AP Report: Sabres to Stay the Course with Ruff and Regier

That Aud Smell

per the AP, of all sources.

http://blogs.buffalo...uff-regier.html

that's a little bit of an F U on black's part to the local media -- or no?

Why an FU? I assume it was mostly TP's decision. Because they didn't address the Hamilton/Roy story?

Timing is good, avoid speculation for weeks or months, let the players relax and be ready. They can make it work!

Why an FU? I assume it was mostly TP's decision. Because they didn't address the Hamilton/Roy story?

Timing is good, avoid speculation for weeks or months, let the players relax and be ready. They can make it work!

Good points, all. Guess I will go with "or no?"

Cue the next 7 months of relentless bitching.

You mean 12 months, we'll be here a year from now discussing the same exact thing after another historic run to 9th place.

I hope you didn't really think that they would be gone.

Like many, I am sure he thought they would be back and hoped they wouldn't.

You mean 12 months, we'll be here a year from now discussing the same exact thing after another historic run to 9th place.

Of course, I don't know what I was thinking. How silly of me to believe the Sabres will make the playoffs next year. I wish I could see the future like you.

Of course, I don't know what I was thinking. How silly of me to believe the Sabres will make the playoffs next year. I wish I could see the future like you.

No need for clairvoyance to see this coming, A failed GM/Coach combo back for another season is no cause for optimism.

I wish I could be optimistic about the future. It's getting more and more difficult for me to imagine Ruff and Regier ever winning a championship here.

No need to be clairvoyance to see this coming, A failed GM/Coach combo back for another season is no cause for optimism.

It is true that history may show that Regier and Ruff are a failure as a combo, but one year under a new ownership group is hardly enough evidence. You might be wiling to ignore factors such as ownership and organization issues but I am not. I consider them relevant. It's no coincidence that the Sabres struggled under the Rigases, and that Darcy was limited by the subsequent NHL takeover of the team. We might as well have been Phoenix!

I see this past season as very similar to the 03-04 season. Emergence from ownership change, the emergence of young players who will replace the 05-06 core (much like the replacement of the core Muckler had assembled).

I'm sorry I don't see things as negatively as you. Or that I see outside factors as significant. But this team is just as much on the cusp of success as it is failure.

how about a tar and feather party for R &R. Then run em outta town on a rail. Maybe only then will Emperor Pegula will realize how disgusted the fans are with these two.

Yes, clearly a majority of Sabres fans feel the same way you do. You should go start a Facebook group for that event.

I think we have at a minimum, two more years with these two.

We have to assume that Black, Pegula, Ruff and Regier had a state of the Sabres meeting when Pegula first showed up, discussing short and long term goals. We don't know and weren't told what that plan is, but I'd like to think that shrader was on to something when he said it looked like they were overhauling the D with some tweeks to the forwards in year one, then overhaul the rest of the forwards with some tweeks to the D in year two. It's not a bad plan and they seem to have done an okay job in year 1.

We know that they were working under constraints during the previous owners. I think it will be interesting to see if they have what it takes to make it work when those constraints are removed. Three years is probably what they will be given under Black to prove themselves (dear God please let it only be three years).

I'm ok with this. One last chance.

"As difficult as it was on the franchise to miss the playoffs, Black told The Associated Press by phone that there's "no time to wallow in misery." He says the team will continue the aggressive approach in adding players it established last offseason, its first under new owner Terry Pegula."

Bolded part I like.

http://www.wivb.com/dpp/sports/sabres_and_nhl/black-sabres-keeping-ruff-regier

I think we have at a minimum, two more years with these two.

We have to assume that Black, Pegula, Ruff and Regier had a state of the Sabres meeting when Pegula first showed up, discussing short and long term goals. We don't know and weren't told what that plan is, but I'd like to think that shrader was on to something when he said it looked like they were overhauling the D with some tweeks to the forwards in year one, then overhaul the rest of the forwards with some tweeks to the D in year two. It's not a bad plan and they seem to have done an okay job in year 1.

We know that they were working under constraints during the previous owners. I think it will be interesting to see if they have what it takes to make it work when those constraints are removed. Three years is probably what they will be given under Black to prove themselves (dear God please let it only be three years).

This is how I see it as well. As I stated in another thread, I think it works out well. Regier and Ruff have till the end of Ryan Miller's current contract to get it done. After that, it likely becomes another goalie's team, as well as another coach's team, and maybe even GM.

Seeing how this plays out isn't going to kill me. The Pegula Perspective is logical and is likely the approach I personally would take. Which is probably why I don't support the whole "as long as Ruff and Regier are here, the Sabres are doomed" argument. At least not currently.

Pegula should have never committed to a timeline for winning the cup.

I knew they weren't going anywhere but there was still a little shred of hope that I held onto all season like. That shred has now dissipated.

Pegula should have never committed to a timeline for winning the cup.

I knew they weren't going anywhere but there was still a little shred of hope that I held onto all season like. That shred has now dissipated.

Why is a timeline to winning the Cup a bad thing?

Come on, does this not make any of you begin to sour just a tad on Pegula?!

If there aren't going to be any managerial changes this summer, then there better be some radical changes in the locker room. We've heard from Paul Hamilton himself that there is some bad chemistry going on between the coaching staff on the "core players". This town isn't big enough for the two of them. Someone in the "core" has to go.

Why is a timeline to winning the Cup a bad thing?

Well he stated 3 years. One down two more to go. But from what it seems he isn't capable of making the changes that are necessary to become a true contender.

Giving a timeline isn't a bad thing, but you need to take be able to follow though and make some drastic changes. Whether that be on the player level or the level. But we'll see what happens during the off season. A lot of fat needs to be trimmed.

Well he stated 3 years. One down two more to go. But from what it seems he isn't capable of making the changes that are necessary to become a true contender.

Changes wont be made until Pegula decides to be the owner and not everyone's friend. There is more to being an owner than signing some checks and looking over rug samples. Pegula will learn eventually that throwing away seasons just to keep his "friends" around is going to sour fans on him quickly.

Archived