldn't be protecting the ships.  That scene could've accomplished so much more rather than just re-establishing things we already know.  I guess showing that red priests are supporting Dany was the button of that scene. woooo.

If you don't like it, you don't like it.

Related question:  was it you that was surprised that I didn't like "Boardwalk Empire?"  If so, there's a grave and gathering credibility issue here.

And FFS, the show has dragons, giants and resurrections -- are we really going to try to nitpick all of the "unrealistic" items that present themselves?

I was surprised you didn't like Season 1 of True Detective, which is easily in my top 5 for seasons of television.  And the hypothermia thing didn't bother me in a "game of thrones sucks rawrrr" sense, more in a "I can't turn my brain off" sense.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I see, said the blind man (and make no mistake, I'm blind after that scene). I'm guessing she puts the necklace back on.

Yeah I don't think they're going to dump Van Houten for the sake of a new actress.

For comic relief, I kinda liked the scene where Danerys was hauled before the Khal, who muses about the first sight of a beautiful naked woman being the best thing in the world, at which point his homies kept coming up with other things that were better, resulting in him finally, and exasperatedly, stating that seeing the naked woman was top-5.

For comic relief, I kinda liked the scene where Danerys was hauled before the Khal, who muses about the first sight of a beautiful naked woman being the best thing in the world, at which point his homies kept coming up with other things that were better, resulting in him finally, and exasperatedly, stating that seeing the naked woman was top-5.

hah yeah that wasn't bad :D

Just got done watching it.  Question:

How could Theon and Sansa possibly survive that 50-100 foot fall?  I thought they were committing suicide at the end of last season when they jumped, which was kind of cool.  Now they're somehow fine.  Wtf?  Am I missing something?

Just got done watching it. Question:

How could Theon and Sansa possibly survive that 50-100 foot fall? I thought they were committing suicide at the end of last season when they jumped, which was kind of cool. Now they're somehow fine. Wtf? Am I missing something?

Snow?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.