If you are in charge, which players do you keep?

Weave

New GM: Rick Dudley

New coach: Mike Keenan

Vanek - Ennis - Pominville

Gerbe - Adam - Kassian

Foligno - Szczechura - Kaleta

Boychuk - McCormick - Tropp

Ellis

Myers - Ehrhoff

Leopold - Gragnani

McNabb - Finley

Biega

Enroth

the forward lines: I like the top line. I think Ennis really opens up space, and the other two players compliment him. After that, your lines are a little dicey IMO. You have, effectively, two third lines and a fourth line...you're really not changing much other than getting rid the underacheivers (which I do like).

Defense: I really don't think MAG should replace Sekera. I really think Sekera is leagues ahead of MAG. Also, I think Regehr should still be in that lineup as well.

the forward lines: I like the top line. I think Ennis really opens up space, and the other two players compliment him. After that, your lines are a little dicey IMO. You have, effectively, two third lines and a fourth line...you're really not changing much other than getting rid the underacheivers (which I do like).

Defense: I really don't think MAG should replace Sekera. I really think Sekera is leagues ahead of MAG. Also, I think Regehr should still be in that lineup as well.

I took his post as meaning that is what he wants to see to finish the year out. ie. after the rest is sent off for picks and prospects. I would hate to see that lineup as is at the begining of next season. Not nearly enough offensive talent.

Pommer and Regehr stay, Everyone else gets listed in the MLS and a big sign with the new GMs face gets put up in the front lawn. Myers, Ennis, Gerbe, Foligno, Kassian, and McNabb demand premium, but they all get cleaned up and put to market.

Leino, Roy, and Staff get word that if there are no takers, they are 2 bad weeks away from waivers and a trip to Rochester/Finland to make millions in relative obscurity.

I still think we can make the playoffs.

I can appreciate that. I am more of a realist. Based on this teams play this year what give you reason for optimism?

What about the teams in 8th-13th place that the Sabres also need to climb past?

Please see the screenname.

Some times bad deals turn out good when you least expect it.

Also, without blind optimism, my life would be very very hard. Like this morning when I hit black ice and spun off the thruway on-ramp and into a guard rail causing damage to my car that will eat a bunch of cash that I need for a down payment on a house here in NY so my family has a place to live once we sell the house in Cincinnati, likely at a massive loss.

The way I look at it, the car was still drive-able so i didn't miss my first Monday at my new job. WIN!

Please see the screenname.

Some times bad deals turn out good when you least expect it.

Also, without blind optimism, my life would be very very hard. Like this morning when I hit black ice and spun off the thruway on-ramp and into a guard rail causing damage to my car that will eat a bunch of cash that I need for a down payment on a house here in NY so my family has a place to live once we sell the house in Cincinnati, likely at a massive loss.

The way I look at it, the car was still drive-able so i didn't miss my first Monday at my new job. WIN!

I really love people who can live life with optimism like that. I try to...most days I succeed...others not so much. At least you're ok after spinning out!

New GM: Rick Dudley

New coach: Mike Keenan

Vanek - Ennis - Pominville

Gerbe - Adam - Kassian

Foligno - Szczechura - Kaleta

Boychuk - McCormick - Tropp

Ellis

Myers - Ehrhoff

Leopold - Gragnani

McNabb - Finley

Biega

Enroth

Vanek - Free agent/Trade - Pominville

Foligno - Adam - Kassian

Tropp - Ennis - Kaleta

Gerbe -Turnbull - McCormick

Szezchura

Myers - Ehrhoff

McNabb - Regehr

Weber - Sekera

Brennan

I'm not going to potinficate about the goalies. I don't know or care what they might do.

I don't want Ennis on a defensive checking line but I wasn't sure how to work out the lines.

I like Tropp as a third line player and Turnbull as a fourth line player. Boychuk is having trouble getting inot the Amerks lineup. I'd be shocked if he ever sniffed the NHL.

