(OT) Quick visit to Falls/Buffalo

PASabreFan

I know there used to be a thread where visitors to Buffalo could comment on things, but I couldn't find it. Maybe a moderator can locate it and add this post to the end of it. Thanks.

I spent 24 hours in Niagara Falls, USA and Buffalo the other day with my young nephews. They'd been to the Canadian side of the Falls and actually said the American side was "cooler." Go figure. It was Canada Day and the crowds were huge. Couldn't get near Cave of the Winds, which really bummed me out.

We scarfed down 50 wings at the Duff's in Tonawanda. I recognize that they're better than the average wing, but I couldn't help wonder on the way out what all the fuss is about. Ended up at the Adam's Mark after our first hotel, not far from Duff's, actually had bugs on the bed -- the debate about whether bedbugs can fly was probably the highlight of the trip. These suckers had wings, and I don't think bedbugs do. Still, there was no way we were crawling under those sheets.

If visiting NHL teams are staying at the Adam's Mark, I can see why there's some griping. Nice enough place, and actually only modestly more than the fleabag motel up north, but it really needs a good freshening up.

I walked around downtown Buffalo for a few hours early the next morning. Actually my first real experience in the city -- whenever we'd come to games, my dad would always want to get out of Dodge before someone pulled a knife and stuck him for the 11 bucks he had in his wallet.

The city's reputation for its architecture is no joke. The night before, the kids got a kick out of the statue of liberty replicas on the Liberty Building. Of course I gravitated back home, to the Aud. My emotions were just raw enough from some recent events that I grabbed the chain link fence and started crying. Actually quite embarrassing, but no one else was around. I was excited to learn a little later that all the construction activity inside the fences would give the lot new life.

The arena looked well. Canalside was impressive. The Skyway was ridiculous. The Naval Park seemed disjointed. The whole area kind of looks like it just has to be pulled together more cohesively. I was happy to help an out of town motorist who'd been lost in the labrynth of streets by the Aud since Game 3 against the Pens in '79. I told him to turn onto Middle Terrace and take two lefts. He should be OK.

Ended up in the Sabres Store a little later when it opened. We saw a really nice sports car all by itself near the store with a vanity plate of EXSUBTUT. Kevbo was inside doing his show. Ex-substitute (play by play)?

Then we went to the zoo and hit the Hertel strip for lunch at Bob and John's or John and Bob's. Great little zoo. Decent pizza.

All in all, I left with a very positive impression of the area, especially the city. I looked hard and couldn't find much evidence of the blighted, depressed place it is depicted to be. One block by the arena had minimal graffiti. Maybe it was the gorgeous weather, the vacation vibe or just a reflection of my Podunk hometown, but Buffalo was all right. You could say it's got a spirit, talking proud, talking proud...

Sorry if that'll be stuck in anyone's brain the rest of the day.

I was worried those dark clouds were a storm working its way through the area, good to know it was just you j/k

I can understand the comment about the Falls being "cooler" on the American side probably because it wasn't as busy, and less touristy with all the crappy giftshops and attractions around Lundys lane.

Ended up in the Sabres Store a little later when it opened. We saw a really nice sports car all by itself near the store with a vanity plate of EXSUBTUT. Kevbo was inside doing his show. Ex-substitute (play by play)?

Since it is a 'vanity' plate; probably meant it to mean excellent substitute.

You could say it's got a spirit, talking proud, talking proud...

Sorry if that'll be stuck in anyone's brain the rest of the day.

Let's just go ahead and do it right.

Glad you had a good day.

My emotions were just raw enough from some recent events that I grabbed the chain link fence and started crying. Actually quite embarrassing, but no one else was around. I was excited to learn a little later that all the construction activity inside the fences would give the lot new life.

All in all, I left with a very positive impression of the area, especially the city. I looked hard and couldn't find much evidence of the blighted, depressed place it is depicted to be.

It's this kind of passion and goodwill that propels the city's rise from its own ashes. The younger generation are the inheritors of a great canvas on which to paint their lives. I wish I could be there.

Let's just go ahead and do it right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9j9h8KDJSQ&feature=related

Glad you had a good day.

It's completely insane that the city skyline hasn't changed in 30+ years. Western New York is still a huge population center but the inability to get anything built is staggering. I've never seen a city do less with waterfront property.

I've never seen a city do less with waterfront property.

Cleveland had that reputation long before we did, and they've fixed their ###### up pretty good. Downtown LA is also revitalizing currently from one of the worst crime ######holes in the US to a modern haven for young professionals.

It can be done and it will be done.

Cleveland had that reputation long before we did, and they've fixed their ###### up pretty good. Downtown LA is also revitalizing currently from one of the worst crime ######holes in the US to a modern haven for young professionals.

It can be done and it will be done.

