Washington Not Far From Raleigh Pillaging Anyone?

plenzmd1

Another Buffalo transplant in MD. I can't make this game tonight but usually attend when the Sabres are in town. Always lots of Buffalo jersey's around since there are tons of WNY transplants around here. I think Caps fans get a little bit of a bad rap in this thread. While the entire fanbase are not as knowledgable about hockey as Buffalo fans...the core "rock the red" group are every bit as rowdy and loud as Sabres fans. What team doesn't have bandwagoners when they are winning? The Caps have a solid fanbase and the people are into it. Should be a great atmosphere tonight.

They didn't have bandwagoners when they were winning in 1998. They do now.

They didn't have bandwagoners when they were winning in 1998. They do now.

I had an interesting chat the other night with my friend. We used to own season tickets together in the mid 90's. He hasn't been to a game here in 3 years and took his daughter to her first game while in town. He was a little nervous and prepped her that it was a big game, and the fans would be loud and crazy. He was SHOCKED what a difference there was from what he was used to experiencing. He likened the atmosphere to a pre-season game. Now, we used to have $5 tickets at the Aud and $10 at the arena. That type of pricing just isn't there anymore...and for the most part that fanbase isn't there as well. But he understood why I didn't mind going to the bar and watching games instead of the game itself now.

I think you've come around to that line of thinking this year a bit, but it was interesting hearing it from someone who was viewing the game from a clean slate

Another Buffalo transplant in MD. I can't make this game tonight but usually attend when the Sabres are in town. Always lots of Buffalo jersey's around since there are tons of WNY transplants around here.

I think Caps fans get a little bit of a bad rap in this thread. While the entire fanbase are not as knowledgable about hockey as Buffalo fans...the core "rock the red" group are every bit as rowdy and loud as Sabres fans. What team doesn't have bandwagoners when they are winning? The Caps have a solid fanbase and the people are into it. Should be a great atmosphere tonight.

I've been to a few Caps games in the last couple of years. Their fans get in to it. The place is rocking and they don't slump and sulk when the team is down. They are loud and encouraging throughout. Should be loud and red tonight.

I've been to a few Caps games in the last couple of years. Their fans get in to it. The place is rocking and they don't slump and sulk when the team is down. They are loud and encouraging throughout. Should be loud and red tonight.

I'm still not sure where you're coming from. In 1998, the Caps had a team go to the Finals. The MCI Center was half-empty most of the time (and in the subsequent years, too), unless Washington was playing Buffalo, Pittsburgh, NYR, or Filly, in which case it was full, but 50/50. IOW, in 1998, they didn't even have bandwagon fans. I'm not sure how that relates to what your friend experienced at the F'N Center, or even what I experienced at the Montreal game last week.

I'm still not sure where you're coming from. In 1998, the Caps had a team go to the Finals. The MCI Center was half-empty most of the time (and in the subsequent years, too), unless Washington was playing Buffalo, Pittsburgh, NYR, or Filly, in which case it was full, but 50/50. IOW, in 1998, they didn't even have bandwagon fans. I'm not sure how that relates to what your friend experienced at the F'N Center, or even what I experienced at the Montreal game last week.

I went twice last year, when they were playing Florida. Boring Florida and I've got to tell you it was far louder than the half a dozen games I've been to in the last two years at HSBC. Haven't been their since FNC, but I can tell you I went to Opening day two years ago in Buffalo against Montreal. Opening day and it was as dead and quiet as a morgue. You may not like that horn guy in DC, but he gets and keeps the fans in it these days. You'll hear it tonight. That place will be loud.

I went twice last year, when they were playing Florida. Boring Florida and I've got to tell you it was far louder than the half a dozen games I've been to in the last two years at HSBC. Haven't been their since FNC, but I can tell you I went to Opening day two years ago in Buffalo against Montreal. Opening day and it was as dead and quiet as a morgue. You may not like that horn guy in DC, but he gets and keeps the fans in it these days. You'll hear it tonight. That place will be loud.

I have no doubt that the DC crowd, on average, is louder than what I saw last week; as for the rest of it, I don't know.

My remark really was directed to this, from zow12: "What team doesn't have bandwagoners when they are winning?" Answer: DC, in 1998.

