Soccer (Football) ~ Everything About The Beautiful Game

Sabres Fan in NS

In germany we had 3 plays like that this year(red card on every play). You cant have the leg up there. Doesnt matter if you dont see him. If you have the leg up there and you hit the guy -> Red card.

You took the risk to possibly injure someone. Could have hit his face. That happened before. He didnt see him but you are responsible for what you do.

I know it's tough because in the past this was not a red card. I can understand why the ref gave him the red, and I am actually happy they do this these days. Could still have injured rips/lunge, splenic...

I got hit myself when I played on a similar play. Wasn't much fun :D He barely touched my chin but at first I thought... "OMG my beautiful face" haha

In germany we had 3 plays like that this year(red card on every play). You cant have the leg up there. Doesnt matter if you dont see him. If you have the leg up there and you hit the guy -> Red card.

You took the risk to possibly injure someone. Could have hit his face. That happened before. He didnt see him but you are responsible for what you do.

I know it's tough because in the past this was not a red card. I can understand why the ref gave him the red, and I am actually happy they do this these days. Could still have injured rips/lunge, splenic...

I got hit myself when I played on a similar play. Wasn't much fun :D He barely touched my chin but at first I thought... "OMG my beautiful face" hahaI

Absolutely disagree. First, there wasn't intent, Nani was playing the ball as was Arbeloa. If he was trying to kick Arbeloa, then maybe but I remember a straight kick to the chest in the WC 2010 (Dutch?) that was issued a yellow. This was very tame compared to that. Second, If that's a red then Real's keep Lopez should have gotten one for contacting Vidic on the corner. Third, this ref has a history of hard lining EPL players (Gerrard, Mario, Cahill). Fourth, this isn't the Bundesliga, or the EPL , or any other league for that matter. It's the top stage in one of the biggest games ever.

The decision has to be airtight (especially in wake of the recent scandal), and it's far from it.

I'm not a Man U apologist, as I said I hate em. But that shouldn't have been a red.

Edited by Braedon

Absolutely disagree. First, there wasn't intent, Nani was playing the ball as was Arbeloa. If he was trying to kick Arbeloa, then maybe but I remember a straight kick to the chest in the WC 2010 (Dutch?) that was issued a yellow. This was very tame compared to that. Second, If that's a red then Real's keep Lopez should have gotten one for contacting Vidic on the corner. Third, this ref has a history of hard lining EPL players (Gerrard, Mario, Cahill). Fourth, this isn't the Bundesliga, or the EPL , or any other league for that matter. It's the top stage in one of the biggest games ever.

The decision has to be airtight (especially in wake of the recent scandal), and it's far from it.

I'm not a Man U apologist, as I said I hate em. But that shouldn't have been a red.

It doesnt matter which league it is. There is no difference in the rules no matter if friendly in the 4th league or world cup final. It's a dangerous play and according to the rules than can result in a red card. The intent (or not intent) doesnt matter at all. If Lopes should have gotten red is a different story. And of course the dutch guy back then should have gotten a red card for sure.

Nani's play was dangerous and he hit him right in the chest/stomach area. That's according to the rules a red card. And thank god it is.

C'mon...I hate Man U as much as the next guy, and AF is a totally baby. However Nani did not deserve the red. Especially in that situation.

I think what just as interesting is AF's decision to sit 10 for 17. Balsy move IMO.

It's all in the name of the Man U drama. Better than any British soap on the tele.

As for the red card ... it was deserved. Man U, lead by their manager, are all a bunch of whinners. All part of the drama. Now they can hold their head high, cause they was robbed and jobbed ... :rolleyes: .

It doesnt matter which league it is. There is no difference in the rules no matter if friendly in the 4th league or world cup final. It's a dangerous play and according to the rules than can result in a red card. The intent (or not intent) doesnt matter at all. If Lopes should have gotten red is a different story. And of course the dutch guy back then should have gotten a red card for sure.

Nani's play was dangerous and he hit him right in the chest/stomach area. That's according to the rules a red card. And thank god it is.

It does matter what league it is. The CL and WC are usually called more conservative than house because of clashing playing styles, different refs, and whats on the line. Mourinho even acknowledged that Nani could have gotten a yellow. They got the same call with Pepe in the CL.

The rule isn't hitting the player, it's significantly risking his safety if you hit him. Watch it again, he didn't hit him right in the chest/stomach, he got his arm and glanced off his side. And plenty of theatrics by Arbeloa (and Nani), I might add.

irY3AXtSsRD31.gif

Agree to disagree on this one.