I hope you're right. Buffalo needs to get over its can't-do attitude. Every time I'm home I hear someone (on the radio, TV, or in person) whine about how we're so small/poor and can't be expected to do what other cities do.

Every other city I've ever lived in seems to have some momentum and things get done. Chicago is full of corruption, its population peaked in 1950 and is now below its 1920 count, but there are still towers going up all over town. Buffalo can't get one tower built? For a hotel, condos, apartments, business, or otherwise? I can't even wrap my head around that.

I've love to believe we're going to turn it all around and revitalize the area, but we couldn't even get a new bridge to Canada built. Some moron stepped in and said too many birds would fly into it. We listened to him and scrapped the thing. (Amazingly, birds in every other city I've ever lived in managed to somehow fly around the tall buildings there.)

It's completely insane that the city skyline hasn't changed in 30+ years. Western New York is still a huge population center but the inability to get anything built is staggering. I've never seen a city do less with waterfront property.

It's also completely incorrect. I can think of several buildings that weren't here when I moved back eight years ago.

It's also completely incorrect. I can think of several buildings that weren't here when I moved back eight years ago.

Skyline, as in skyscrapers. We have some new buildings (the federal courthouse, for example) but there aren't any new towers. From afar, it's the HSBC tower and city hall, with smaller buildings around -- pretty much the same as when I was a kid in the 80s (and I'm back 1-2 times per year). Every other city I've lived in has noticeably changed shape during my time there.

And I hate it. I want Buffalo to have all the shiny, awesome things that other cities have.

Skyline, as in skyscrapers. We have some new buildings (the federal courthouse, for example) but there aren't any new towers. From afar, it's the HSBC tower and city hall, with smaller buildings around -- pretty much the same as when I was a kid in the 80s (and I'm back 1-2 times per year). Every other city I've lived in has noticeably changed shape during my time there.

And I hate it. I want Buffalo to have all the shiny, awesome things that other cities have.

Depends on the angle, I guess; if you look across from Canada, it looks very, very different.

I'm assuming once the new Marriott comes in at the Donovan site the teams will stay there.

I'm not sure it will be big enough, and it's a Courtyard by Marriott and not a full-service hotel. But its location might make it attractive to some teams.

If visiting NHL teams are staying at the Adam's Mark, I can see why there's some griping. Nice enough place, and actually only modestly more than the fleabag motel up north, but it really needs a good freshening up.

that's an interesting update. the adams mark hotel is the last of its species (there used to be several adams mark hotels; buffalo's is the last one). that property will be flying the crowne plaza "flag" in the near future, after ~$8-12M in improvements are made. did you see any evidence of such improvements? i recall hearing this news over a year ago; it'd be discouraging to hear that they have not made substantial progress. anyway, that parcel has a less than ideal location; convenient for auto traffic, yes -- but it's just sort of wedged in there beneath the skyway and elevated 190. whenever i have tried to walk to or from that hotel, i feel like i am taking my life in my hands.

My emotions were just raw enough from some recent events that I grabbed the chain link fence and started crying. Actually quite embarrassing, but no one else was around. I was excited to learn a little later that all the construction activity inside the fences would give the lot new life.

that there's the sort of content that had people wondering when you'd return.

the plan for that area, as i understand it, is very exciting -- an extension of the re-created canal, more historic commercial slip feel alongside that waterway (with associated small-ball retail and restaurants), and even skating in the winter (assuming we get traditional winters to return to wny (something that i worry about: http://summitcountyvoice.com/2012/03/05/global-warming-the-end-of-pond-hockey/ )).

I hope you're right. Buffalo needs to get over its can't-do attitude. Every time I'm home I hear someone (on the radio, TV, or in person) whine about how we're so small/poor and can't be expected to do what other cities do.

Every other city I've ever lived in seems to have some momentum and things get done. Chicago is full of corruption, its population peaked in 1950 and is now below its 1920 count, but there are still towers going up all over town. Buffalo can't get one tower built? For a hotel, condos, apartments, business, or otherwise? I can't even wrap my head around that.

I've love to believe we're going to turn it all around and revitalize the area, but we couldn't even get a new bridge to Canada built. Some moron stepped in and said too many birds would fly into it. We listened to him and scrapped the thing. (Amazingly, birds in every other city I've ever lived in managed to somehow fly around the tall buildings there.)

I've been banging this drum for 35 years - the "revitalization" of the Buffalo waterfront began being talked about in the mid-seventies. In the same time period, both Baltimore and Boston have re-tooled their waterfronts into huge attractions. Buffalo is finally getting with the program, but as with everything else the city does, it is painfully slow...

Double-edged sword here. Part of the reason Buffalo has such great architecture is that while other cities were imploding their late 19th/early 20th century buildings in the name of "progress", we just let them be.

