Ranger Training for the Sabres

If you saw the Rangers/Caps marathon Wednesday night, one thing really left an impression (in more ways than one). The Rangers were blocking shots time and again. It had to be exceptionally frustrating for the Caps. It's like the Rangers are well coached in it and have gotten so accustomed to doing it that it's second nature. Of course it also takes some guts.

Wouldn't it be nice to run an edited tape of that game for the Sabres D, the coaches, and Darcy over and over again? Certain Sabres defensemen, Sekera for one, actually cringe when a shot is headed their way as they seek to avoid it. If the tape doesn't work, go get some gutsy defensemen Darcy.

How much more effective would we be with effective shot blockers? Ask Miller.

I just can't see this group of players diving into shots night and night out.

And we all know Darcy won't trade for anyone who will, and if he suddenly loses his marbles and do, it's one player on a team of puck-shy players.

Not likely to make any impact whatsoever.

Also, if our current guys did start blocking shots, we'd see the Amerks up here again real quick.

Don't think I ever saw a team this brittle, and I wonder how much Ruff's "system" has to do with it.

With players like Chara about less and less players will get in the way of blocked shots. While I thought that a few times during the season we do stand a good chance of a shot being saved if we put more effort into making sure Miller can see the shot. With goalies the size and padded as they are and the goals not getting any bigger if a goalie can see it he can stop it generally.

If you saw the Rangers/Caps marathon Wednesday night, one thing really left an impression (in more ways than one). The Rangers were blocking shots time and again. It had to be exceptionally frustrating for the Caps. It's like the Rangers are well coached in it and have gotten so accustomed to doing it that it's second nature. Of course it also takes some guts.

Wouldn't it be nice to run an edited tape of that game for the Sabres D, the coaches, and Darcy over and over again? Certain Sabres defensemen, Sekera for one, actually cringe when a shot is headed their way as they seek to avoid it. If the tape doesn't work, go get some gutsy defensemen Darcy.

Shot blocking, in and of itself, is not necessarily a good thing. When the puck is in your zone, yes, you want to try and block some shots. But you also don't want to screen your goaltender while doing so--sometimes letting a goalie get a clean look at a shot is just as good as blocking it. Secondly, if a team is playing a game and has say 2-3 times the amount of blocked shots as the other team, that generally indicates they're pinned in their own end way too much. I'll take puck possession over shot blocking every single time.

And we all know Darcy won't trade for anyone who will, and if he suddenly loses his marbles and do, it's one player on a team of puck-shy players.

Also, if our current guys did start blocking shots, we'd see the Amerks up here again real quick.

Don't think I ever saw a team this brittle, and I wonder how much Ruff's "system" has to do with it.

I certainly hope that's a joke. An intentional joke, I mean, because it's still a joke of an argument either way.

I certainly hope that's a joke. An intentional joke, I mean, because it's still a joke of an argument either way.

I don't think it's a joke. I have always hated how far down our forwards collapse in our zone. It leaves the points completely uncovered and leads extended time in our own zone being exposed to more slapshots from the point. Tired players get hurt. Whether true or not, it's at least a valid argument.

I don't think it's a joke. I have always hated how far down our forwards collapse in our zone. It leaves the points completely uncovered and leads extended time in our own zone being exposed to more slapshots from the point. Tired players get hurt. Whether true or not, it's at least a valid argument.

When the players play by the system it works, if you notice most goals against involve players like Stafford leaving their post to chase the puck.

Being tired doesn't weaken bones. Ruff's system doesn't weaken bones. If we have a bunch of players who are brittle, that's genetics, not system-related. I know it's fun to make everything that goes wrong with the team Ruff's fault, but let's not re-invent medicine here.

Being tired doesn't weaken bones. Ruff's system doesn't weaken bones. If we have a bunch of players who are brittle, that's genetics, not system-related. I know it's fun to make everything that goes wrong with the team Ruff's fault, but let's not re-invent medicine here.

There are lots of different injuries, broken bones are just one variety.

And I never said it was Ruff's fault, I just wondered how much having 5 guys down low and the points open might have something to do with it.

No need to get emotional.

Being tired can cause a player to lose form and/or control which could lead to broken bones or something else, like Kristian said. Being tired can lead to bad decision making, putting a player in a bad position opening himself up to injury. I didn't reinvent anything.

Obviously you never played Tecmo Bowl.

90% of horses break down in the 2nd half of the race.

There are lots of different injuries, broken bones are just one variety.

And I never said it was Ruff's fault, I just wondered how much having 5 guys down low and the points open might have something to do with it.

No need to get emotional.

Being tired can cause a player to lose form and/or control which could lead to broken bones or something else, like Kristian said. Being tired can lead to bad decision making, putting a player in a bad position opening himself up to injury. I didn't reinvent anything.

Fair enough. But what Sabres injuries this year would be a result of that, specifically?

Obviously you never played Tecmo Bowl.

