Kassian to Vancouver for Hodgson

shrader

Not meant as a dig on Hodgson, but you could put Matt Ellis out there between Vanek and Pommers and he would get points.

They are playing well, but Coho is a huge part of why - could Matt Ellis have passed like that to Vanek on the first goal? Watch the guy play, he opens up the ice for them by drawing players away. He might be third in points but that doesn't mean he is just riding shotgun in all this

Not meant as a dig on Hodgson, but you could put Matt Ellis out there between Vanek and Pommers and he would get points.

Am i the only one that thinks hodgson is great? the KID has been excellent, creating chance after chance. it is a joke if you think luke adam is even close to what this kid is. vanek and pommer do not make him good, he is good, and he is what allows vanek and pommer to be even better. he is a perfect fit on that line and he will only get better. how many nhl games has the kid played? give him a freakin break.

Am i the only one that thinks hodgson is great? the KID has been excellent, creating chance after chance. it is a joke if you think luke adam is even close to what this kid is. vanek and pommer do not make him good, he is good, and he is what allows vanek and pommer to be even better. he is a perfect fit on that line and he will only get better. how many nhl games has the kid played? give him a freakin break.

I think he has much more game than Adam (although I think Adam could be a good NHL player if he wanted it as bad as Cody does).

Is Hodgson benefiting from being with Vanek/Pommer more than, less than or the same as Kassian is benefiting from being with Sedin/Sedin?

Remember, if you answer "same as" or "more than", then you are acknowledging that Vanek/Pommer are as good as or better than Sedin/Sedin at making their teammates better.

I remember Ink saying (from watching Amerks games) that Hodgson makes players around him better without it being obvious. Hodgson is a good center and does the right things away from the puck. He's not bad with the puck, either.

Is Hodgson benefiting from being with Vanek/Pommer more than, less than or the same as Kassian is benefiting from being with Sedin/Sedin?

Remember, if you answer "same as" or "more than", then you are acknowledging that Vanek/Pommer are as good as or better than Sedin/Sedin at making their teammates better.

Less.

not at all. I can't believe the posters upthread that are comparing hodgson to Luke Adam? Its not even close. Hodgson is certainly one of the reasons that line is so successful. Sure Vanek and pommers are the best two players on that line, but Hodgson has made the plays to allow them to play to that level

less. Not even close

I never said Hodgson isn't good, or that Luke was better, but for those that want to argue that Vanek and Pomminstein aren't possibly making Hodgson look much better, Up until around this many games last season, Luke was looking really impressive and when taken away from Vanek and Pomminstein, he can't get out of the AHL.........

I think its stupid how fans constantly have to argue every trade to try and prove their team "won" it. This is one of those trades were both teams "won". The Sabres had to give up something good in order to get something good back. I hated the idea that they had to give up Kassian, but theres no way they get anything good for their garbage. The Canucks had a surplus of Centres, and Cody was stuck being a 3rd liner because of the great players ahead of him at that position. The Canucks needed toughness as they were being considered even softer then the Sabres. The Sabres get a young kid with the potential to be a solid #1 Centre who would have never achieved this in Vancouver due to the logjam they had ahead of him. The Canucks get a young "gritty" forward who had the potential to be tough with offensive upside. Both look to be beginning to live up to their potential and its looking like a great move for both teams.

I never said Hodgson isn't good, or that Luke was better, but for those that want to argue that Vanek and Pomminstein aren't possibly making Hodgson look much better, Up until around this many games last season, Luke was looking really impressive and when taken away from Vanek and Pomminstein, he can't get out of the AHL.........

I think its stupid how fans constantly have to argue every trade to try and prove their team "won" it. This is one of those trades were both teams "won". The Sabres had to give up something good in order to get something good back. I hated the idea that they had to give up Kassian, but theres no way they get anything good for their garbage. The Canucks had a surplus of Centres, and Cody was stuck being a 3rd liner because of the great players ahead of him at that position. The Canucks needed toughness as they were being considered even softer then the Sabres. The Sabres get a young kid with the potential to be a solid #1 Centre who would have never achieved this in Vancouver due to the logjam they had ahead of him. The Canucks get a young "gritty" forward who had the potential to be tough with offensive upside. Both look to be beginning to live up to their potential and its looking like a great move for both teams.

To the bolded: Is anybody saying that Vanek and Pommers aren't making Cody look better?

And yes, that's exactly how I feel about this trade. Thank you.