I think it's gotten far afield.

Those of you who are lucky to be there tonight, have fun & be loud!

I have no doubt that the DC crowd, on average, is louder than what I saw last week; as for the rest of it, I don't know.

My remark really was directed to this, from zow12: "What team doesn't have bandwagoners when they are winning?" Answer: DC, in 1998.

I think it's gotten far afield.

Those of you who are lucky to be there tonight, have fun & be loud!

As you are well aware, it's been quiet at the Mmarena all season. (At least the handful of games I've been at.) Saturday was kind of shocking how quiet it was considering how important the game was IMHO.

As you are well aware, it's been quiet at the Mmarena all season. (At least the handful of games I've been at.) Saturday was kind of shocking how quiet it was considering how important the game was IMHO.

Nah, I've been to some loud ones, including one against DC. It hasn't been all season. Sorry to hear that Saturday was as bad as last week's Habs game.

That is the game my buddy was at, and what prompted his conversation. He was all pumped and used the word "shocked", at the atmosphere. In my opinion, the '06-'07 run is what did the atmosphere in. It became the "in" thing to do, and with prices what they are....it led to a much bigger white-collar, family ticket base.

You've got 1500 tickets available at $23, another 3500 or so between $30-$41, and the rest run $54-$92. It costs someone $1800 just to get in the door for a pair of season tickets. 20 years ago you could get in for $5 and the minnimum wage was $4+ an hour with an average salary of $24K. Now it is $23 to get in and $7 an hour and an average of $34K. There's your atmosphere right there.

but for some reason watching this game even though I know its not the last of the season I feel like their season is ending. I wonder if the caps feel it too.

Definitely sounds like the fans do. Very, very quiet in VC. I can usually here them all the way over here, but not now. It's usually hard to hear what the comms are saying.

http://fans.capitals...h/page__st__160

This isn't even the ###### point I was making. But now, this one is made, too. Good Lord.

but for some reason watching this game even though I know its not the last of the season I feel like their season is ending. I wonder if the caps feel it too.

Definitely sounds like the fans do. Very, very quiet in VC. I can usually here them all the way over here, but not now. It's usually hard to hear what the comms are saying.

http://fans.capitals...h/page__st__160

This isn't even the ###### point I was making. But now, this one is made, too. Good Lord.

Funny reading their board. Fans are the same, no matter what board they are on or what team they root for.

I stole this from their board,,, Made me laugh

"Ever been Buffalo?

I think in Cherokee it means the path to Ontario"

Give 'em credit for a sense of humor.

Great job pillaging last night to all my Sabre fan brothers and sisters. The let's go Buffalo chant was coming through loud and clear in my man cave!

Was just coming to post same sentiment. Buffalo fans were mentioned in the News as well as Puck Daddy..pretty cool. Just a shout out o Caps fans though..and as an ex Caps season ticket holder i know..good crowd, great atmosphere, great fans who get we can cheer for different teams and still have fun at the game.

Only bummer was wife allergies were killing her, so i had to drive home.

Man..if not for this thread I wouldn't have spontainiously bought tickets on Sunday and gone last night. So glad I did..what a great game. We had a bunch of Sabres fans in my section too. I'd say overall Sabres were maybe 1/8th of the crowd..but we were pretty loud despite the caps fans trying to drown us out (at least before they all left the arena with 10 minutes left in the 3rd). I've been to 3/4 of the Sabres/Caps games this year (missed the first blowout in Buffalo) but I think this was the best because it meant the most.

Funny reading their board. Fans are the same, no matter what board they are on or what team they root for.

I stole this from their board,,, Made me laugh

"Ever been Buffalo?

I think in Cherokee it means the path to Ontario"

Give 'em credit for a sense of humor.

Though they could have picked a tribe that actually was from the area.

Honestly--- you haven't truly lived until you've invaded an enemy arena and completely taken over, even when outnumbered. What a feeling to victoriously chant "Let's Go, Buffalo!" with the inevitable Bills' Shout! "ay-ay-ayyy-ay!"s thrown in for good measure as you walk out of the arena.

What's more, is all day bragging rights at work. Hopefully those bragging rights can last well into the Post Season.

Archived