What's happening now is that private investors have basically quit waiting for local government and begun doing things on their own. Hotel Lafayette, Larkinville, etc. That's why everything is so disjointed - no master plan. (Well, there is one for the waterfront, more or less, but that is still a work in progress). As more small projects come online, the areas between them will eventually fill in. There is already an increased number of young folks moving to apartments/condos downtown. That as much as (or maybe more than) anything else will drive future development.

I am very optimistic for the future - things are looking so much better now than even five years ago. The medical campus is just about ready to really begin hopping, there is new development springing up alll over and the young folks are coming back. I just wish this had happened ten or fifteen years ago.

The unfortunate thing is, by the time all these things come to fruition, I'll be retiring and ready to go someplace where the winters are softer. Of course, then I can come back to Buffalo and be a "tourist". :thumbsup:

that's an interesting update. the adams mark hotel is the last of its species (there used to be several adams mark hotels; buffalo's is the last one). that property will be flying the crowne plaza "flag" in the near future, after ~$8-12M in improvements are made. did you see any evidence of such improvements?

Well, I have no frame of reference for comparison. But I didn't notice anything that looked like millions had been poured into it. The room was fine but outdated. The TV cabinet probably cried when Andy Griffith died.

the plan for that area, as i understand it, is very exciting -- an extension of the re-created canal, more historic commercial slip feel alongside that waterway (with associated small-ball retail and restaurants), and even skating in the winter (assuming we get traditional winters to return to wny (something that i worry about: http://summitcountyv...of-pond-hockey/ )).

Certainly a pipe dream, but wouldn't it be cool if the area for skating was the exact dimension of the Aud ice, in exactly the same spot? At the very least, I hope they design some frames of reference for future generations: this is where center ice was, this is where the lockerroom was, and so on. I noticed at Canalside that they had a transparent display that you looked through to see how the canal appeared in various eras. Something like this could let people "view" the Aud again from Main St.

i missed this chestnut. do i rightly understand that you saw sylvester broadcasting his WGR550 show from inside the FNC's atrium? i am likewise intrigued by his vanity plate. i will also say that, the fact that he even has a vanity plate leaves me, in the words of my 20-something family members, #SMH [shaking my head].

lunch at Bob and John's or John and Bob's. Decent pizza.

bob and john's is a north buffalo institution. i think that their pizza is more than decent, but i am biased since that is the pizza i ate throughout my childhood (other than appetite, one of the greatest food quality enhancers is nostalgia).

i missed this chestnut. do i rightly understand that you saw sylvester broadcasting his WGR550 show from inside the FNC's atrium? i am likewise intrigued by his vanity plate. i will also say that, the fact that he even has a vanity plate leaves me, in the words of my 20-something family members, #SMH [shaking my head].

No, he does the show from inside the Sabres Store. I don't know that it was his vanity plate.

ibob and john's is a north buffalo institution. i think that their pizza is more than decent, but i am biased since that is the pizza i ate throughout my childhood (other than appetite, one of the greatest food quality enhancers is nostalgia).

I was going to say the pizza was good or even very good, but went with decent, anticipating that the pizza snobs out there would bite my head off if it's only average Buffalo pizza. It was good. Maybe very good.

I was going to say the pizza was good or even very good, but went with decent, anticipating that the pizza snobs out there would bite my head off if it's only average Buffalo pizza. It was good. Maybe very good.

Very good pizza is the average in Buffalo. :)

Good to know buffalo isn't an average american city, that plunges themselves in huge debts by investing in a new skyline.

A city doesn't need to reinvent itselfs just for the sake of making it look modern, or make it look new even.

Good to know buffalo isn't an average american city, that plunges themselves in huge debts by investing in a new skyline.

No, they plunged themselves into debt without investing in anything. Well, except for free plastic surgery for public school teachers (courtesy of the taxpayers): http://www.buffalonews.com/city/communities/buffalo/article737925.ece

A city doesn't need to reinvent itselfs just for the sake of making it look modern, or make it look new even.

Right, because our status as a "ghost town" during the 2010 World Juniors was awesome: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Buffalo-welcomes-the-hockey-world-hockey-world-?urn=nhl-301095

Channel 7 also found hockey websites trashing Buffalo. Two sports bloggers from Sweden who are here covering the tournament had this to say.

"Coming to Buffalo was like falling into a scene from the movie "28 Days Later" minus all the zombies. The streets were horrible fate," bloggers said.

A fan from Finland also had negative comments. "Downtown is like a ghost city after six p.m. so all you can do is sit in a hotel lobby bar. HSBC is a nice arena but take one wrong exit from the highway and you find yourself in a very, very, very scary ghetto," the Finland fan said.

The first step in getting better is admitting that you have a problem.

Archived