I certainly don't look at it as having to 'win' the trade but the fans bashing him for the sake of being contrarian are way off base. Everyone on the Sabres can't be horrible and Hodgson seems to fit in well on our top line and Vanek and Pomminstein are having strong starts partly because we have a capable pass first center for them now

I think it's awesome. It'll be really interesting to talk about this year, and next year, and for the next few years. It doesn't get much better than two teams swapping their top prospects. The Lindros trade defined an era of Flyers hockey but resulted in the Avalanche winning championships. This trade won't be that monumental, but it could certainly change the course of both franchises if only one of these guys pans out, or even if they both do.

It looked like the Sabres had the edge at the end of last season and right now I'd give Vancouver a slight edge. Ideally, both players could pan out, and the "winner" of the trade will flip-flop several times and ultimately never be clear. As boring as the Sabres have been since Black Sunday, this is something that's fun to talk about.

And if you want some quick entertainment, just read the first 10 pages of this thread to see the initial reactions.

Worst Trade Ever.

Oh wait what happened last night?

It's a trade. Both teams are supposed to win in the end. I remember people jumping all over Darcy after Burke's "fleecing" comments. Now Vancouver doesn't get "fleeced" and people are yapping about that.

Worst Trade Ever.

Oh wait what happened last night?

It's a trade. Both teams are supposed to win in the end. I remember people jumping all over Darcy after Burke's "fleecing" comments. Now Vancouver doesn't get "fleeced" and people are yapping about that.

How often is there a trade where both teams benefit exactly equally? Honestly, that's probably never happened.

Arguing about if "Player A was better than Player B" or who won a trade are pretty much the two staples of sports talk. I don't get why anyone is offended that people are comparing Hodgson and Kassian less than a year after they were traded for one another. It's easily one of the most interesting things we've had to talk about in the past few years, and should continue to be (if we're lucky).

Also, this whole thread is the "Kassian traded for Cody Hodgson" thread. If you don't want to talk about (or read about) the pros and cons of that trade, just don't come to this thread.

Don't think Luke Adam would have threaded that pass for TV's one-timer.

Don't think Matt Ellis would have buried Vanek's pass on that 2-on-1.

Cody sucks on faceoffs and he has been a step out of place in the d-zone more than a few times.

But he's in his second season for christ sake.

The guy thinks, he works, he's got hands, he wants to win and he wants to get better. He is getting better.

I'd take him over Derek Roy in a heartbeat.

Cody sucks on faceoffs and he has been a step out of place in the d-zone more than a few times.

The guy thinks, he works, he's got hands, he wants to win and he wants to get better. He is getting better.

Good post.

Another way to look at it: Hodgson, Myers, and Ennis were all drafted in the first round in 2008. Of those three, who is the best right now? Pretty clearly Cody Hodgson (though Myers has had the better career).

Of those three, who will be the best in 2014? 2015? Another fun thing to keep track of. (Although, only "fun" if none of them completely flame out.)

Kassian is banging bodies and dropping the gloves with the likes of Ryan Clowe. I'm sure there is some additional confidence from the early offensive success which can be a benefit of playing with the Sedins. The physical part of the game is all Kassian. Hodgson doesn't bring much more than any offensive success he is having. His face-off percentage is at 38.6 percent.

As of today Vanek and Pominville are in the top four in scoring in the NHL. Neither Sedin are currently in the top 50 in scoring.

i have to say that i was never impressed with adam while he was on the line early in the season last year. to me it looked as though he was lost most of the time and just happened to get a few points because of vanek and pommer. just my opinion. hodgson looks as though every move he makes, he makes on purpose. i feel as though the line consists of the three players, not vanek, pommers, and then (insert name here). they look scary almost every shift. im very excited to see how this lines grows as the season progresses.

what i am worried about, is our freakin Dmen. just plain awful nearly all season.

As of today Vanek and Pominville are in the top four in scoring in the NHL. Neither Sedin are currently in the top 50 in scoring.

So, do you think that Vanek and Pominville are better than the Sedins? I think that I know your answer, but I'm legitimately asking.

If your answer is no, then does that mean that adding Hodgson to a weaker pair (or, at least, not a better one) has thus far been more productive, as a line, than adding Kassian to a stronger pair? 33 points in 20 man games vs. 17 points in 21 man games.

Kassian is banging bodies and dropping the gloves with the likes of Ryan Clowe.

Yes, he did fight Clowe, but there is pressure for him to do so and he has rightly answered the bell. But you're merely referring to hit stats when you say he is "banging bodies". He has not been exceptionally physical as a checker. That aspect of his game is inflated by generous hit tabulators from the games I've watched.

If you can't appreciate Hodgson's game then you're trying too hard to ignore him. They have both matured nicely this season and are valuable additions to their respective teams thus far.

Edited by Punch