That's basically what I've done here. Obviously this isn;t what I want the roster to look like come October, but you notice Miller is gone, well, he, along with a Sekera and a late pick probably fetched us a Stastny or another serious contender for #1 Center. If that ends up true, then all the centers I listed slide down one slot and McCormick can be let go or replace Ellis as the stand-by.

Defense, I admit I didn't think as hard about it as I did the offense, but I chose guys with the best plus/minus, and Gragnani's +/- is the best on the team, for one, and Regehr's is the worst. That Regehr, boy, if you aren't completely disappointed in his failure to bring veteran leadership and solidity to our defense, I sure am, and besides, he'd make excellent trade bait right now for a few picks.

What I've done is get rid of the people who really needed to produce for us and failed and kept the kids.

And I got them a hell of a GM/coach duo that will whip them into champions in a TENTH the time Regier and Ruff could ever do. Or...wait....what's ten times never......

EDIT: ink I like that too. Boychuk I looked all over for news as I saw the "X" next to his name when I perused the Amerks roster but found nothing that tole me anything substantial, but he's new and I wanted a bunch of young kids under Mike keenan (fantasy, I know, but hey)

Ink, I can get on board with what you've got.

Chimp: I hate the +/- ratings. MAG plays against other teams third and fourth lines, so of course his +/- is going to be higher than Regehr's. I think the thing with Regehr that gets overlooked is that he was brought in to be a physical force on the blueline on the top pairing against the opponents top line. Since the whole defense has been healthy, he's been looking better in that regard. In regards to what he was brought in for: he has been punishing people with hits left and right. I like him. I think he'll be important moving forward. I do like that you dumped the deadweight though

Keep:

Miller

Enroth

Myers (A) -Ehrhoff

Regehr-McNabb

Weber (A) -Sekera

Ennis-Pommer © -Vanek (A)

New #2 Center (hopefully Shane Doan)-Leino-Kassian

New #3 Center-Gerbe (A) -Kaleta

Adam-Tropp-McCormick/Ellis

Get rid of:

Roy

Stafford

Gaustad

Boyes

Leopold

MAG

Additions:

Doan

Parise

Both Doan and Parise (but there will only be enough $$ for both if Pommer, Vanek or Miller is unloaded, which I think is pretty unlikely)

Dave Bolland-type #3 center

Ink, I can get on board with what you've got.

Chimp: I hate the +/- ratings. MAG plays against other teams third and fourth lines, so of course his +/- is going to be higher than Regehr's. I think the thing with Regehr that gets overlooked is that he was brought in to be a physical force on the blueline on the top pairing against the opponents top line. Since the whole defense has been healthy, he's been looking better in that regard. In regards to what he was brought in for: he has been punishing people with hits left and right. I like him. I think he'll be important moving forward. I do like that you dumped the deadweight though

I like the +/- for defensemen. Not so much for the forwards. forwards are closer to the benches and get off the ice right after they give the puck away and are off for the inevitable goals against. And so what that MAG plays against the lower lines, so do a bunch of the other D-men, whose +/- was way worse than his. Sekera I needed for the Miller trade for Stastny or whoever.

Hackmeister Bucky does one of his worst cut jobs in this article on Boyes. I'll bet Boyes had no idea of the ambush he was in for with the guy with the innocent, boyish name of Bucky. Bucky is an amateurish hack and I'd like to see him canned. Sully, who in truth is a rejected New England baseball/football writer who for some reason is covering hockey, should go with him.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/columns/bucky-gleason/article737707.ece

I like the +/- for defensemen. Not so much for the forwards. forwards are closer to the benches and get off the ice right after they give the puck away and are off for the inevitable goals against. And so what that MAG plays against the lower lines, so do a bunch of the other D-men, whose +/- was way worse than his. Sekera I needed for the Miller trade for Stastny or whoever.

I can respect your opinion. I just really don't like the +/- system.

Archived