90% of horses break down in the 2nd half of the race.

Tecmo Super Bowl is where it's at ;)

yeah we need some beasts. more regehrs please. and not a whiny goalie either.

so more 32old defensemen who look like stone pylons when a forward with speed goes right around them and then scores? More guys like that? Because idk about you but this entire board is enamered with Regehr's myth. He is not that gritty, he is not that amazing on defense, he is solid and nothing more.

Team needs a rebuild. Plain and simple. Everyone is like "trade WEBER!!!" "Trade SEKERA!!!" The funny thing is in 365days Leopold and Regehr will both be gone. So there ya go. 2 more open defense spots open up. Roy will be gone as well. Its the perfect time for a rebuild. Unless you foolishly think we could win the cup next season... o well TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!

When the players play by the system it works, if you notice most goals against involve players like Stafford leaving their post to chase the puck.

Actually, I don't notice that. I notice we play soft in the defensive zone, chasing the guy with the puck and attempting to stick check him. And yes, opposing point men are always wide open because we do collapse so much. Basic geometry tells me that if you are closer to the guy with the puck, you block more of the shooting/passing lane. I believe this has something to do with why goalies like to get outside the paint and challenge the shooter. It isn't rocket science.

so more 32old defensemen who look like stone pylons when a forward with speed goes right around them and then scores? More guys like that? Because idk about you but this entire board is enamered with Regehr's myth. He is not that gritty, he is not that amazing on defense, he is solid and nothing more.

Team needs a rebuild. Plain and simple. Everyone is like "trade WEBER!!!" "Trade SEKERA!!!" The funny thing is in 365days Leopold and Regehr will both be gone. So there ya go. 2 more open defense spots open up. Roy will be gone as well. Its the perfect time for a rebuild. Unless you foolishly think we could win the cup next season... o well TGIF!!!!!!!!!!!

I expect at least one if not both will be signed to new contracts. Regehr just got here and I expect he'd like to stay here a while since he moved his family, so if the three year plan is in place I'd expect him to get at least a 3 year deal from Buffalo along with Leopold. There's no reason to let either go after next season, they've played well for us and I think you'd want to keep that defensive core intact if you plan to make a cup run this coming year or next.

Closer to the shot also means a more powerful shot to block - if we are coming up with medicine related things here

Also, guys these are world class athletes here, being on the ice for an extra 10 seconds might mean they make a stupid play, it won't mean they forget how to block a shot and decide the safest root is to use their face to stop the shot

The system has nothing to do with injuries, we were unlucky plain and simple.

I would rather emulate the red wings style of play, which is once you have the puck you keep it than the rangers shot blocking - a) it would be more fun to watch the sbares wheel the puck around and b) it would cause less injuries

But seriously we need to fire Ruff and Regier, they are not helping anything, Pegula has the money to scan the prospective players genomes and find out which are the strongest, but Regier refuses to do it!!!

Closer to the shot also means a more powerful shot to block - if we are coming up with medicine related things here

Also, guys these are world class athletes here, being on the ice for an extra 10 seconds might mean they make a stupid play, it won't mean they forget how to block a shot and decide the safest root is to use their face to stop the shot

The system has nothing to do with injuries, we were unlucky plain and simple.

I would rather emulate the red wings style of play, which is once you have the puck you keep it than the rangers shot blocking - a) it would be more fun to watch the sbares wheel the puck around and b) it would cause less injuries

But seriously we need to fire Ruff and Regier, they are not helping anything, Pegula has the money to scan the prospective players genomes and find out which are the strongest, but Regier refuses to do it!!!

Which is it?

Which is it?

Sorry i didn't make myself clear:

If a team does not have to block shots, that will lead to less injuries (mostly day to day soreness - they might not even miss time). However, our system is not one that blocks shots, thus the injuries out players had this year, had nothing to do with blocking shots - they were two different points

we would be coastin to every cup if we had a different coach... and yes i do believe that. tear me apart i could care less.

Blocking shots can be a high risk game. Last year it pretty much ended the Rangers through injuries.

And I think there is nothing worse for a goaltender than an almost blocked shot. Regular season I think it is much smarter just to keep play to the outside and let the goaltender see it. Playoffs, hell, block it with eyeballs and tongues if you have to.

we would be coastin to every cup if we had a different coach... and yes i do believe that. tear me apart i could care less.

or and I am just thinking out loud here, we could drink some rum and party like its 1999?

This team has been, in recent years, near the bottom of the league in blocked shots and hits. It seems to be an annual argument between Tom Webster and myself on the value of blocked shots and hits. IMO, a physical roster willing to put their bodies on the line is exactly what this franchise needs.

Hitting and blocking shots is an art form. Like taking a bump in pro-wrestling. You can't just throw your body out there. You need players willing and players that know the proper techniques. IMO, that is the cause of many of the injuries we see in the game, many players just don't know how to absorb a hit.

Archived