Here's Lopez punching Vidic. It's not a different story, if they call one they need to call both.

http://www.metatube.com/en/videos/174269/Nemanja-Vidic-clash-with-Diego-Lopez-Manchester-United-vs-Real-Madrid/

Edited by Braedon

That's the first time I've seen the play, since every news outlet that covered it seemed not to be able to stream the video to my "territory." Really? It's a replay, not live footage, UEFA. Stop being aggravating.

Anyway: that's definitely a red card.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump ...

Huge match coming up Friday in Zenica, BiH.

BiH taking on Greece in WC 2014 qualifying. These two are tied atop their group, with Bosnia ahead on a large goal differential. The winner will be in the driver seat big time, with a very good chance to end up the group winner.

GO BiH!!

Bump ...

Huge match coming up Friday in Zenica, BiH.

BiH taking on Greece in WC 2014 qualifying. These two are tied atop their group, with Bosnia ahead on a large goal differential. The winner will be in the driver seat big time, with a very good chance to end up the group winner.

GO BiH!!

.......... Džeko .......... Džeko ..........

Croatia beat Serbia in WC 2014 qualifying. That's good, I guess.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=418838

The Serbs were barred from attending the match in Zagreb to prevent stupidity. They should have barred the Croatians too. With hateful Nationalistic chants coming from the hot heads in attendance ... shameful. "Kill, kill the Serbs" chants do not belong at a football match, or anywhere. Just plain nuts!!

Croatia should be banned from the WC and other international play, until they can act like civilized people.

Man, it's going to get ugly over there, AGAIN!!

Croatia beat Serbia in WC 2014 qualifying. That's good, I guess.

http://www.tsn.ca/so...tory/?id=418838

The Serbs were barred from attending the match in Zagreb to prevent stupidity. They should have barred the Croatians too. With hateful Nationalistic chants coming from the hot heads in attendance ... shameful. "Kill, kill the Serbs" chants do not belong at a football match, or anywhere. Just plain nuts!!

Croatia should be banned from the WC and other international play, until they can act like civilized people.

Man, it's going to get ugly over there, AGAIN!!

It still amazes me the level of outward racism in Euro and African football. It seems as if we are more capable of separating game from societal/political conflict. Then again, we've had less bloodshed on our soil and we're a younger, more diverse country.

Well that can not be really compared. Serbia and Croatia were fighting for years in a war until 1995. I doubt that every american loved every american 17 or 18 years after american the civil war ;)

Oh, it still goes on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't believe the Canaries are in another relegation battle.

Today's loss was hard to take, but I think they will be OK.

Manchester CIty has nothing really to play for and it shows, so the Canaries may pull that one off, or at least draw.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

The dream is alive for May 25th, all German CL final............Nice work Bundesliga.........As a side note the teams played this Saturday in league play and they tied 1-1, with both teams using a lot of reserve players.......Reus and Müller were subbed on near the end of the game........Notable plays included a great Penalty stop save by Neüer on Lewandowski in the second half......Game got chippy at the end, with back up RB for Bayern getting sent off for being an ass after giving a solid elbow right to Kuba's face........The game heating up at then end included some coaches yelling at each other......Can't wait to watch the final.

It was fun to watch... Media is jumping on that game a lot though... Trying to add fuel to the fire...

But, with how they have been fighting for the Bundesliga crown for the past three years, a rivalry is building.

Edited by DR HOLLIDAY

The Bundesliga really has come back around, it seems. Maybe it's a three-league Europe now.

Funny, Primera division and premier league, most of the so called top teams have ammassed huge debts, it can't continue.

Bundesliga along with belgian and swedish league are the only 3 financially healthy leagues in europe.

Also only 3 leagues whom actually punish teams that have huge debts. So yes for me its a 3 league europe, as in german swedish and belgian.

Funny, Primera division and premier league, most of the so called top teams have ammassed huge debts, it can't continue.

Bundesliga along with belgian and swedish league are the only 3 financially healthy leagues in europe.

Also only 3 leagues whom actually punish teams that have huge debts. So yes for me its a 3 league europe, as in german swedish and belgian.

If anyone cared about financial health, there would be a lot more Norwich fans and a lot fewer Man U. fans. I mean no offense, but the world isn't watching Swedish and Belgian soccer. Spanish and English soccer, on the other hand, are televised around the globe.